Providence Bruins General Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Czarnik with 4 goals, 4 assists for 8 points in 4 games. Same number of points as Heinen (1-7-8).

Don't give up on this kid yet folks.
He's very smart player almost like a corner back who is not physical but solid in coverage and strong tackling technique.

I'm not writing him off

Reactions: KiwiBruin

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Binghamton mustered all of 14 shots for the game. Must have been a really stifling performance by the P-Bruins.

So very good to see Johansson back in the line up. He was the most polished and impressive D prospect during development camp. Hope to see with the bruins soon. Very impressive player.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He's very smart player almost like a corner back who is not physical but solid in coverage and strong tackling technique.

I'm not writing him off
IMO, I would trade Spooner and give his spot to Czarnick.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
IMO, I would trade Spooner and give his spot to Czarnick.

Czarnik turns 25 in like a month. Not even a full year younger than Spooner. Czarnik hasn't done it either. I just wonder if you can get anything productive out of him in 12 minutes a game without PP time. That's the struggle. Looks great as a top-6 all situations guy in the pre-season and with apparently with Providence as well. Straight zeros across the board in his two NHL games this season. Somewhat of a struggle last year as well after a great camp and recovering from Gudas hit. At 5'9 160, I don't think an NHL center gig is part of his future.

I'm a Spooner supporter, but I generally feel the same way about him now too. He too looks great in the American league and pre-season as a "go to". However as a complimentary player. Secondary scorer. Depth player. Nowhere to be found and often ineffective (outside the PP).

If he continues to tear it up though, you absolutely have to reward him. I Bjork ever hits a wall or gets injured, he's my pick for Bergeron's RW.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Bruins lose 3-2. Hargrove had two goals. Binnington stopped 25 of 28.

God, the Hershey announcer is a honk of the highest order. Lathering up Chris Bourque like he's Wayne Douglas Gretzky and soooo pumped about his 2 win Chocolatetown Bears.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Czarnik with 4 goals, 4 assists for 8 points in 4 games. Same number of points as Heinen (1-7-8).

Don't give up on this kid yet folks.

Biggest problem I have with Czarnik is I can't figure out if he's a C or RW at the NHL level.

If he could establish himself as an NHL-level RW I think helps his chances of making it in Boston. Is his two-way game good enough for C?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Biggest problem I have with Czarnik is I can't figure out if he's a C or RW at the NHL level.

If he could establish himself as an NHL-level RW I think helps his chances of making it in Boston. Is his two-way game good enough for C?

Personally, I see him as a winger. I know Colt mentioned he doesn't think he wins enough board battles to play wing but IMO, being strong along the walls and winning battles is more of a center thing now with the way the game has evolved. C's have to help win battles down low. Every once in a while there will be a puck up the wall on a breakout that the wing has to battle for but most times that puck is one-touched to the C/back to the D or chipped off the glass and out. And ever since they changed their breakout two years ago, the wings are asked to stretch the D by leaving the zone early so they can pick up indirect passes off the walls and glass. They're the guys who carry into the offensive zone now, not the centers. In the offensive zone, forward positions are meaningless. It's about motion, cycles and switches, moving pucks low to high and side to side.

So IMO, speed has become more important than size on the wing.

Fwiw, I think the whole RW/C thing is one of the issues holding him back. I think the B's see him as a center, and he's a bit undersized for that job. But because they "like him at center" they're very slow to consider him at wing. It's like Backes. They "liked" him at wing, and it's taken catastrophic injuries for them to even consider him at C.

Reactions: Silva and Blowfish

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Personally, I see him as a winger. I know Colt mentioned he doesn't think he wins enough board battles to play wing but IMO, being strong along the walls and winning battles is more of a center thing now with the way the game has evolved. C's have to help win battles down low. Every once in a while there will be a puck up the wall on a breakout that the wing has to battle for but most times that puck is one-touched to the C/back to the D or chipped off the glass and out. And ever since they changed their breakout two years ago, the wings are asked to stretch the D by leaving the zone early so they can pick up indirect passes off the walls and glass. They're the guys who carry into the offensive zone now, not the centers. In the offensive zone, forward positions are meaningless. It's about motion, cycles and switches, moving pucks low to high and side to side.

Fwiw, I think the whole RW/C thing is one of the issues holding him back. I think the B's see him as a center, and he's a bit undersized for that job. But because they "like him at center" they're very slow to consider him at wing. It's like Backes. They "liked" him at wing, and it's taken catastrophic injuries for them to even consider him at C.

Agree 100%, in particular the bolded parts.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Hoping he replaces Vatrano soon. Vatrano with 0 goals and 0 assists so far. Not good for a scoring winger.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I'm concerned about Cehlarik. He missed both weekend games. The last info we had on him was that he was being held out for precaution.

I thought he had recovered from his shoulder surgery.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm concerned about Cehlarik. He missed both weekend games. The last info we had on him was that he was being held out for precaution.

I thought he had recovered from his shoulder surgery.

I could be wrong, but I thought the injury he was nursing now was lower body, and unrelated to his shoulder surgery?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I could be wrong, but I thought the injury he was nursing now was lower body, and unrelated to his shoulder surgery?

I'm hoping it's just a bad streak of luck for this kid. He's got the skill and size to be a top 9 winger, but I would hate all of these injuries to set him back further.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
In The AHL Czarnik, Heinen and Szwarz were gold. If you get rid of Spooner and make Czarnik 3rd line center, give him Heinen and DeBrusk. DeBrusk is pretty good at back checking and doing the dirty work in front of the net. Heinen is good all around. Put Backes back with Krech and Pasta when Krech gets back.

Reactions: Silva

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
In The AHL Czarnik, Heinen and Szwarz were gold. If you get rid of Spooner and make Czarnik 3rd line center, give him Heinen and DeBrusk. DeBrusk is pretty good at back checking and doing the dirty work in front of the net. Heinen is good all around. Put Backes back with Krech and Pasta when Krech gets back.

Yeah can we not do a line with essentially 3 rookies. I don't trust Czarnik in the middle period, I trust him even less with two rookie wingers.

And Backes isn't about to start playing LW with 46/88.

Leave Backes in the middle, doing the hardest job (C) on a line with two young wingers.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Yeah can we not do a line with essentially 3 rookies. I don't trust Czarnik in the middle period, I trust him even less with two rookie wingers.

And Backes isn't about to start playing LW with 46/88.

Leave Backes in the middle, doing the hardest job (C) on a line with two young wingers.
As a checking center backes has value but is a black hole offensively like Nash

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
As a checking center backes has value but is a black hole offensively like Nash

I'm not going to debate Backes in P-Bruins thread.

I'll ask you this.....do you believe Austin Czarnik is currently a good offensive player at the NHL level?

And is Austin Czarnik good enough defensive player to be a center at the NHL level?

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I'm not going to debate Backes in P-Bruins thread.

I'll ask you this.....do you believe Austin Czarnik is currently a good offensive player at the NHL level?

And is Austin Czarnik good enough defensive player to be a center at the NHL level?

Well Providence is hopefully developing him to be an all around center, gotta be Czarnik's last kick at the can before Europe. Everyone else wants to get rid of Spooner and I do not see Backes creating enough offence. We need more scoring, Bergy and Marchand are being checked tighter. Teams look at the line up and see the second and thid lines and say well we only need to shut down Bergy. Sure Backes is great down low and well basically he is Kelly (a better passer, hitter). Czarnik as a 3rd line center can probably do what Spooner did, I say no worse. Its a different look who knows, not you not me, right. Do they want offence or defence on the 3rd line? Pick your poison and live with it. When krech comes back maybe go old school 2 scoring lines 2 checking lines. Bergy Krech, Backes, Nash down the middle, Julien style. Balancing the lines may not work.

Beantown1616

Jul 14, 2016
IMO Czarnik is currently close to being a decent offensive contributor at the NHL level and, again, close to good enough defensively to be a center in the NHL.

Like BruinDust, not sure that I trust him just yet but I would be willing to take a risk and to see if he can find his game. I think the kid eventually breaks through because of hockey IQ and hustle but he's running out of time (whether or not that is his fault is a separate question).

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
IMO Czarnik is currently close to being a decent offensive contributor at the NHL level and, again, close to good enough defensively to be a center in the NHL.

Like BruinDust, not sure that I trust him just yet but I would be willing to take a risk and to see if he can find his game. I think the kid eventually breaks through because of hockey IQ and hustle but he's running out of time (whether or not that is his fault is a separate question).

I Rather see the kid get a chance then seeing another Kelly clone blocking a kid. We really need to see if he can elevate his game or not. Making a call on him now without seeing one way or the other is silly. Keep the other guy at wing where he is more effective and has less skating to do as a older player

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad