Providence Bruins General Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I liked what I've seen of Cehlarik at the NHL level, but the dude can't seem to stay healthy.

Sometime health is just a blip. I never figured matt G soul p!at in the NHL because he couldn't withstand the rigors of life in hockey east without tons of injury problems. How he has had 2 healthy pro seasons

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
With free agency in sight, Czarnik mulls his options

Six weeks from unrestricted free agency, Austin Czarnik is weighing whether to re-up with the Boston Bruins or test the open market.

“We have been having some discussions since the season ended with Boston about the possibility of a contract extension, but we’re also taking some time to evaluate where Austin wants to go with it,’’ said Brian Bartlett, Czarnik’s agent.

The 25-year-old Miami University grad, who played a total of 59 NHL games with the Bruins over the last two years, is coming off a standout season with the Providence Bruins. Playing right wing on Providence’s top line, Czarnik finished third in scoring in the American Hockey League with career bests in goals (25) and points (69).

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
With free agency in sight, Czarnik mulls his options

Six weeks from unrestricted free agency, Austin Czarnik is weighing whether to re-up with the Boston Bruins or test the open market.

“We have been having some discussions since the season ended with Boston about the possibility of a contract extension, but we’re also taking some time to evaluate where Austin wants to go with it,’’ said Brian Bartlett, Czarnik’s agent.

The 25-year-old Miami University grad, who played a total of 59 NHL games with the Bruins over the last two years, is coming off a standout season with the Providence Bruins. Playing right wing on Providence’s top line, Czarnik finished third in scoring in the American Hockey League with career bests in goals (25) and points (69).

I don't blame him- he will land regular NHL playing time somewhere. I'd like to see him get his shot here, but there are a lot of wing prospects crowding the ranks and it doesn't appear that Boston wants to use him as a center.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I don't blame him- he will land regular NHL playing time somewhere. I'd like to see him get his shot here, but there are a lot of wing prospects crowding the ranks and it doesn't appear that Boston wants to use him as a center.

I don’t know why but I took the comments as positive. Boston clearly wants to keep him for a reason.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don’t know why but I took the comments as positive. Boston clearly wants to keep him for a reason.

Well he's doing what he ought to do- it might be that he wants to stay, but he's doing himself a service by keeping his options open. I am trying to imagine who he displaces on our current roster- Schaller, Bjork, Riley Nash?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Well he's doing what he ought to do- it might be that he wants to stay, but he's doing himself a service by keeping his options open. I am trying to imagine who he displaces on our current roster- Schaller, Bjork, Riley Nash?

Schaller = Could be back, but there could be a team out there that saw what he did this season (12G/10A/22P = 0.27PPG) and give him a pretty decent increase in pay from 925k, to either play a similar role or potentially give him an expanded role.

Bjork = Can play either wing, and could very well end up starting in the AHL if his recovery takes him into the TC/Preseason. He doesn't play center though, a position that Czarnik has shown he can play at the AHL level.

Riley Nash = Could easily get 3-3.5M+ AAV on the open market with the center group not being overly strong after Tavares. I don't see him back next season. I hope he's not back, because I feel it'd be a mega over payment and a brutal contract. Personally, I don't consider him an option. I think Czarnik extension discussions are happening because they don't plan on bringing Nash back.

Reactions: Dr Hook

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Schaller = Could be back, but there could be a team out there that saw what he did this season (12G/10A/22P = 0.27PPG) and give him a pretty decent increase in pay from 925k, to either play a similar role or potentially give him an expanded role.

Bjork = Can play either wing, and could very well end up starting in the AHL if his recovery takes him into the TC/Preseason. He doesn't play center though, a position that Czarnik has shown he can play at the AHL level.

Riley Nash = Could easily get 3-3.5M+ AAV on the open market with the center group not being overly strong after Tavares. I don't see him back next season. I hope he's not back, because I feel it'd be a mega over payment and a brutal contract. Personally, I don't consider him an option. I think Czarnik extension discussions are happening because they don't plan on bringing Nash back.

I appreciate what Nash did for the B`s but I fear the statistically pleasing season we just watched him have will look eerily like the one we saw Kelly have here prior to securing his last contract as a Bruin, an outlier rather than the norm

Schaller "might" have become too expensive but we`ll see. I think there`s a much better chance he`ll re-sign but not sure if DS and company have a plan to present that opportunity for a 4th line spot internally

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I appreciate what Nash did for the B`s but I fear the statistically pleasing season we just watched him have will look eerily like the one we saw Kelly have here prior to securing his last contract as a Bruin, an outlier rather than the norm

Schaller "might" have become too expensive but we`ll see. I think there`s a much better chance he`ll re-sign but not sure if DS and company have a plan to present that opportunity for a 4th line spot internally
That’s the problem, the plan. What is it? Is it still a youth movement or are they starting to make a move. Is it too early? Where is the retool in the plan? This affects the PBruins as well. Do they stock pile this year or use the assets. I like a year of experience down there. I don’t think they have anyone to move up, but I could be wrong.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That’s the problem, the plan. What is it? Is it still a youth movement or are they starting to make a move. Is it too early? Where is the retool in the plan?

It was always said it was a rebuild on the fly, so I imagine the mandate from JJ is "don't cost me any more playoff revenue." It's tough to get right. In some ways, a straight up rebuild would have been easier to do.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That’s the problem, the plan. What is it? Is it still a youth movement or are they starting to make a move. Is it too early? Where is the retool in the plan?

The "retool"? I think we saw an "on the fly" retool already this past year, the B`s kept the core together while introducing youth and my guess is that with the likelihood of Riley Nash being gone and perhaps a Schaller also means the door open for another prospect, maybe 2 if they stay away from the UFA route to take a spot. I think the plan is for them to introduce some youth each season, allowing them to keep costs low while remaining a strong team

My opinion is there are many NHL teams who would love to have the B`s "problems"

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Austin would be a pure right shot winger on a team short on that commodity. His ability to play center, his natural position, is an asset. He replaces Schaller who may find a better contract elsewhere.

I give AC a two year, one way deal.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Austin would be a pure right shot winger on a team short on that commodity. His ability to play center, his natural position, is an asset. He replaces Schaller who may find a better contract elsewhere.

I give AC a two year, one way deal.

I'd like to see it too- I've been a fan, but I can see where he might feel like he has a better shot somewhere else especially as his prime years are just ahead. I hope he stays, though.

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
do you know the reason why?

remer

Oct 18, 2005
I think Czarnik does have a place on the Bruins. They should not let an asset like him leave. Two year deal at $850
Lots of spots are open with the departure of Nash, Nash, Wingels and Schaller.

Reactions: BiGBear8

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I think Czarnik does have a place on the Bruins. They should not let an asset like him leave. Two year deal at $850
Lots of spots are open with the departure of Nash, Nash, Wingels and Schaller.

That's probably why they're talking extension with him. But if he chooses not to sign, it is what it is.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I see both positive and negative.

Boston is interested in him coming back, he's interested in staying.

But at the same time, sounds like he wants to see what offers are out there on July 1st and see if he has other, more palatable, options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad