Got A Question about the team? Fantasy? History? Trade Proposal? ASK HERE!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just looking for some info on Sevs, I picked him up on fantasy while he was getting points but now I'm being told he's not playing on the powerplay anymore, could anybody confirm this?

I tried scanning some GDT's for the info but couldn't find anything, sorry if I missed it somewhere!

He's been playing on the PP, but as others have said we're in a bad 0 for 26 stretch right now which might not necessarily get better until we get healthy up front. Devils haven't drawn a ton of penalties of late either. Severson's PP time in the last four games:

1:35 vs Dallas
2:58 vs Anaheim
2:33 vs LA
1:42 vs San Jose

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Hey guys, was offered a Matthews and Severson for Stepan and Shattenkirk deal in fantasy. Was just wanting so feedback on Seversons slump before I make the deal. Has he been playing poor or demoted?

debplaceyonice

May 14, 2015
Hey guys, was offered a Matthews and Severson for Stepan and Shattenkirk deal in fantasy. Was just wanting so feedback on Seversons slump before I make the deal. Has he been playing poor or demoted?

If you're getting Matthews and Severson do not make that trade.

Stepan and Shattenkirk are on better teams and are more consistent players.
Severson is doing ok, getting lots of time and on the first shift of the PP, but its not translating into fantasy points. He'll probably do a little better once Hall gets back on the PP but I wouldn't bank on that.

I've already dropped Sevs from my team.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

He was on an unsustainable point streak. He'll likely end with 30-40 points. He hasn't been bad, he's just not gonna produce near the rate he was at a few weeks ago.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
If you're getting Matthews and Severson do not make that trade.

Stepan and Shattenkirk are on better teams and are more consistent players.
Severson is doing ok, getting lots of time and on the first shift of the PP, but its not translating into fantasy points. He'll probably do a little better once Hall gets back on the PP but I wouldn't bank on that.

I've already dropped Sevs from my team.

Its a deep league that only values points and PP points. Matthews is a 2.4 avg, Shattenkirk is 1.9, Stepan and Severson are both 1.6.

My teams biggest strength is defense as I have (OEL, Subban, Shattenkirk, Weresnki, DeAngelo, and Stralman in a league where only 5 can be active so I need to trade one), while my biggest weakness is core forwards. I only have 4 forwards good enough to be on my active roster each game they play. After that I have about 10 similar Fs competing for the next 5 spots, and it is difficult to decide on who to bench. Matthews would slide into my core making it a little less difficult, while playing DeAngelo, Stralman, and Severson a few times more would not hurt my team on defense too badly.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Its a deep league that only values points and PP points. Matthews is a 2.4 avg, Shattenkirk is 1.9, Stepan and Severson are both 1.6.

My teams biggest strength is defense as I have (OEL, Subban, Shattenkirk, Weresnki, DeAngelo, and Stralman), while my biggest weakness is core forwards. I only have 4 forwards good enough to be on my active roster each game they play. After that I have about 10 similar Fs competing for the next 5 spots, and it is difficult to decide on who to bench. Matthews would slide into my core making it a little less difficult, while playing DeAngelo, Stralman, and Severson a few times more would not hurt my team on defense too badly.

Keeper league? If so getting Matthews means you do it.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Keeper league? If so getting Matthews means you do it.

No.
h2h weekly
28 F GP
16 D GP
3 UTIL GP
6 G GP

G (3) A (2) PPP (1) GWG (1)

9 F Spots per night
Core F: Pavelski, Giroux, Marner, Benn
Extra Fs (all basically identical for 2017 numbers): Thornton, Barkov, Spezza, Nash, Stepan, Rakell, Granlund, Sharp, Steen, Hoffman

I believe Matthews would enter the core F section making it less difficult to choose who to bench. Last week I had a season high (by far league wide) 50 bench points because I got unlucky choosing who to play which nights between all those extra Fs.

5 D spots per night
Core D: OEL, Subban, Shattenkirk, Werenski
Extra D: DeAngelo and Stralman

1 UTI per night

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Don't want to sidetrack the discussion thread, but I did not even realize that Peter Harrold only play 11 regular season games with the Devils in 2011-12. It felt like he was on the team the entire year.

That run was a true underdog story. We had a washed up Sykora, claimed Carter off waivers, picked up Ponikarovski for mid-round pick(s), signed an out-of-the-league Bernier who didn't join the team until mid-January, and Gionta didn't play an NHL game until the last game of the year. Henrique was recalled out of necessity with Zajac out for all but 13 and played as our top six center. Tedenby played 43 games. Eric Boulton played 51 games for us that year and Janssen played 48. :amazed::amazed:

That's not even considering we dumped Fraser/Pelley for Foster, then dumped Foster and other useless players for Zidlicky who wasn't even wanted by Minnesota at the time. Salvador channeled his inner puck moving defenseman that no able-minded hockey fan thought he had.

Now looking back on it, it would have been an absolute joke if we won the cup with that team. With how the league trends always depend on the cup-winner that year (i.e. emphasis on speed now after Penguins won and emphasis on grit/size after Kings won) what would the league take from the Devils. Maybe a "**** it" attitude will figure it out along the way. :laugh:

Storm

Sep 27, 2006
Latvia
Scott Wedgewood - future in NJ?

Taking into account Wedge's serious surgery, what is his future in Devils organisation in your opinion, Devils' fans? Will they keep Kinkaid for one more season as Schneider's backup? Any other options?

I thought, Devils waived Wedge this summer in order to give him opportunity to start as many starts in Albany as possible to gain confidence and experience for the next season to serve backup role...

And what is Wedge's status on the expansion draft next summer? Las-Vegas may be an option to reset his carrier!

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I like Wedge but I think his future is dependent on what they do with Kinkaid. Kinkaid has done a decent enough job as the backup, but being older, may see if he can try his luck at a gig with a better chance of getting more starts, who knows?

If Kinkaid stays, then Wedge is going to be let go as I'm sure they would like to get Blackwood more starts in Albany and they can keep Appelby there also.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Taking into account Wedge's serious surgery, what is his future in Devils organisation in your opinion, Devils' fans? Will they keep Kinkaid for one more season as Schneider's backup? Any other options?

I thought, Devils waived Wedge this summer in order to give him opportunity to start as many starts in Albany as possible to gain confidence and experience for the next season to serve backup role...

And what is Wedge's status on the expansion draft next summer? Las-Vegas may be an option to reset his carrier!

It's hard to tell. Priority would seemingly be given to Kinkaid who probably won't be getting too many huge offers on the open market. But the team could just as easily go for a different backup. Appleby/Blackwood are manning the nets in Albany now and 2016 draft pick Evan Cormier can turn pro next season as well.

I would think Vegas will have better goaltending options at the Expansion Draft, but perhaps they would take a flyer on Wedgewood for minor league depth if the Devils don't extend a qualifying offer. Vegas did hire our former head scout David Conte who drafted Wedgewood.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Fell into an internet rabbit hole reading up on Jari Kurri and saw that he was once in a trade which included former Devils' pick Corey Foster. Then I read up that the Devils traded Foster only a year after drafting him 12th overall. Devils ended up trading him for the #18 pick in 1989 and used the pick on Jason Miller.

This was from before I was a hockey fan, so does anybody remember the motivation behind the trade? Since Foster and Miller didn't pan out, I can't find too much info on them.

I do recall reading a story about the 1988 Draft where David Conte said the table was pretty confident that one of Jeremy Roenick, Rod Brind'Amour, or Teemu Selanne were going to be available at #12. But those three went 8-9-10.

Found this small nugget from a Chicago paper: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-06-13/sports/8801070295_1_hawks-gms-penalties

The Hawks` No. 1 draft pick, Jeremy Roenick, was the third option in the team`s game plan.

Their first was to use the eighth pick overall Saturday to select left wing Martin Gelinas, had Los Angeles passed him up with the seventh pick.

The Hawks would have raced to the microphone to select Gelinas, rated as a top-five pick.

Keep an eye on defenseman Corey Foster, who went to the New Jersey Devils in the first round.

The Hawks chose Roenick over Foster in a close call simply because they have a greater need for centers than defensemen this year.

Kokudo%20Bunnies%202001-02%20F%20jersey.jpg

Then I saw that Foster played a few years in Japan for the Kukudo Bunnies, which is a jersey I recall seeing a few years back.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
There was a little discussion in a thread a week or two ago regarding the Devils/Yankees connections and how Steinbrenner was willing to help prevent the Devils from moving out of NJ. Happened to find a little bit more and a pretty neat rendering of what would have been the Yankees stadium when Steinbrenner was looking to move the Yankees to the meadowlands in the 80s and early 90s. You can see CAA, the racetrack, and Giants Stadium in the background. The area where the Yankees stadium would have been built is still undeveloped marsh next to the turnpike near where Redds currently is.

NJ.jpg

Jon F. Hanson — who was chairman of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority from 1982 to 1990 and was a longtime friend of Steinbrenner’s — said that former Devils owner John McMullen, also a minority investor in the Yankees at that time, came to him in 1986 and asked whether the sports authority would be interested in having major league baseball in the Meadowlands.

“I had developed a close relationship with George [Steinbrenner] in the early 1980s, and he hated that the idea of a new stadium was not getting far in New York,” said Hanson, a board member for the Yankees’ YES Network. “The Yankees were prepared to make a deal” to move to the Meadowlands.

http://archive.northjersey.com/story-archives/source-george-steinbrenner-almost-moved-yankees-to-lyndhurst-in-80s-1.1244613

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
I'm hoping you Devil fans can help me out here. Who did ?Scott Stevens pair with during his time in New Jersey? Did he have a regular D partner? Was it Ken Danyko/Scott Neidermayer?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I'm hoping you Devil fans can help me out here. Who did ?Scott Stevens pair with during his time in New Jersey? Did he have a regular D partner? Was it Ken Danyko/Scott Neidermayer?

As far as the early 2000s go, Stevens was typically paired with Rafalski and at times with Niedermayer from what I remember.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Random tidbit I came across while looking up info on Mike Futa: https://books.google.com/books?id=Y...ChDoAQgyMAQ#v=onepage&q=futa scouting&f=false

Wayne Simmonds said:
Mike Futa, the GM at Owen Sound (OHL), came to my house and said he was going to draft me. I said, 'Don't even bother.' I didn't play AAA until I was 16, so I was a year behind, thought I needed college hockey to catch me up. Mom liked the idea of me going to school anyway. I had a scholarship at Bowling Green State University, but Futa drafted me anyway and convinced me to come to Owen Sound.

We had an unbelievable team and I had a pretty good rookie year (23 goals) as an 18 year old. A week after it ends, Futa got named head of amateur scouting for L.A. I'm like, 'He's leaving? He's the only reason I came here.'

Mike told me he'd take care of me, whatever that meant. Maybe I'd get like a free agent tryout or something like that? I was invited to the (NHL Scouting) Combine. Had two interviews with Atlanta, did a test for New Jersey. So I thought I was going to get drafted by the Thrashers or Devils in a late round.

A little after 7 in the morning, I was driving on the 405 with Chris [Stewart], on the way to working out, when the phone rang. It was my agent telling me, 'You just got drafted.' I'm like, 'What do you mean? It's only the second round right now.' He said, 'Yeah.'

Me! Wayne Simmonds, 61st pick to the Los Angeles Kings. I kept driving three exits past where we were supposed to get off, Stewie laughing at me all the way.

Maybe for certain folk who are still mad at the team for not drafting Simmonds. Looks like the Devils were one of a few teams who were interested but maybe thought they could get him later. Even Simmonds was shocked that he was drafted as high as he was.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
On this day 35 years ago, the New Jersey hockey franchise was officially christened as the “Devils!"
#OneJersey

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
What are your thoughts on Zacha making the step up this year?

I thought he had 1st line potential, but was stuck playing mainly depth roles last year. Do you forsee him being a solid fantasy contributor?

Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad