Providence Bruins General Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I have always thought that in lopsided games, you can get some valuable information about players, despite the loss. You key on individuals and who continues to skate and make plays even when the team is down big.

Also, I don’t think scouts are going to recommend or denounce a trade based on one viewing...unless they are HF posters also :laugh:

Agreed on lopsided games being a potential character test.

This is NOT a great comp but when I was coaching AA in Ottawa, during tryouts and exhibition games we were trying to decide on the last spot up front. We were getting pounded by a team and one of the kids we liked but were still deciding on hit the ice to block a shot with a few minutes left in the game and my assistant coach and I looked at each other, said nothing but we knew what each other was thinking and that was this kid`s the one were keeping.

He went on that year to be one of the most reliable and hard working kids we had

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

This is NOT a great comp but when I was coaching AA in Ottawa, during tryouts and exhibition games we were trying to decide on the last spot up front. We were getting pounded by a team and one of the kids we liked but were still deciding on hit the ice to block a shot with a few minutes left in the game and my assistant coach and I looked at each other, said nothing but we knew what each other was thinking and that was this kid`s the one were keeping.

He went on that year to be one of the most reliable and hard working kids we had

No, that’s exactly the kind of thing I’m talking about. You can learn a lot about a player’s character and work ethic in a bad loss.

I’m sure those sorts of things are just as important (maybe more) than points when a scout is looking at a guy.

Reactions: ODAAT

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Well, you're gonna be disappointed because it was mostly the guys who need to play hard to get icetime like Payerl dropping the gloves late and Acolatse running around who showed the continued effort. What annoyed me more was a couple of guys suddenly waking up in the third and hustling when they hadn't the rest of the game. The only guys who I thought were decent the whole game were Blidh, Lauzon, Zboril and maybe Senyshyn and Gabrielle. On the bad side, Connor Clifton is completely overmatched at this level. Overall just a lot of bad passes and zero communication on a day when Bridgeport didn't look good either. MacIntyre was a mixed bag. Some awful goals let in.

And the PBruins embarrassed themselves by managing to only have three people at the scoring/penalty table. This lead to the PA guy taking off his headsets to open the penalty box door, and there were plenty of those. H Scrooge McNoshow must have spent the weekend swimming in his money pile and couldn't afford another penalty box attendant.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

True story about my daughters recruitment: the coach who eventually got her to sign initially met her at a combine. She was the first base coach, my daughter was a 1st baseman. They chatted all day. Weeks went by, thought nothing of it. Polar Crush tournament, coaches every where, my kid chokes at the plate practically all weekend long except for maybe like two games. But she did great in field and was her weirdly usual sunshiney self. That was the game that coach made her decision and convinced her to at least come do a visit and check out the school. Kid had an offer in hand when I picked her up at end of weekend. Her worst tournament of the summer was what got her her college education just about paid for.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

When I coached, players were still not allowed to have curves on their sticks :laugh::help:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
When I coached, players were still not allowed to have curves on their sticks :laugh::help:

Too funny Dom, you reminded me that I seem to recall my father was very reluctant to allow me to have a curved stick until I was about 14, I was excited to own that Titan....didn`t help me bulge any twine but that`s another story

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
True story about my daughters recruitment: the coach who eventually got her to sign initially met her at a combine. She was the first base coach, my daughter was a 1st baseman. They chatted all day. Weeks went by, thought nothing of it. Polar Crush tournament, coaches every where, my kid chokes at the plate practically all weekend long except for maybe like two games. But she did great in field and was her weirdly usual sunshiney self. That was the game that coach made her decision and convinced her to at least come do a visit and check out the school. Kid had an offer in hand when I picked her up at end of weekend. Her worst tournament of the summer was what got her her college education just about paid for.

Great stuff

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Too funny Dom, you reminded me that I seem to recall my father was very reluctant to allow me to have a curved stick until I was about 14, I was excited to own that Titan....didn`t help me bulge any twine but that`s another story
The one AA team I made way back had us use the heaviest wooden sticks going(Coopers), it was terrible, some one must have got a deal on them. Anyways I was hoping by now the AHL team would be near the top of the standing with all these quality players. Is the injury bug with the big club ruining their lines?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Unfortunately, at this point, he needs to prove himself all over again. Hopefully, he tears it up and gives the B’s another option.

And you have to think he isn't really in game shape, either. If he picks up where he left off and stays healthy, I imagine it still might be two or three weeks before he's ready for a callup that won't set him up to fail.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Binning ton, the other Providence goalie, is on loan from St. Louis. So Sweeney must have made a commitment to play him.

Too bad. I'd like to see Vladar develop closer to home.

Binnington only plays on back to backs. Never seen him play at home and he didn’t even get inserted in last week’s blowout. Vladar gets his minutes in Atlanta.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
The point I was making was that Binnington is taking up a roster spot that could go to a Bruins' prospect.

And my point has been Vladar needs to play more not less and he’s getting that chance as a starter in Atlanta, not being a backup.

And I think Binnington has upside as a farmhand maybe Sweeney grabs him in the offseason when Mac theoretically moves up to replace Anton.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
And my point has been Vladar needs to play more not less and he’s getting that chance as a starter in Atlanta, not being a backup.

And I think Binnington has upside as a farmhand maybe Sweeney grabs him in the offseason when Mac theoretically moves up to replace Anton.
I haven't seen Vladar play at all ,but his stats looked pretty impressive for the couple of games he played,was he not worth a longer look.I love the big goalies.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I haven't seen Vladar play at all ,but his stats looked pretty impressive for the couple of games he played,was he not worth a longer look.I love the big goalies.
He impressed me in TC. Since the AHL is a Development league, one would think Dany would alternate with McIntyre and not be considered a backup as say in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino