Proposal: Guess Karlsson's 10 team no trade list

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Montreal, Pittsburgh(they cut his aicheles tendon ..), Arizona, Colorado, Carolina, Buffalo, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton.

Vegas would be a close 11 but probably better appeal than others.

MalkinsPierogi

Aug 15, 2016
Indiana, PA
the comments about karlsson being hurt against pittsburgh are somewhat understandable but Karlsson and Sid are friends and have a great amount of respect for each other. If Karlsson wants a chance to win the cup, you don't turn down a trade to the 2x reigning stanley cup champs. Especially when it's the team that beat him.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Idk, but I hope he becomes a Duck. Got some good available assets. Love to have him in the division. Would be a cup threat, and I'd be super happy for Bieksa, less so for Kesler but still him too.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
1.EDM
2.CGY
3.WPG
4.VAN
5.TOR
6.MTL
7.BUF
8.ARZ
9.NYI
10.FLA
(Honourable Mention: COL)

It's been said that Karlsson doesn't like playing in a hockey crazy Canadian market where he can't take a dump without being asked for a picture. I'm guessing, unless he is going to stay in Ottawa due to the roots he has here already (wife's family, a decade of living here), that he would not want to start over with another Canadian team.

Islanders are on the list due to the instability of their arena situation.

The other 3-4 teams are either teams that have missed the playoffs multiple years in a row, or are budget teams who may not be able to pay him and remain competitive. Judging by what Karlsson has said over the last few weeks, winning is one of his biggest priorities.

I don't think he'd want to go somewhere like TOR or EDM just to win, because there are places like TBL or NSH, both teams are perpetual playoff teams, and both are in quieter markets in terms of hockey stardom.

Dear god can you imagine if Stamkos was dealt for Karlsson how sick that TBL defends would be with Sergachev, Karlsson, and Hedman?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Idk, but I hope he becomes a Duck. Got some good available assets. Love to have him in the division. Would be a cup threat, and I'd be super happy for Bieksa, less so for Kesler but still him too.
Karlssson will probably want between $12M to $13M Ducks have an internal cap no way do i see Bob Murray offering Erik Karlsson what he would want.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
EK literally is the best D in the nhl by most people’s standard. So literally everyone could use him, just some aren’t a high priority or can’t afford him. Jets are the ladder imo, can’t afford his cap and wouldn’t give up the required pieces to get him. Good player, but Jets wouldn’t pursue any trade for him.

Best offensive defenseman, not best overall defenseman. Put me in the minority here if "most" would agree to that.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Which teams are budget teams? It's those 10.

Personally I think it would be the complete opposite. Very few of the budget teams are likely to be interested in trading the necessary assets for EK then trying to sign him to a $12m/year contract or whatever he ends up getting.

Why fill your 10 team NTC list up with the teams that are the least likely to trade for you?

You forgot Montreal

Why bother? Would Ottawa ever trade EK to Montreal?

Giacomo

Sep 26, 2017
Karlssson will probably want between $12M to $13M Ducks have an internal cap no way do i see Bob Murray offering Erik Karlsson what he would want.
He's damaged goods. Every year he has foot issues. Peter Forsberg's career ended early because of foot issues

Giacomo

Sep 26, 2017
Personally I think it would be the complete opposite. Very few of the budget teams are likely to be interested in trading the necessary assets for EK then trying to sign him to a $12m/year contract or whatever he ends up getting.

Why fill your 10 team NTC list up with the teams that are the least likely to trade for you?

Because it could happen if you leave it open. Buffalo and Detroit have both done deals with Montreal

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I would think when and if the time comes he'll identify the 10 teams he feels are farthest away from being a contender. He's getting his cash regardless of where he ends up, might as well shoot for the glory as well.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Oh, do people still think he wants to stay?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Oh, do people still think he wants to stay?

I don't know whether he wants to stay or not. The bottom line is a smarter NTC list gives him more control over where he might get traded to. And there's nothing preventing EK from approving a trade to a team on his NTC list if he likes it or changes his mind.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I don't know whether he wants to stay or not. The bottom line is a smarter NTC list gives him more control over where he might get traded to. And there's nothing preventing EK from approving a trade to a team on his NTC list if he likes it or changes his mind.
That makes some sense. But he might want to leave more options open if he's itching to get out.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
All of the Canadian teams plus NY Islanders, Carolina, Florida, and Arizona.

Also unlikely that Ottawa would trade with Tampa, Boston, Buffalo and Detroit if the above were the list since Ottawa probably wouldn't want Karlsson playing for a division rival.

Giacomo

Sep 26, 2017
And when was the last time Ottawa did a deal with Montreal? 2001, Andreas Dackell for an 8th round pick?
Ottawa seams to have more of a problem with Montreal than Montreal does with Ottawa but when people become desperate anything can happen

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The no trade list will include all but the two or three teams he would actually want to sign longterm with.

If EK wont or dosent want to sign with ottawa, you can guarantee the list of teams he does want to sign with is signficsntly less then 21.

Thats the problem with trading soon to be free agents, they control 100%.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
1. Toronto
2. Edmonton
3. Montreal
4. Vancouver
5. Winnipeg
6. Chicago
7. LA
8. NYR
9. NYI
10. Anaheim

Lol Pit would more likely be on his No trade list than Chicago, New York, and LA. World class cities that people actually want to play in.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad