Speculation: GM Lou Lamoriello to take lesser role with team?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Surprised there wasn't a thread on this...

On Headlines yesterday, it was said that Lamoriello may step away from the GM role for next season. Both Friedman and Johnston said that Lamoriello may not be on the last year of his contract but that this may be his last year as the GM to transition to an advisory role.

Would Maple Leafs GM Lou Lamoriello take lesser role with team? - Sportsnet.ca

Dubas is likely to take over. He's been with the organization since the Shanahan take over rebuild. He's been learning from Lamoriello for awhile now as well. He's done great work with the Marlies and seems to have a good eye for finding gems.

This seems to support the theory last season when the Avalanche tried to hire Dubas that the Leafs declined the job interview or whatever as they want Dubas to take over very soon, which may be as soon as next season.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Dubas seems like the logical next GM. Hopefully Mark Hunter remains with the team, I like him but he doesn't seem comfortable enough in front of the media to be a GM here.

Reactions: meefer

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
An advisory role seems to be the likeliest option if he's not going to continue on as GM as of next season. Think he's done mainly well in his (re-) signings and particularly/not surprisingly has set us up well in net.

We'll see what Dubas can do in the role, if in fact he is still going to be next in line. Though, I think he will be.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
After Yzerman gets his cup in the front office in Tampa this year, we should back up the Brinks truck, and flex our financial muscle.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
After Yzerman gets his cup in the front office in Tampa this year, we should back up the Brinks truck, and flex our financial muscle.

I don't think any amount of money will make him leave his team.

Tampa made a smart hire there. It was a little rocky at the beginning to be honest but he made some top notch acquisitions.

This is what the Leafs need. I think Dubas can be that guy.

It sure beats signing Ken Holland or John Ferguson Jr.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't think any amount of money will make him leave his team.

Tampa made a smart hire there. It was a little rocky at the beginning to be honest but he made some top notch acquisitions.

This is what the Leafs need. I think Dubas can be that guy.

It sure beats signing Ken Holland or John Ferguson Jr.

Don't see Yzerman leaving either unfortunately.

I particularly like the conditional 2nd that becomes a 1st as part of the McDonagh trade, if Tampa wins the Cup before McDonagh is scheduled to become a UFA. A 1st rounder in exchange for a Cup is a price that is well worth it if that comes to fruition.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Interesting. I agree that I'd like Lou involved in the signing of our Big 3, but if he can do that from an advisory role, I'd be happy to give Dubas a shot and see what he can do.

Should be good news for us as far as the Polaks of the world are concerned.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Decided to look at the trades and signings made under the Dubas/Hunter interim tenure. Overall, it’s pretty good. Some weren’t happy with the Kessel deal, but it got us Kapanen, and the pick that got us Andersen so it’s helping us now.

Leafs acquired Zach Hyman from FLA for Greg McKegg

Leafs acquired Martin Marincin and Brad Ross for a 4th Round pick

Leafs acquire Kasperi Kapanen, Nik Spaling, Scott Harrington, a 1st and 3rd for Phil Kessel, Tim Erixon, Tyler Biggs and a conditional 2nd

Leafs acquire Taylor Beck for Jamie Devane

Leafs signed Shawn Matthias, Daniel Winnik, Mark Arcobello, Matt Hunwick

Leafs re-sign Nazem Kadri to a 1 year deal.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Leafs need to start manufacturing picks and prospects out of UFA acquisitions like earlier in the rebuild. The own rentals of JVR, Bozak, and trades for Boyle and Bozak has probably subtracted a few good prospects who would have been in the system.

Reactions: bonjovi0308

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
To honest I don't know what Dubas brings. He's been the beneficiary of having minor roles with this organization. Part of me can't wait to see him be the GM so he can sink or swim.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Very pleased with this news.

The team and its young core needs a GM who can guide it through a long term strategy for sustained success for the next decade.

I do hope Lou cleans up his Matt Martin mistake before he goes though - in particular with no salary retention.

Ideally Lou sticks around for a while like Fletcher has. Dubas seems like my preferred choice for the next GM, and the likeliest option considering Shanahan stopped the Avs from talking to him and then quietly extended him soon after.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I wish he'd stick around until after the kids are signed.

I always thought Pridham was in charge of contract negotiations.

I'm sure I've heard it somewhere before because he's the one with the most knowledge of the cap and CBA.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Very pleased with this news.

The team and its young core needs a GM who can guide it through a long term strategy for sustained success for the next decade.

I do hope Lou cleans up his Matt Martin mistake before he goes though - in particular with no salary retention.

Ideally Lou sticks around for a while like Fletcher has. Dubas seems like my preferred choice for the next GM, and the likeliest option considering Shanahan stopped the Avs from talking to him and then quietly extended him soon after.
Some of the signings like Martin probably dont happen if Dubas was the GM. Also another great change it could bring is that Dubas might give some control back to Mark Hunter. This will help draft skill again instead of big slow fridges that was part Lou's philosophy.

Reactions: Menzinger

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Decided to look at the trades and signings made under the Dubas/Hunter interim tenure. Overall, it’s pretty good. Some weren’t happy with the Kessel deal, but it got us Kapanen, and the pick that got us Andersen so it’s helping us now.

Leafs acquire Kasperi Kapanen, Nik Spaling, Scott Harrington, a 1st and 3rd for Phil Kessel, Tim Erixon, Tyler Biggs and a conditional 2nd

I think a lot of people see three factors with Dubas:

1. He's young and hockey, especially at GM, is an old man's game.

2. It hasn't looked good with Chayka, though the situations don't match.

3. The retention on Kessel has some ready to run him out of town.

I have no issues at all with Dubas and would welcome him with open arms to be GM. I think he would be perfect to keep us competitive for years, so that in 2030 we can still slaugher a team in an outdoor game and Matthews will be going for Art Ross at 32.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I always thought Pridham was in charge of contract negotiations.

I'm sure I've heard it somewhere before because he's the one with the most knowledge of the cap and CBA.

He is - which is why I think it’s strange that folks think Lou will be the one doing that.

Shanahan has said its Pridham who sorts out the contract details. They hired him specifically for this sort of stuff

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think a lot of people see three factors with Dubas:

1. He's young and hockey, especially at GM, is an old man's game.

2. It hasn't looked good with Chayka, though the situations don't match.

3. The retention on Kessel has some ready to run him out of town.

I have no issues at all with Dubas and would welcome him with open arms to be GM. I think he would be perfect to keep us competitive for years, so that in 2030 we can still slaugher a team in an outdoor game and Matthews will be going for Art Ross at 32.

It’s funny when folks mention Chayka, one could also point to Yzerman as a rookie GM whose thrived.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
He is - which is why I think it’s strange that folks think Lou will be the one doing that.

Shanahan has said its Pridham who sorts out the contract details. They hired him specifically for this sort of stuff
I'm not sure if Pridham is the one negotiating it. I'm sure they all work together to try and get it done.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

"Over all , pretty good"

Overall it was the reason Shanny hired Ll..

Whoever the next GM is , he comes into a great situation and is set up for success .

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
"Over all , pretty good"

Whoever the next GM is , he comes into a great situation and is set up for success .

You think the only reason Shanahan hired Lamoriello was because of the 3 1/2 months Dubas and Hunter spent as interim GM's?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
"Over all , pretty good"

What? No. They said all along they wanted to get a veteran GM to gap the next GM.

Reactions: IBeL13f

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You think the only reason Shanahan hired Lamoriello was because of the 3 1/2 months Dubas and Hunter spent as interim GM's?
It was reported endlessly they were looking to hire a young GM to work in tandem with the people he had in place . After the Kessel deal he went with LL to run the team and school the inexperienced (at the NHL level) mgmt staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad