2004 World Junior Championships in Hameenlinna:

Slovakia 2 Russia 2

Goals:
Ovechkin (Shkotov, Pesuntov)
Ruzicka (Bulik, Spirko)
Shkotov (Ovechkin, Korneev)
Sagat (Balaz)

Goaltenders: Barulin (RUS), Halak (SVK)

Fulcrum, well thet depends, but AFAIK this was a really good class for Slovakia back then- the 1985s, I think it was them who won a medal at the U18s.

But I´ve actually looked at the historic results of the WJC since Slovakia started playing there in 1996 and we mostly placed as low as we do nowadays, finishing in the top 6 was usually connected with a top goalie performance (LašÃ¡k, Halák, Janus) and other circumstances (Sweden/Finland sucking enough to play in the RR)

1996: 7th- okay that was probably the best Slovak U20 team on paper, but they kinda struggled with finding themselves in the elite for teh first time- I think the team had for example Ľubo Višňovský, Marián Hossa, Richard Zedník, Vladimír Országh and Michal Handzuš on it
1997: 6th (Sweden actually finished 8th in that tourney, Slovakia finished 1 point ahead of them in the preliminary round)
1998: 9th (finished last in preliminary round, but easily blown out Germany in the two relegation round games, the Swiss actually won a bronze medal that year)
1999: 3rd (Ján LašÃ¡k magic and co., Marián Gáborík became the only star from this team though and the only other one to have an NHL impac was Ladislav Nagy and we all now how that ended)
2000: 9th (beat Ukraine in the two games to avoid relegation, but actually needed a shootout to win that one)
2001: 8th (still reached the QF though as 8 teams used to make it back then)
2002: 8th (despite finishing 1st in the preliminary round, they lost in the QF against Switzerland and then continued on to lose all the placement games, btu a goalie- this time Budaj was a big reason why they finished first in the preliminary round, also there was Svatoš, who got selected into the All Stars team)
2003: 5th place (another year that had the Swedes playing in the RR, though they weren´t in our preliminary group, I don´t remember this, but it seems that Peter Ševela was 2nd best goalie in save % , so that was probably part of us finishing 5th, there were some current NT D-men on that team, but most of the forwards aren´t even average Extraliga players today)
2004: 6th (Halák and a pretty solid 1984/85 classes)
2005: 7th (in a tough group with CAN, FIN and SWE, there was a three way tie of 4 points betwen FIN, SWE and SVk and SVK was the odd man out, but a bunch of these guys are actually NT players today, though we were expecting more from a number of them)
2006: 8th (but tied with 7th place SUI in points as mutual game was a tie)
2007: 8th (Switzerland saved our ***** there)
2008: 7th (had some not so bad looking reuslts in preliminary round 0-2 only to Canada and especially with Sweden, the game finished 3-4, the goalie once again a part of that Hudáček, Switzerland actually got relegated here)
2009: 4th (ok,everoyne knows this story, Janus and Tatar run, but also the fact that the Finns brought a medicore team helped us to get into top 6 to start with)
2010/2011: 8th both years lost the decisibe game to Swiss in preliminary group and the fight for the 7th place with the Czechs

Ok, you might wonder why I wrote all this, but I just wanted to show that while we might have had better teams (and I believe worse ones as well) we´ve never had much gerat results in the WJC, so I really don´t understand why so many people seem to assume that we actually used to be regulars in the top 6 in this tourney once.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Well, I'll be missing a sizeable chunk of the game tonight, as I'll be at the Olympiques game, but I still think we'll win!

3-2 Slovakia! :yo

Sadly, we're missing JánošÃ­k (and Hyka), but Val-d'Or is missing Sergeev, so...

JánošÃ­k beating Sergeev tonight will help stave off homesickness, I think. :p

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I have a feeling there will be any russian stream.. so you dont have to use fasthockey (or another posters). but you have to wake up at 4am ;)

I had trouble watching the RUS-SUI game on FastHockey, so I watched it on NHL.com. Very high quality. They used the TSN feed.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Going to the game tonight... just wondering if I'd look like a total knob wearing my team Canada jersey?

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Going to the game tonight... just wondering if I'd look like a total knob wearing my team Canada jersey?

Yes, but you won't be the only one wearing a Canada jersey... or waving a Canadian flag...or chanting Go Canada Go... during a Russia Slovakia game.

Vladiator16*

Don't care what the score will be, don't care how we win... as long as we win without losing anybody to injuries this early.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
I want to see the Yakupov and Grigorenko everyone talks about, didn't see it in Switzerland game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad