Got A Question about the team? Fantasy? History? Trade Proposal? ASK HERE!

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Scott Stevens

Just curious what you Devil fans think about Scott Stevens.

Is Stevens considered one of the best Devils player ever?

How would you guys describe his playing style?

20stevens.jpg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The franchise was immediately transformed when Stevens arrived in 1991.

He was a top 5 scorer each of his first 5 years in new Jersey and led the team in scoring during the 93-94 season which of course ended in a bitter game 7 Prince of Wales Conference defeat.

What Scott Stevens did for NJ in first 5 years was immeasurable. He and Lemaire brought legitimacy to an organization that didn't have much.

People often talk about intangibles, more often than not it is utter nonsense. But if you could've seen how his presence changed his teammates it was pretty incredible. His teammates played with more confidence when he arrived and his opponents played with much less. And that transformed NJ and brought legitimacy that lasted for a generation. Many don't remember those early Devils before Scott arrived. The lovable losers, the Bad News Bears of hockey, Before Stevens the Devils had one magic moment in 1988 that was often viewed as Cinderella, a fluke...a nice underdog story. Stevens changed all that the first day he stepped on the ice. There were no more Cinderella stories the legitimacy was apparent.

Of course there were many important things happening then... Lou was defining the franchise, Lemaire was defining an identity that still last today and Brodeur would eventually come in and rewrite the record books. But Stevens was the catalyst for everything on the ice.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
As for his playing style it went through many changes throughout his career. It went through many changes in NJ.

The 1980's he was an untamned wildman. Full of skill and anger completely undisciplined. It was fun to watch Washington come into the Byrne.

The trade to St.Louis changed Stevens. Probably more maturity than anything else but the discipline began showing it probably began in Washington. NJ was lucky, we got the product that had been to finishing school.

Throughout the 1980's and into the 90's he was an offensive defenseman. He regularly led the rush.

Not until 1995 did Stevens start to play a more Stay at home roll at the request of Lemaire. And interestingly enough, after Lemaire left, Stevens goal totals shot up in the next two seasons with 8 and 9 at 36 and 37 years old.

He really could play it anyway you wanted to or was asked to.

To me Scott Stevens was the best all around defender I've ever seen because he really could do it all and in any way.

Last edited:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
The story I've always felt summed Stevens up was from the game Madden/McKay scored 4 apiece in that 9-0 win over the Pens in 2000. Near the end of the game some guys on the Devils weren't going as hard as they could, taking lollygag type shifts, so Stevens laid into the team on the bench about being the defending cup champs, showing that they were going to defend it which stems from playing start to finish, and there being no excuse for half-assing just because they are up 9 goals.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The disappointing part is his overall game has been lost in the history, largely overshadowed by his devastating open ice hits and his defensive role later in his career.

What people don't remember was that he was a fantastic skater who could go up and down the ice with anyone. Even late in his career he was still a good skater, there is no other way to have delivered those open icehits He had a very hard point shot and if you look at a lot of his goals he powered them past goalies, he was an excellent passer and had very good hands...that was all wrapped up in one vicious do anything to win hockey player.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Everyone remembers the Niedermayer 1995 goal vs Detroit and well they should it was in the finals, but few people remember Scott Stevens goal in game 2 of the second round against Pittsburgh. It was equally important.

Scroll to the 3:00 minute mark to watch the setup.

Pittsburgh tied the game 2-2 with a minute left in regulation...what the video doesn't tell you, is 29 seconds later Scott Stevens takes the puck from his own zone and scores to make it 3-2. The Devils would add an empty netter to make it 4-2 and even the series at 1 game a piece heading back to NJ.

EDIT:
And hey Devils fans......Before "Henrique it's over" It was "Broten its Over" Scroll to the 5:40 mark and listen to Doc's call of Broten's games winning goal against Pittsburgh. Pretty cool!

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Boucher going to make the team opening night?

Yeah. He looks like he's going to start the season on the 3rd line LW, unless he gets injured or traded. They've experimented with him on 2nd line also, it didn't seem to stick.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Yeah. He looks like he's going to start the season on the 3rd line LW, unless he gets injured or traded. They've experimented with him on 2nd line also, it didn't seem to stick.

What seems to be the issue why he can't stick? I remember he had pretty good nose for the net before. Is it a maturity/strength issue? Or are there larger holes in his game still?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What seems to be the issue why he can't stick? I remember he had pretty good nose for the net before. Is it a maturity/strength issue? Or are there larger holes in his game still?

Mainly a lack of speed and agility. Often times, I personally find it causes him to be behind the play a bit.

Other than that, he's a very niche player who needs a specific role to succeed, reminds me a lot of Ryder in that regard. He just doesn't fit well alongside Zajac - Palmieri at 5-on-5 as well and since he's not pushing Hall out of 1LW, the only spot left is 3LW.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

I also think he had some problems defensively, and you know that doesn't go down well in NJ.

He's learned to be better without the puck, and has gained some confidence of the coaches. He also seemed to be lacking confidence in himself. He went back down to the AHL last year, picked up his game, and came back was better mentally.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I won't pretend to know anything about Yohann Auvitu, so maybe you guys can tell me - how has he looked in pre-season and is he your top d-man or is he behind Severson?

Who QB's the PP?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I won't pretend to know anything about Yohann Auvitu, so maybe you guys can tell me - how has he looked in pre-season and is he your top d-man or is he behind Severson?

Who QB's the PP?

Andy Greene is the Devils #1 DMan.

Auvitu has looked very good this preseason. Moving the puck and contributing offensively. I would imagine that he will play on one of the PP units, at least to start.

Just wondering where PA is going to be slotted in the lineup.

I wouldn't be surprised if they threw him right on the top line with Hall and Henrique. No one has really stood out there in the preseason.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Where to get full Interview/Postgame Press Conference

Anyone know where to find the full post game player interviews and John Hynes press conference? I checked the MSG site, Devils site and the Devils YouTube but it only gives short clips.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Devils YT used to have the coach pressers after the home games. I don't think they have it as much after the road games.

Stevie28

Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Severson on the PP?

Just looking for some info on Sevs, I picked him up on fantasy while he was getting points but now I'm being told he's not playing on the powerplay anymore, could anybody confirm this?

I tried scanning some GDT's for the info but couldn't find anything, sorry if I missed it somewhere!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad