Gulp - Crow back to IR (vertigo-like symptoms, may be out for the season)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yes, but not contending.

Time to think about the future

What return would be acceptable to you? And how much salary would you be willing to retain? Who do you trade him to?

It's easy to say that any team should trade any individual player, but the point is that goalies especially are difficult to trade if you want anything in return.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
What return would be acceptable to you? And how much salary would you be willing to retain? Who do you trade him to?

It's easy to say that any team should trade any individual player, but the point is that goalies especially are difficult to trade if you want anything in return.

The window to trade Crawford was open last Spring and Stan immediately traded Darling. It's too late now, and besides what makes anyone think that Stan is about to trade him anyway. CC is in all likelihood a Blackhawk for life. Accept it and move on.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The window to trade Crawford was open last Spring and Stan immediately traded Darling. It's too late now, and besides what makes anyone think that Stan is about to trade him anyway. CC is in all likelihood a Blackhawk for life. Accept it and move on.

Crow for life will depend on Forsberg's development (maybe even Nalimov), imo.

Seeing what Darling has done this season, do you think Stan made the right choice? I was in the keep Darling (for 3.0 AAV) and move Crow camp. Looks like Stan was right so far.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Crow for life will depend on Forsberg's development (maybe even Nalimov), imo.

Seeing what Darling has done this season, do you think Stan made the right choice? I was in the keep Darling (for 3.0 AAV) and move Crow camp. Looks like Stan was right so far.

Ask me again in June.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

No, it was closed back then as well. Darling was an upcoming free agent with no proven starter record while Crow was an accomplished goalie with term. There's no comparison. And the return we got for Darling as a mere early option to negotiate with him was great for us. Not to mention that we were still in win now mode as an organization last offseason, and probably still are despite how on or off the team looks as a whole for chunks of time.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but aside from attempting to trade a bad contract, trading any goalie with term is probably the most difficult task for any GM. Elite teams don't need a starter, great teams that are a starter away likely don't have cap space, middling teams are usually more than a goalie away from being a contender, and rebuilding teams shouldn't want to mortgage their future by giving away picks or prospects for a goalie. That doesn't leave many open landing spots for a goalie, and when you do see established starters get moved the return is almost always underwhelming and usually involves eating a chunk of the guy's salary.

In reality, Darling versus Crow was always a nonsensical debate aside from about a week in 2015 during the Nashville series.

Reactions: LordKOTL

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Crow gets ridden pretty hard by Q except for when Darling was here. And even then Q overused Craw a bit. Q knows his future rides on Crow standing on his head nightly. Which is why Q will be gone after a couple weeks of losing and being out of the playoffs ( he will be gone at year end but these next two weeks will really decide our position).

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I was in the camp for trading Crow and keeping Darling. He proved me wrong for sure.

Thing is he is playing above his contract now, has value. Many of our vets with huge contracts are difficult to impossible to move and would likely require us to give up young assets and retain salary. Crow is the one vet who we would not only potentially get cap space but could acquire young assets for. It would kill the team this year for sure but would it be good for the future? If this team is going nowhere its worth considering. Crawford might stink next year and then he would be just like the other vets.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Again, look at the reality of the NHL. Goalies with term are almost never traded, and when they are traded the team that moved them almost always has an underwhelming return with some salary retained, even when talking about good goalies with good cap hits. That's not a coincidence.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Terrible news

Hopefully the Hawks can overcome this but Forsberg has not inspired confidence thus far that he can help keep team afloat
this is my eye test assessment on Forsberg. ..... he is not ready to assume the mantle of an everyday goalie, even if it is meant as a backup. he, imho needs to be in rfd getting 1 more yr of everyday starts.

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
giphy.gif

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I was in the camp for trading Crow and keeping Darling. He proved me wrong for sure.

Thing is he is playing above his contract now, has value. Many of our vets with huge contracts are difficult to impossible to move and would likely require us to give up young assets and retain salary. Crow is the one vet who we would not only potentially get cap space but could acquire young assets for. It would kill the team this year for sure but would it be good for the future? If this team is going nowhere its worth considering. Crawford might stink next year and then he would be just like the other vets.

Again, look at the reality of the NHL. Goalies with term are almost never traded, and when they are traded the team that moved them almost always has an underwhelming return with some salary retained, even when talking about good goalies with good cap hits. That's not a coincidence.
If there was a time to trade Dr. Craw, it would probably be the TDL 0f 2020.

Terrible news

Hopefully the Hawks can overcome this but Forsberg has not inspired confidence thus far that he can help keep team afloat
I think the 'hawks core is in a sorry state when it's Forsberg's job to keep the team afloat. Now, while Kane is not doing too badly (but still not an outright powerhouse being 20th in the league in most O categories), the rest of our 5M+ players have been congealed buttsweat.

Injury prone? so I take it you wouldn't want Price either? he has been more injury prone.
You could add Bishop to that list...plus a few others.

I don't think there's much value Kiprusoff'ing the goalie.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Lol. The guy who's played 55+ games every season since 2010, except the lockout year, is injury prone?

Crawford wasn't injury prone at all in his 20's. In fact he was an iron horse. Now in his 30's, it seems obvious that his workload needs to be reduced. I don't think Q quite gets that or doesn't want to get it.

Darling was able to step in last year when CC was injured - let's hope Forsberg can do the same this time around.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Crawford wasn't injury prone at all in his 20's. In fact he was an iron horse. Now in his 30's, it seems obvious that his workload needs to be reduced. I don't think Q quite gets that or doesn't want to get it.

Darling was able to step in last year when CC was injured - let's hope Forsberg can do the same this time around.

Crawford wasn't injured last year, he had a medical emergency. I think that's a distinction that needs to be made.

GP by Crow

10-11 57
11-12 57
12-13 30 (Lockout)
13-14 59
14-15 57
15-16 58
16-17 55

His workload has been incredibly consistent throughout the years. So the idea that he's recently, in his 30s as you say, been injured much more, just isn't true.

Also, with regards to Crow's workload, he's only been in the top 10 in GP once when he was 9th in 13-14. I'd argue that is one thing Q has actually done pretty well over the years.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Crawford wasn't injured last year, he had a medical emergency. I think that's a distinction that needs to be made.

GP by Crow

10-11 57
11-12 57
12-13 30 (Lockout)
13-14 59
14-15 57
15-16 58
16-17 55

His workload has been incredibly consistent throughout the years. So the idea that he's recently, in his 30s as you say, been injured much more, just isn't true.

Also, with regards to Crow's workload, he's only been in the top 10 in GP once when he was 9th in 13-14. I'd argue that is one thing Q has actually done pretty well over the years.

I think when it comes to the appendix, we can all agree he came back too early, probably because Darling was rolling but who knows. It’s interesting how the self interest plays in with athletes. I’ve always been fascinated by the contract year performance in all sports. Are they training more or are they shooting pain killers and damaging their long term ability so they can max out the contract? It’s part of the deal but it can be frustrating for fans.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think when it comes to the appendix, we can all agree he came back too early, probably because Darling was rolling but who knows. It’s interesting how the self interest plays in with athletes. I’ve always been fascinated by the contract year performance in all sports. Are they training more or are they shooting pain killers and damaging their long term ability so they can max out the contract? It’s part of the deal but it can be frustrating for fans.

That's purely speculation and hindsight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad