Speculation: GM Lou Lamoriello to take lesser role with team?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Assuming that happens wouldn't it be the same people he interviewed last time? So there was obviously reasons why they didn't get the job, although maybe they would have if Lou was not available.

according to Shanahan himself there were a lot of people unavailable at the time (like to even speak to) and Lou didn't commit right away so I'm not sure

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
according to Shanahan himself there were a lot of people unavailable at the time (like to even speak to) and Lou didn't commit right away so I'm not sure
Did he at least interview Mike Futa and Paul Fenton or did they decline to be considered, I honestly can not remember?

I only remember hearing Rob Blake's name and how he had no interest in the job and not sure why his name was even linked with it.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Did he at least interview Mike Futa and Paul Fenton or did they decline to be considered, I honestly can not remember?

I only remember hearing Rob Blake's name and how he had no interest in the job and not sure why his name was even linked with it.

the only name that got out for certain is that Shanahan asked for permission to talk to Gorton but NYR said no. Then Shanahan took it way underground.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I thought this was an interesting quote from Jim Nill produced by Elliot Friedman in his latest 31 thoughts, and especially holds true for the Leafs given the size of the organization.

I go back to something Dallas GM Jim Nill mentioned this season; how much this job is now managing up as opposed to making hockey moves. The best thing for the Hurricanes might not be the top available “hockey person,” but the best available “manager.” Someone who is willing to manage up, someone with a thick skin, a long fuse and a willingness to wade through something different.

So much of the current NHL GM job is managing a large scale organization over actually making the hockey moves. If you think you have the underlings to be successful, you put in the best manager in place to create an effective organization. You need someone who is a strong collaborator with an understanding of different viewpoints. People love the romantic notions of being a gm which is drafting, wheeling and dealing, etc, but forget about the day to day management of a large scale organization with probably 30 to 40 underlings under you all assigned a role you have to make sure they are doing effectively.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The funny thing is that's exactly how we ended up with Lou Lamoriello, however at least he's done a lot more than Brian Burke and Dave Nonis ever did.

He came in at the start of the process... So no, it's not really comparable.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
For those that want experience and someone likely from an interview process, let's look at the potential names that could replace Lamoriello.

Ken Holland --- Might not leave Detroit and Seattle franchise rumoured to be going after him.
Jim Nill --- In the hot seat in Dallas.
John Ferguson Jr. --- Round 2? Currently with the Bruins as Director of Player Personnel.
Paul Fenton --- No Head GM experience but Assistant GM for the Preds for a long time and GM of the AHL Admirals. He has declined many chances to move on.
Mike Futa --- No GM experience but his name is linked to every GM position ever available. I have no idea why so let's put his name here as well.

Any other name(s) that I missed?

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
For those that want experience and someone likely from an interview process, let's look at the potential names that could replace Lamoriello.

Ken Holland --- Might not leave Detroit and Seattle franchise rumoured to be going after him.
Jim Nill --- In the hot seat in Dallas.
John Ferguson Jr. --- Round 2? Currently with the Bruins as Director of Player Personnel.
Paul Fenton --- No Head GM experience but Assistant GM for the Preds for a long time and GM of the AHL Admirals. He has declined many chances to move on.
Mike Futa --- No GM experience but his name is linked to every GM position ever available. I have no idea why so let's put his name here as well.

Any other name(s) that I missed?

BriseBois + Verbeek, Tampa.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Chuck Fletcher not being renewed in Minny adds an interesting layer to this, given the connection.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Chuck Fletcher not being renewed in Minny adds an interesting layer to this, given the connection.
One Fletcher in the organization is already too many.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

that might make things very interesting.
Fenton is the front runner for Minny damnit.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Chuck Fletcher is out in Minnesota I wonder if he gets an interview given that his Dad is here.

Just handing the job to Dubas and not doing a real search is lazy

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
What's the best move Fletcher made? Nino or the Staal signing maybe? Is that enough to out-weigh the Suter/Parise contracts without making a real push with them in their primes?

He built and maintained a consistently mediocre team with a consistently mediocre prospect pool. I really don't get the appeal. If we were a small market team that needed 1st/2nd round playoff revenue to survive, maybe.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Chuck Fletcher is out in Minnesota I wonder if he gets an interview given that his Dad is here.

Promoting from within and keeping your plan/strategy inline with someone that has been here since the start is not being lazy at all and it's actually very irrelevant. He was the first person hired of the new regime.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Dubas (or even Hunter) would be a matter of promoting our assistant GM, so that doesn't seem like too big of a reach were it to happen at some point, IMO.

An interview for Chuck could be possible, though Cliff isn't really in a prominent position in the organization for that to be much of a factor in my view.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
While I’m still likely preferring the team goes with an internal candidate, would be interesting to see if the Leafs do interview Fletcher. Seems like he could be a good fit for a group-management dynamic that the Leafs have.

What's the best move Fletcher made? Nino or the Staal signing maybe? Is that enough to out-weigh the Suter/Parise contracts without making a real push with them in their primes?

He built and maintained a consistently mediocre team with a consistently mediocre prospect pool. I really don't get the appeal. If we were a small market team that needed 1st/2nd round playoff revenue to survive, maybe.

The Wilds prospect pool was never really mediocre (I believe for a while they even had one of the top ranked programs), they’ve managed to develop impact players at every position (ie wish we could develop D men the way they have in particular). Keep in mind too they never had the luxury of filling out their pool with top 5 picks at the top oft he draft.

The Suter/Praise signings in context aren’t as bad either (though not great considering Parise’s recent injury history) they’re each playing for a cap hit of under 8 million which is good for a bigger named UFA signing - they just had the bad luck of constantly running into a peak Toews/Kane led Blackhawks team during the playoffs for several seasons (and often suffering badly timed injuries).

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Did you just ask how just handing somebody the job and not doing your due diligence is lazy?

That should speak for itself
Not really if the GM was doing their job as a manager, and has done succession planning, and has mentored their subordinates to be ready for the job. Obviously time lines in sport make it more difficult, but if you manage, the people you higher as direct subordinates comes with the idea that they are the ones who ought to succeeded you. Hiring outside is more costly and time consuming. Besides, you see the people everyday. There is a danger of a too high degree of personal relationships, but good companies have ways to check that as well.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He gave his predictable “no comment” response to questions about his future...

I can’t help but wonder though if the fact that the Leafs has a first round exit will push Shanahan to keep him in another year or bring in the new guy to help set his vision for the team in place during an important offseason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad