GDT: Group B • Dec. 31 • Canada 3, United States 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Moleman

Was saying Boortuzzi
Apr 4, 2004
FTW
I like how the last few comments assume Russia will beat the Czechs, and Sweden will beat the Finns/Slovaks. Oh and of course Canada will beat Russia or the Czechs. Fans assume so many things in international tournies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
if Stone and Huberdeau get cold Canada is done

I am not impressed with D. Hamilton, Howden, Schwartz and Shiefele i thought they would be so much more effective.

i still think though our chances are good against sweden and russia... if we start wedge :)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I hope they prove me wrong, but they've been extremely unimpressive against Denmark and the USA. Hope they can turn it around.

Well if we play a full 60 min like we played the first 20 against the US we will do well if not then we will sink fast.

Tonight was a very difficult game for Canada because :

1) They jumped out to a 3 goal lead in a game that meant nothing. Talk about taking away your will to play. I have to believe staying (highly) motivated at the point is next to impossible.

2) Canada was not hitting. It is almost like they were worried about giving a hit, getting suspended and costing themselves a game when it counted.

Example: When Etem and Oleksiak got into a pushing match in front of the net. Etem was firey and ready for a verbal altercation. Oleksiak was reserved and did not want it to escalate.

You get the impression the coaches beat into their heads, over and over again, "DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID!!!"

3) Canada just seemed to want the game over - almost like it would never end for them. Then the injuries started to mount. Had to be demoralizing.

Overall, this was what Canada needed. A competitive game, against a strong opponent, before 3 days off.

Last edited by a moderator:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I like how the last few comments assume Russia will beat the Czechs, and Sweden will beat the Finns/Slovaks. Oh and of course Canada will beat Russia or the Czechs. Fans assume so many things in international tournies.

Canada-Finland final anyone???

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Tonight was a very difficult game for Canada because :

1) They jumped out to a 3 goal lead in a game that meant nothing. I have to believe staying (highly) motivated at the point is next to impossible.

2) Canada was not hitting. It is almost like they were worried about giving a hit, getting suspended and costing themselves a game when it counted.
Example: When Etem and Oleksiak got into a pushing match in front of the net. Etem was firey and ready for a verbal altercation. Oleksiak was reserved and did not want it to escalate.

You get the impression the coaches beat into their heads, over and over again, "DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID!!!"

3) Canada just seemed to want the game over - almost like it would never end for them.

Overall, this was what Canada needed. A competitive game, against a strong opponent, before 3 days off.

I agree with number 2 and not to mention when we did hit someone we got a penalty look at the phantom tripping and cross checking penlaties we got and the call against us to put us ina 4 on 4 situation after Jenner crashed the net. I think that had the boys looking over their shoulders more often than not

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I agree with number 2 and not to mention when we did hit someone we got a penalty look at the phantom tripping and cross checking penlaties we got and the call against us to put us ina 4 on 4 situation after Jenner crashed the net. I think that had the boys looking over their shoulders more often than not

The hitting was all one sided. They also looked worried - like they did not want to be the one that did something stupid and hurt the team when it counted.

The Canadian team looked like playing the game was a chore.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
The hitting was all one sided. They also looked worried - like they did not want to be the one that did something stupid and hurt the team when it counted.

The Canadian team looked like playing the game was a chore.

Yep like they knew it was meaningles and were already looking to the medal round. Being over cautious in a game like that seldome ends well.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Canada-Finland final anyone???

I am absolutely certain that Finland will not be going to the final. Even beating Slovakia will be a tough challenge. The D and the finish just aren't good enough against the top3.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I am absolutely certain that Finland will not be going to the final. Even beating Slovakia will be a tough challenge. The D and the finish just aren't good enough against the top3.

I disagree. Slovakia had their big win tonight and will be ready for a let down. Finland will win in their quarter final matchup.

Like Slovakia, Sweden had their miracle come back tonight, and will also have a let down.

Add the fact that Finland and Sweden have such a deep history... anything can happen... I think Finland beats Sweden in the Semi's.

I think the Czechs will beat the Russians in the quarters and lose to Canada in the Semi's...

Canada-Finland final.

:)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Yep like they knew it was meaningles and were already looking to the medal round. Being over cautious in a game like that seldome ends well.

Yes. It is a recipe for disaster (and injuries).

Mara

May 10, 2011
I disagree. Slovakia had their big win tonight and will be ready for a let down. Finland will win.

Like Slovakia, Sweden had their miracle come back tonight, and will also have a let down.

Besides, Finland and Sweden have such a deep history... anything can happen... I think Finland beats Sweden in the Semi's.

I think the Czechs will beat the Russians in the quarters and lose to Canada in the Semi's...

Canada-Finland final.

:)

In my opinion Sweden is miles ahead of Finland in individual skill and team play. Great goaltending alone isn't enough.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

In my opinion Sweden is miles ahead of Finland in individual skill and team play. Great goaltending alone isn't enough.

Fair enough but this is not a 7 game series. In a one game tournament like this, anything can happen.

The Fins would LOVE to take out the Swedes. The Swedes have also had their share of luck and are due for a let down.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I hope Beauli and Harrington are ready to go for the next game they are some big shoes to have to fill and a tough task with only 5 D.

Based on everything coming from TSN it sounds like they will be ready in 3 days. The bye will be a blessing.

4thliner*

I though Stone showcased his great play-making skills tonight. He was down right dominant in period 1 scoring, setting up Schwartz, and making a sick no look pass from the far corner to Huberduea who was all alone in front of the ney but could not finish.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I hope so that cheek/jaw swelling on Beauli looked eerily like a broken jaw which may keep him out.

However, he came out for the 3rd period so...

Makes me think his jaw is not broken.

They REALLY need a taxi squad for this tournament.

4thliner*

if Stone and Huberdeau get cold Canada is done

I am not impressed with D. Hamilton, Howden, Schwartz and Shiefele i thought they would be so much more effective.

i still think though our chances are good against sweden and russia... if we start wedge :)

Correction, if Stone gets cold. Hubeduea hasn't been finishing and only has 1 goal. Stone drew in 2 defenders in the far corner and set Hubby up in-front of USA net with no one anywhere near him near the end of the 1st period.

I think Schwartz has been excellent at both ends of the ice, Scheifele has been invisible, even that game he scored his only 2 pp goals. Schwartz was producing more in the pre-tourney games when he was centering Stone.

Connolly is also elevating his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad