Got A Question about the team? Fantasy? History? Trade Proposal? ASK HERE!

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Slava Fetisov was the first Russian to play in the NHL, that's a HUGE deal. Not to mention he was legally allowed to come here.

Right around the same time Alexi Kasatonov defected here against the Communist regime. Salva supposedly never talked to him for betraying his country - nor did he talk to any defected Russian - including Mogliny while Slava was coaching him!

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
And he just wouldn't talk to him? Weird.

How was Fetisov as a player here? Was he as good as he was for the Red Army Team?

He wouldn't talk to anyone that was defected from the Soviet Union, as I understand it. He saw them as national traitors and the like. He's now a very high ranking official in Russia, so you have to wonder if he was more afraid of what might happen to him if the Soviets ever decided it was a problem or if it was simply national pride? Crazy situations can make for some crazy people... But enough of this.

He was past his prime of course, but he was a solid player. I've heard people that have him seen him skate recently and they say he's still got the legs. He's just such a fantastic skater...

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Still out with injury. He is skating again on his own, and the Devils expect to have him back in practice by the end of the week.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Injury to Larsonn probably ends up as a good thing.

Good little break in the midst of his first long NHL season.

I think the kid is a big time talent.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Travis Zajac Backround?

I know he was born in Canada but does he have a Polish backround? Zajac I do believe is a Polish last name, any Polish New Jersey Devils fans that can answer this?

Tedenboozled

Mar 4, 2011
Why did DeBoer quit playing?

Has anyone even asked DeBoer why he suddenly retired at age 23?

You don't just put up PPG+ as a 20-year old in the OHL and go "**** it, I've had a fulfilling career, time to hang 'em up".

I doubt he wouldn't be able to compete in the AHL or even the NHL in some capacity, so wtf happened?

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Also, in 1988, the top end players were making between 500k and 1M. That's not bad money, but if you think you're a tweener, you might opt for a law degree factoring in 100K*30 = $3M career earnings vs. maybe $1M career earnings in the NHL at that time for a 4-5 year career. And then what do you do?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Also, in 1988, the top end players were making between 500k and 1M. That's not bad money, but if you think you're a tweener, you might opt for a law degree factoring in 100K*30 = $3M career earnings vs. maybe $1M career earnings in the NHL at that time for a 4-5 year career. And then what do you do?

How much do coaches make? I'm sure DeBoer is doing pretty well for himself now.

thecoffeecake

Mar 19, 2012
Toms River, NJ
Fetisov will be more remembered as an opponent, both on the 1980 Soviet Olympic team, and as a member of the 95 Red Wings. We actually traded him to Detroit during that season, and he fell over (he was a defenseman), allowing Neal Broten to score the game winning goal in game 4 of the cup. Ironically enough, Broten played on the US olympic team in 1980. If you look at the Devils' early years, those Olympics seemed to be a theme, from Jack O'Callahan, Broten and Fetisov (Mike Ramsey was playing with Detroit as well), Mark Johnson, Herb Brooks, Steve Janaszak played for the Rockies, and Tapio Levo. Levo was one of the top Finnish players on their 1980 Olympic team who took 4th, and played his only full season in the NHL with the original Devils of 82.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad