Guess the Chevy-Maurice contract extensions ain't look'in so bad now eh?!?

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I find it funny that this season might see us running with same two goalies from last season, but with better results.

This was last seasons solution that many were very upset about. It was broken then but working now, just needed a bit of time, thats all

Reactions: Flair Hay

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
From the corsica site I pulled the yearly Jets league ranking for 5 on 5 numbers for GAA and xGA per game. If we take the view that expected goals represents a composite statistic that does a reasonable job of measuring a team's ability to suppress goals (through shot oppression and the danger of shots being given up) then I think these number are of interest.

Year SV % Ranking xGoals Ranking It is interesting to see how our ranking has improved under Maurice, with the exception of 2016 which was the beginning of our transition
to a more youthful team. I was actually surprised to see such a big gap last year which really shows how much our goaltenders struggled
2012 23 24 and also that the team was starting to make some strides in defending better.
2013 26 23 It also indicates that our favourable results this year in keeping pucks out of our net are a function of very good goal tending
2014 23 22 combined with a team that is defending well in front of them.
2015 9 13 It is also interesting that our combined save percentage this year actually ranks below the xGoals ranking which is clearly the result of
2016 23 20 Mason's number dragging the combined number down. Looking at Helle in isolation would result in our team ranking for sv %
2017 27 12 going from 14th to 6th for this year.
2018 14 7

Sorry for the formatting not working out.
The numbers going from left to right are the rankings by year/SV%/XGoal per game

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I posted this in the Helle thread but believe it is relevant here.

Quick back of the envelope math on Helle's current sv% vs 0.906 that I used for Pav/past years. 25 less GA in 43 games. That's about 0.6 less goals against for Helle games this year compared to if we had Pav in those games. Seems like a really big number! Way to go Helle!

Just going by goal differential, ours would drop from +32 to +7 and on now we are on the bubble of a playoff spot. Not sure how much Maurice love would be thrown around if Helle didnt bring All Star keeping this year. Great job scouts for finding Helle. Great job Helle for whatever you did to work on your game away from Flaherty in the off season . Great job Maurice for having an All Star goaltender at your disposal.
So, last year it was Maurice's fault we did poorly and this year it is Helle that has made us a better team?
gotcha...

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
I posted this in the Helle thread but believe it is relevant here.

Quick back of the envelope math on Helle's current sv% vs 0.906 that I used for Pav/past years. 25 less GA in 43 games. That's about 0.6 less goals against for Helle games this year compared to if we had Pav in those games. Seems like a really big number! Way to go Helle!

Just going by goal differential, ours would drop from +32 to +7 and on now we are on the bubble of a playoff spot. Not sure how much Maurice love would be thrown around if Helle didnt bring All Star keeping this year. Great job scouts for finding Helle. Great job Helle for whatever you did to work on your game away from Flaherty in the off season . Great job Maurice for having an All Star goaltender at your disposal.

I think using last year as a benchmark for goaltending performance is greatly overstating the impact Helle is having this year. I think many people here were of the opinion that getting league average goaltending would be sufficient to make us a playoff team this year. I think league average is typically a little north of .915 so at least half of the improvement we are seeing this year is moving away from the subpar (dramatically so) goaltending of last year to what we are now seeing which is clearly above average goaltending that is a big part of why we are so high in the standings.

It should also be mentioned that team's with poor save percentages rarely make the playoffs for obvious reasons so the mere fact that we would still be in contention right now with that kind of goaltending is actually quite amazing. Off the top of my head I can only think of one team that has made the playoffs recently with goaltending like that and that was Dallas a few years ago and they did it by simply out scoring teams in a lot of their games.

The last thing to mention about goaltender performance measures is the impact that shot suppression in the high danger areas can have. Charts that have been posted on this site clearly show that the Jets have been strong in this area this year and one would expect team's that do well at suppressing shots in these danger zones are more likely to have goalies with higher save percentages. In any event credit for what we are seeing for our improved goals against can be given to all the players as well as the coaches, but clearly Helle is the biggest contributor to this and deserves much credit for his dramatically improved play.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So, Helle's All Star goaltending performance level this year does not make us a better team? Gotcha...
Hellebuyck has been terrific, but the chart below illustrates why his numbers have been so good. The Jets are doing a fantastic job of limiting shots from areas in front of and near the net. The Avs game was a good illustration. He got a shutout without much of a test...

WPG

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
About as much as his sub-par play affected the Jets last year.

Sub par compared to who, the guy he replaced? Even though he wasn't an All Star last year, he was better than the guy he replaced.

I feel like you are tying yourself in knots trying to avoid saying that Helle's play helps the Jets this year. I could be wrong but that's the way it comes across. But it's true, his All Star level of goaltending is really helping us this year.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Sub par compared to who, the guy he replaced? Even though he wasn't an All Star last year, he was better than the guy he replaced.

I feel like you are tying yourself in knots trying to avoid saying that Helle's play helps the Jets this year. I could be wrong but that's the way it comes across. But it's true, his All Star level of goaltending is really helping us this year.
Not at all I feel that the goaltending is the single biggest reason why the team is doing better this year, it's just that I am getting sick of everybody dumping on a coach that has his team playing about as well as they can.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
When I said sub par I meant sub par compared to the rest of the starting goaltenders.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Winnipeg Jets best record ever was 43-27-10. 16 games above 500.
That was the ear of the six 30 plus goal scorers.
Right now we’re 9 games above real 500.
Should make it. Chevy has put a great team together.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Winnipeg Jets best record ever was 43-27-10. 16 games above 500.
That was the ear of the six 30 plus goal scorers.
Right now we’re 9 games above real 500.
Should make it. Chevy has put a great team together.
Yes.. back in '84-'85. Used to listen to the games on 58 CKY.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Hellebuyck has been good, but he's also playing behind a very good team playing a very good defensive game. Can you find anything positive about Maurice's coaching this season?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Hellebuyck has been good, but he's also playing behind a very good team playing a very good defensive game. Can you find anything positive about Maurice's coaching this season?

Sure.

I think Maurice is doing fine. The team is doing well, so he shares in the credit. We have less odd man rushes this year and fewer penalties, and I want to believe that coaching has been a factor in that. I think that he is overplaying Helle a little bit, but he has been the hot hand and its hard not to play the hot hand. I like the fact that early in the year he transitioned from the anointed starter Mason, to the better keeper Helle. In past years it seems like he played the biggest contract at times as opposed to the best player. So that's a positive. I like the fact that he protects players in interviews. He really focusses on players positives. He is a master with the press. I like the fact that he genuinely loves the community. Buf has mostly been good Buf. Not sure but maybe he is influencing Buf a bit this year. I generally like the way injury replacements have been handled.

Just because I attribute Jets success to a combination of factors and don't jump on the Maurice is one of the greatest coaches in the NHL bandwagon doesnt mean I think he sucks. I think he is what his record says, an about average NHL coach with lots of experience. That by the way makes him one of the best hockey coaches in the world.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think Maurice is doing fine. The team is doing well, so he shares in the credit. We have less odd man rushes this year and fewer penalties, and I want to believe that coaching has been a factor in that.

Here's one thing that's changed that can likely be attributed to coaching:

2016_vs_2017_shot_locations.gif

That's a pretty impressive change in shot location tendencies, and likely contributes to our goalies lessened workload when it comes to high danger chances.

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
Sure.

I think Maurice is doing fine. The team is doing well, so he shares in the credit. We have less odd man rushes this year and fewer penalties, and I want to believe that coaching has been a factor in that. I think that he is overplaying Helle a little bit, but he has been the hot hand and its hard not to play the hot hand. I like the fact that early in the year he transitioned from the anointed starter Mason, to the better keeper Helle. In past years it seems like he played the biggest contract at times as opposed to the best player. So that's a positive. I like the fact that he protects players in interviews. He really focusses on players positives. He is a master with the press. I like the fact that he genuinely loves the community. Buf has mostly been good Buf. Not sure but maybe he is influencing Buf a bit this year. I generally like the way injury replacements have been handled.

Just because I attribute Jets success to a combination of factors and don't jump on the Maurice is one of the greatest coaches in the NHL bandwagon doesnt mean I think he sucks. I think he is what his record says, an about average NHL coach with lots of experience. That by the way makes him one of the best hockey coaches in the world.

Just because some people have come out with some positive statements about the coaching job Maurice has done this year does not equate to anybody making the claim that Maurice is one of the greatest coaches. Nobody has said that and I would be shocked if anybody actually thinks that. Clearly sustained success over a period of years is the only way for a coach to be judged that way. But what we can say this year is that Maurice and his coaching staff need to be given credit along with our players and management for what we are seeing. Maurice has taken a whole lot of heat here over the past couple of years and many people were concerned (including me) that he was the right coach so I for one am very happy to give the guy some props during a season when everything is coming together for the team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sure.

Please try to show at least one post that suggests that there is anything close to a bandwagon that claims that "Maurice is one of the greatest coaches in the NHL". It hasn't existed here on HF Jets. However, there has been a pretty crowded bandwagon called "Maurice is one of the worst coaches in the NHL". That bandwagon is a little less crowded today. I'm hoping there aren't too many LBIs from those jumping off... ;)

The "Chevy is a do-nothing moron" bandwagon is also looking a bit lonelier these days...

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Please try to show at least one post that suggests that there is anything close to a bandwagon that claims that "Maurice is one of the greatest coaches in the NHL".

Wow. I must have misunderstood some of the comments. Apologies. Glad that we agree that Maurice is about average as far as NHL coaches go.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
How about: Maurice, along with the Jets as a whole, is having a damn fine year. Maybe, just maybe, despite earlier valid reservations, he is the right man for the job. This success is new, so let's not get ahead of ourselves. But I'm cool with him at the helm right now. Let's see where he can take this thing.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Hellebuyck has been terrific, but the chart below illustrates why his numbers have been so good. The Jets are doing a fantastic job of limiting shots from areas in front of and near the net. The Avs game was a good illustration. He got a shutout without much of a test...

WPG
Looking at that chart, there appears to be a big discrepancy in how teams are focussing on RD vs LD. Few shots of any concern coming from the right side; on the left, teams taking a lot of shots from outside the faceoff circle (low danger area) but also quite a few from a danger area 15 feet out & inside the faceoff circle. Having little experience at reading these, are those tendencies for real & do they reflect opponents recognizing that our RD is stronger than our LD?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Imo Maurice is a top 10 coach, probably in the 8-10 range. I'm also of the view that the difference between a top 10 coach and a bottom 10 coach in the NHL is very minimal. Coachs get too much credit (at times) when a team overperforms expectations and too much hate when a team underperforms.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad