GDT: Group B • Dec. 31 • Canada 3, United States 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

desdemona

May 25, 2008
Jack Campbell shows more class than the fans in Canada show during this tournament. Why the US is targeted like this is one of the great mysteries to us below the 48th. Whether it is this or the baloney about a Canada-based NHL team winning the cup when most of the players on all the US-based teams are from Canada, I simply do not get it. What have we done to Canada?

You became a rival worthy of our boos. We only do it to those who are a threat to us.

Personally, however, I find it distasteful to boo the US when the approach the ice, when their name is pronounced on the PA because they got a goal and whatnot. If I were at the Czech/US game, I'd be cheering on the Czechs, only cause I didn't want to cheer for the US but I would not be booing the US. But I guess that's just me.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
You became a rival worthy of our boos. We only do it to those who are a threat to us.

Personally, however, I find it distasteful to boo the US when the approach the ice, when their name is pronounced on the PA because they got a goal and whatnot. If I were at the Czech/US game, I'd be cheering on the Czechs, only cause I didn't want to cheer for the US but I would not be booing the US. But I guess that's just me.

I'm with you on all that. Just out of curiosity, did the crowds in Halifax or Winnipeg for example use to boo the Russians in a similar fashion or is this some kind of a new thing directed only at the Americans?

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Why the US is targeted like this is one of the great mysteries to us below the 48th.

It is the 49th.

I'm with you on all that. Just out of curiosity, did the crowds in Halifax or Winnipeg for example use to boo the Russians in a similar fashion or is this some kind of a new thing directed only at the Americans?

The fans paid, on average, $40 a ticket for every game to fill the stands and support this tournament. Those fans have the right to boo! Hockey Canada then distributes a percentage of that money to the different teams that participate in this tournament. If a country does not like our fans booing, feel free to stay home. Feel free to say no to the money.

Otherwise, grow a thicker skin.

Last edited by a moderator:

MyNameIsNobody*

... What have we done to Canada?

Nothing...we have a sport (hockey) that we are usually better at than the USA...you have us beat at soccer, football, down hill skiing, basketball, baseball...that's it, we are cocky at hockey the same way you guys are cocky with all other sports...no big deal...

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
It is the 49th.

The fans paid, on average, $40 a ticket for every game to fill the stands and support this tournament and those fans have the right to boo. Hockey Canada then distributes a percentage of this money to the different teams that participate in this tournament. If a country does not like our fans booing, feel free to stay home. Feel free to say no to the money.

Otherwise, grow a thicker skin.

Thanks for giving us all the answer. Jack Campbell ABSOLUTELY had the most class of anyone in that building. I just now changed my mind, and became glad that Vancouver lost in the finals to Boston, a team captained by a Euro and with an American goalie. That must be the reason they won. Boo all you want.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Nothing...we have a sport (hockey) that we are usually better at than the USA...you have us beat at soccer, football, down hill skiing, basketball, baseball...that's it, we are cocky at hockey the same way you guys are cocky with all other sports...no big deal...

Yeah, but there is no rampant booing of Canadians during other sports.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I just now changed my mind, and became glad that Vancouver lost in the finals to Boston, a team captained by a Euro and with an American goalie. That must be the reason they won. Boo all you want.

Hi TYM:

You forgot to mention that of the 21 players that played for the Bruins in the finals, 16 were Canadian.

I think we are both glad they won. :)

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut
Very glad Canada takes the US seriously enough in jr. hockey as to where they want to boo us. If anything I'm disappointed we weren't a worthy enough team this year. Hopefully we can rebound and prove to be a worthy opponent again next year.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hi TYM:

You forgot to mention that of the 21 players that played for the Bruins in the finals, 16 were Canadian.

I think we are both glad they won. :)

Man, I am so glad that people like you are here to remind us of that. I should start reminding you guys how many football players are American or something. Must be something easy to forget!

scotian1

Dec 19, 2011
Kingston, N.S.
If you watch this 5 min mini documentary with Tom Brokaw you will see how Canadians treat Americans when help is needed. This was true not only in Gander but also Halifax and Moncton during those few days. I am sure it would be true all across this country if the need arose. I also think Americans would do the same for Canadians.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUmCgQp5iNg

MyNameIsNobody*

Have you ever gone to a baseball, football game in the states??? The fans are scary!!! and the booooos get out of control...no where near as violent as the English hooligans, but still...ill take boos over violence any day....

desdemona

May 25, 2008

Well, I wasn't there, but I think so..... Honestly, Russia is more deserving as they have knocked us off of our feet several times, including last year. It was the States who took the gold from us (deservingly) in this tournament in 2010. A lot of the bandwagoner fans from the States got cocky and full of themselves - and I think that Canada is booing them more than the players, but since I'm not one of them, I really couldn't say for sure.

KesGold17

Dec 23, 2011
Vancouver
if Stone and Huberdeau get cold Canada is done

I am not impressed with D. Hamilton, Howden, Schwartz and Shiefele i thought they would be so much more effective.

i still think though our chances are good against sweden and russia... if we start wedge :)

I agree.

Canada should not have cut Toffoli.

desdemona

May 25, 2008
Jack Campbell shows more class than the fans in Canada show during this tournament. Why the US is targeted like this is one of the great mysteries to us below the 48th. Whether it is this or the baloney about a Canada-based NHL team winning the cup when most of the players on all the US-based teams are from Canada, I simply do not get it. What have we done to Canada?

He also showed an incredible amount of class and composure after the game:

There he was, all 6’2″ 185 lbs. World Junior Jack, as he is refered to by fellow journalists. World Junior Jack is one of the most decorated amateur hockey players of our generation, having won two gold medals at the U18 Hockey Championships, a gold at the 2009-10 World Juniors in Saskatoon, as well as a bronze at last year’s tournament in Buffalo. In addition to his gold medal at the 2009-10 U 18s he was also named the MVP and Best Goaltender of the tournament. That streak is over with the United States officially playing for the right to remain at the main tournament. They are in the same company as Latvia, Denmark and Switzerland. One of those four teams will not return next year when the tournament is in Russia, with Germany taking their place.

The New Years Eve game ended with a Canadian victory. The final horn sounded, 16 000 fans revelled in a national victory and Rexall Place was as loud as it has ever been. Campbell skated to the bench, and immediately several fellow teammates congregated around him. What they said we will never know, but that scene is symbolic. In a tournament where nothing has gone right for the Americans, Campbell’s role has transcended the traditional goal-saving that goalies are known for. His heroic efforts against both the Czech Republic and Canada, as well as his demeanor and attitude away from the ice, have made him a rallying point for an American team that desperately needs to play for something.

Often times we read quotes of athletes taking responsibility for the actions of their teams, usually after a key loss. We don’t know whether it is a genuine feeling or a product of media lessons from their agents or advisors. But when talking to Jack Campbell after the Canada game, it was quite obvious he meant every word he said.

“I want to take full responsibility for our standings. I expect to be the best every single time I step on the ice and the first two games I simply wasn’t,†he said.

“Starting Jack Campbell tonight was the humane thing to do,†said US Head Coach Dean Blais after the game.

Another thing that Campbell did was admit he was human. Much of the time what we read in the papers are quotes players have given thousands of times and clips that have zero meaning. When asked about playing in front of a raucous crowd, Campbell didn’t hold back.

“These fans are unbelievable, and it really does have an effect on the hockey game. It’s very hard to play in front of that many people,†Campbell admitted.

The Americans fought, and they battled, and they gave Canada its first true test of the tournament. Campbell held the team in the game early on, in spite of giving up 3 goals in the first period. Although the Americans will not be fighting for a medal, what they do have is a rallying point; something Canada may not have at this tournament. Each and every American player will benefit in the long run from this tournament and the adversity it brought. Campbell answered his final question, and the reporters thanked him. He then looked at all of us, considered rats and leeches by many, and said, “No, thank you guys.†The American dream may be over at the 2012 WJHC, but its spirit continues. Jack Campbell embodies it.

The more you learn about this guy, the more you have to like him.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

If anything, American fans should see what happened in the 2012 tournament as a positive...

1) Canadian fans boo Team USA because they respect them as a hockey nation and want to do every they can to see them lose. Whether booing helped the Americans lose... I can't answer that but you can't fault the fans for trying.

2) The Americans were upset when other countries celebrated in ways the Americans felt were over the top.

Welcome to Canada's world!!! We have been going thru that for decades.

When you become one of the better hockey nations teams shoot for you. Teams circle your game on the calendar. They want to beat you... BAD!!! Far worse than you want to beat them. And when they do teams will celebrate. Take it as a compliment.

The Czech goalie would not have acted the way he did if he beat Latvia.

The next step in becoming a premier hockey nation is winning against teams that see beating you as highlight of their tournament.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005

Because no one down here really gives Canada a thought. Think anyone in the U.S. cares what Canada does in soccer, baseball, basketball, football, etc. ? Think anyone down here cares that some offensive lineman at Nebraska or point guard in the NBA is from Ontario? No one. Canada caring this much about everything below their border and who is Canadian and who is not, is so telling.
During national NFL broadcasts Chris Collinsworth nor Al Michaels ramble on about the nationalities of the NFL players. Same can't be said about HNIC.
Canada, Seriously, no one cares

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

One of the reasons the U.S. did as poorly as they did this year was because teams were shooting for them in ways that they have seldom done in the past - that comes from winning in 2010.

If you continue to do well, that will get worse, not better.

desdemona

May 25, 2008
Because no one down here really gives Canada a thought. Think anyone in the U.S. cares what Canada does in soccer, baseball, basketball, football, etc. ? Think anyone down here cares that some offensive lineman at Nebraska or point guard in the NBA is from Ontario? No one. Canada caring this much about everything below their border and who is Canadian and who is not, is so telling.
During national NFL broadcasts Chris Collinsworth nor Al Michaels ramble on about the nationalities of the NFL players. Same can't be said about HNIC.
Canada, Seriously, no one cares

Regarding the HNIC remark, that's untrue.

I don't think that anyone expects Canadians to be cheered or booed during an NBA game, but on an international stage. And to say that they're not is also untrue. I guess you didn't watch the WJC last year in Buffalo... although enough Canadians came down to muffle those boos in the US stands, but they were definitely there. How about Grand Forks in 2005? Yup, we were booed. Loudly.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
One of the reasons the U.S. did as poorly as they did this year was because teams were shooting for them in ways that they never have in the past - that comes from winning in 2010.

Uh, no. One of the reasons that the US did poorly was because the defense was God-****ing-awful and there are no playmakers. It was a terribly put together team. Hindsight is 20/20, though.

desdemona

May 25, 2008
One of the reasons the U.S. did as poorly as they did this year was because teams were shooting for them in ways that they never have in the past - that comes from winning in 2010.

I think that your team has a lot of individuals who are very skilled in several different areas, but they didnt' seem to gel as a team. They didn't work together. No offense, but your team looked terrible. Don't worry, this will be a learning curve and they'll come back strong for the next 5-10 years or so.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Because no one down here really gives Canada a thought. Think anyone in the U.S. cares what Canada does in soccer, baseball, basketball, football, etc. ? Canada caring this much about everything below their border and who is Canadian and who is not, is so telling.

Really? I have heard for years, on American TV, about :

i) Steve Nash winning the NBA MVP 2 years running;
ii) Larry Walker winning the AL MVP in 1997;
iii) Justin Morneau winning the AL in 2006;
iv) Joey Votto winning the NL MVP in 2010;
v) Eric Gagne winning the Cy Young in 2003, etc...

and how they are Canadian. I am surprised you did not. It is so telling.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Uh, no. One of the reasons that the US did poorly was because the defense was God-****ing-awful and there are no playmakers. It was a terribly put together team. Hindsight is 20/20, though.

I have to disagree. In 2004, the U.S. won the WJR's and then went thru the exact same thing. For the next 5 years they only won 1 Bronze.

Then the U.S. won in 2010. The next year Bronze. This year... 7th?

Winning puts a target on your back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad