Speculation: GM Lou Lamoriello to take lesser role with team?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
if Fenton is taking interviews, i really hope we're looking into him. I know a lot of people here are Ooh Dubas, but I just feel Fenton would be so amazing wherever he'd end up, so it would be nice to even interview him.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
There are a lot of ways Cujo never becomes a Leaf and Potvin stays.

Heck, the way CuJo became a Leaf is pretty wild. Most expected him to end up a Philadelphia Flyer, Ken Dryden went to the ice cream shop to get ice cream since it was a hot day. Don Meehan, Cujo's agent was also there and they got to talking. Meehan pitched Dryden on signing Joseph then and there, despite the Leafs making it known they didn't want to add payroll and sign any big free agents.

One thing led to another, and the Leafs signed Curtis Joseph and Steve Stavro began investing in the team again.

What flavor of ice cream?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
if Fenton is taking interviews, i really hope we're looking into him. I know a lot of people here are Ooh Dubas, but I just feel Fenton would be so amazing wherever he'd end up, so it would be nice to even interview him.

When someone has been in the same position for so long, it raises red flags. Plenty of teams have interviewed him or even tried to sign him but he either chose to stay in Nashville or wasn't signed. Either way, it's not a good look.

It reminds me of Jim Nill in Detroit. So many teams tried to poach him. When he finally decided to move on after so many years with the Red Wings, he hasn't exactly been all that good in Dallas.

Every situation is different though... who knows.

Reactions: stickty111

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Whatever happens, I hope we go through an exhaustive interview process to find the next GM. We can't afford to screw the hire up, so we have to examine a wealth of options. Dubas is young and has a lot to learn, and I'm not convinced that Hunter is a professional executive.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Whatever happens, I hope we go through an exhaustive interview process to find the next GM. We can't afford to screw the hire up, so we have to examine a wealth of options. Dubas is young and has a lot to learn, and I'm not convinced that Hunter is a professional executive.

ultimately that's what i want.
what do you mean by your last statement?

When someone has been in the same position for so long, it raises red flags. Plenty of teams have interviewed him or even tried to sign him but he either chose to stay in Nashville or wasn't signed. Either way, it's not a good look.

It reminds me of Jim Nill in Detroit. So many teams tried to poach him. When he finally decided to move on after so many years with the Red Wings, he hasn't exactly been all that good in Dallas.

this is true. but you could also argue that maybe the situation wasn't the very best for him/his family. but i do hear what you are saying. I think ultimately again, what i want is the Leafs to go through an exhaustive process - and then they can hire dubas if he's the guy.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
this is true. but you could also argue that maybe the situation wasn't the very best for him/his family. but i do hear what you are saying. I think ultimately again, what i want is the Leafs to go through an exhaustive process - and then they can hire dubas if he's the guy.

I think the idea of going with an executive that has been here since the start of the whole process is a whole lot better than anything you can find from another team.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's funny that Dubas as Marlies GM is making so much more than the new GM of the Hurricanes will be.
He agreed to not interview with the Avs because they told him he was the next GM.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

What specifically about Fenton makes you so sure he'd be so amazing?

I'm sorry if you've already posted about that, I have missed it if you have.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I think Dubas should take over this year .We need fresh approach.

Perhaps. I was thinking about that the other day - what has Lou done really that stands out? I mean he hasn't been bad don't get me wrong; he was great with some contract negotiations, and agree with the article below:

The worst contract he negotiated was the Jonathan Bernier extension, and in the end that just cost Rogers and Bell some money to get out of.
Patrick Marleau is the highest paid player on the Leafs, and at least he plays hockey, unlike number two, who is Nathan Horton, aka the ghost of GMs past.
That's damning with faint praise.
But the Leafs, overflowing with players, about to be at 50 SPCs and needing to make trades (not an ideal state for getting good deals), are still an unformed thing. They have 12 skaters signed for the 2018-2019 season. They have a host of pending UFAs and RFAs and $30 million in cap space, and the only one of those players who must get a contract is William Nylander.

The Leafs can take any direction after this year, become any type of team, add any sort of player, re-sign their UFAs or turn them into someone else entirely. They can trade some of those 12, sign their minor-league RFAs or wave goodbye. They can look for free agents or promote their own prospects.

They've got a 1C and a 2C. They've got two hot wingers and a pair of defenders locked up to term. They've got a starting goalie.
As a build your own NHL team starter kit, that's not bad.

Get back to me when he's done something beyond shore up the foundation. Because so far, the Leafs are that starter kit fleshed out with temps or cheap players like Hyman. And since I argued back in June that, given the general situation in the league, the smart play was to just sit and wait, I can hardly complain that they've done that.
The foundation looks good to me. It’s not quite how I would build it, and the temp staff manning the front counter are not what I want to see, but so far, so good. Next year, I might have a firmer opinion.
Two years of Lou Lamoriello: What’s the verdict?

Reactions: Menzinger

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It's funny that Dubas as Marlies GM is making so much more than the new GM of the Hurricanes will be.
He agreed to not interview with the Avs because they told him he was the next GM.

Fact or opinion ?

I think Dubas should take over this year .We need fresh approach.

Yea, this going from last overall to 100 points in 2 seasons clearly isn't working. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
They did a good job locking up key guys at really good rates . Lou brought respect and stability to organization. But to me it's the hockey decisions going forward have to come from a different philosophy. No more 10 mil to Martin type of thinking .

Perhaps. I was thinking about that the other day - what has Lou done really that stands out? I mean he hasn't been bad don't get me wrong; he was great with some contract negotiations, and agree with the article below:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
What specifically about Fenton makes you so sure he'd be so amazing?

I'm sorry if you've already posted about that, I have missed it if you have.

just talking with a lot of people i know who like him and what he's done for the Preds. so nothing for me specfically but he just seems that he would be a very strong candidate and looking at the success of the drafting, development etc of Nashville, especially their defensive corps, that could be of benefit here. but then i've admitted, who knows exactly what AGMs do. because i always thought they flat out ran the minors etc, and someone told me the GM does that too.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
They did a good job locking up key guys at really good rates . Lou brought respect and stability to organization. But to me it's the hockey decisions going forward have to come from a different philosophy. No more 10 mil to Martin type of thinking .

Yeah some huge decisions to be made going forward - JVR, Bozak, Komarov, the D, a 3rd/4th line C for starters......

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Thats a fair observation.

I think Lou has been fine at the job - but mostly because he really hasn’t rocked the boat all that much. He’s had some bad moves (ie Martin’s contract), some positive one’s (getting rid of Dion with minimal long term cap issues). But I don’t think getting a new GM this offseason is going to be a problem for the team’s success.

Damage

Oct 11, 2016
London

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I think there's a story behind this waiting to be told.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
One was an NHL known person the other not so much.

Hence why Hunter is the far better choice and he is leaving if Dubas gets the job and Hunter has been fantastic
Don't forget though, we would still have Shanny and Babs to complete the triumvirate.

I can also see Lou taking the senior advisor of hockey operations role much the way Bowman did in Chicago.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Don't forget though, we would still have Shanny and Babs to complete the triumvirate.

I can also see Lou taking the senior advisor of hockey operations role much the way Bowman did in Chicago.
Hunter will be the next GM as he is the better choice. They named him assistant GM for a reason and it was not just for looks.

I would prefer A hockey guy over a non hockey guy. Hunter is within the NHL boys club and Dubas is not.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

If this applies to these AGM's why would it not apply to Dubas as well?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Mark Hunter should get the job & if not him, Please look outside the organization for someone who is qualified for the job. Futa, Ron Francis or even the guy out in Nashville would be my top picks

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Mark Hunter should get the job & if not him, Please look outside the organization for someone who is qualified for the job. Futa, Ron Francis or even the guy out in Nashville would be my top picks

Fenton you mean?
(Francis no)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad