GDT: GDT #10 Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders | Hockey Fights Cancer Night | November 4th | 7:30 PM | F/4-3 OTL

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Being outchanced as badly as they were, they really had no business winning that game and ever being up 3-0.
They outplayed Carolina to get to 3-0. As soon as they got there, and especially after the first Canes goal, they changed their game and played 30+ minutes of PK essentially. It was Game 6 all over again.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Wait until Boston Takes the Isles apart on the 9th....
Maybe Lou wakes up after that happens?

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Not that Mayfield was the sole reason they lost, but I just knew when the Canes were stirring the pot with him in the 3rd period that he was going to eventually take a dumb penalty that would cost the Isles, and he did.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Not that Mayfield was the sole reason they lost, but I just knew when the Canes were stirring the pot with him in the 3rd period that he was going to eventually take a dumb penalty that would cost the Isles, and he did.

Yup he almost always takes the Bait...

Reactions: beach

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Has Lambert been catapulted into the sun yet?

They outplayed Carolina to get to 3-0. As soon as they got there, and especially after the first Canes goal, they changed their game and played 30+ minutes of PK essentially. It was Game 6 all over again.
Yup. Prevent defense is the stupidest way to play any game whatsoever. Yet coaches keep going to it because reasons

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Does Lane Lambert have a sense of the game from behind the bench. Same as in Game 6 of the playoffs last year, tonight the momentum got away from us and tilted heavily towards the Hurricanes. Call a time out? Make some adjustments? Nope.

Fire Lambert.
No he doesn’t, he’d rather save his timeout for the final minute in a tied game than call one at 3-2 to prevent even getting to a tie game.

He needs to go.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Give Carolina credit - even when the isles were able to get possession without fvcking it up in their own zone, Carolina forecheck forced the isles to dump it from the neutral zone, which is a free change of possssion for the canes. Isles didn’t carry it in the zone and didn’t chase after the dump either.

Reactions: MJF

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
The team that eliminated them comes into their building and scores 4 unanswered to win in OT. Doesn’t that piss them off at all? Seems like it’s just business as usual for the team.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Being outchanced as badly as they were, they really had no business winning that game and ever being up 3-0.
THANK YOU

Give Carolina credit - even when the isles were able to get possession without fvcking it up in their own zone, Carolina forecheck forced the isles to dump it from the neutral zone, which is a free change of possssion for the canes. Isles didn’t carry it in the zone and didn’t chase after the dump either.
Nah the isles just sit on their ass all day long. They didn't adjust. Brindamour LOVES playing this shit team so much.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not putting this here as a defense of Lambert, but when he talks about having to make plays in the defensive zone to get the puck out and spur our offense, I'll point out the inability of our players to execute in the face of an aggressive forecheck. I've been saying this for years. Teams that come at us fast and hard cause us to make bad decisions and take penalties over and over again. It's more than a lack of poise, we have a bunch of players who can't make a clean pass or manage the puck under pressure.

So Lambert can keep talking about how this can be easily cleaned up. It can't because these players don't have that kind of skill.

Nah the isles just sit on their ass all day long. They didn't adjust. Brindamour LOVES playing this shit team so much.
Why shouldn't he? The Islanders aren't built to handle a fast team like the Hurricanes.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
When you give up a hundred shot attempts in a game, it’s a sign you’re outmatched. Lambert has to find a way to play tighter or he must go.

Exactly this. People seem to be splitting the game up into two halves: going up 3-0 and then losing the lead to make it 3-3. I saw 60 minutes of us getting caved in with pressure and shot attempts -- exactly the same story as paying the lottery Capitals except they were too slow and shitty (and unlucky at times) to capitalize (pun intended). When we went up 3-0 in this game, we were getting massively outshot and outchanced. We had 2 shots in the 2nd half way through (and scored on both of them).

I guess some can choose to believe that we can get entirely double and tripled up in shots/shot chances, rely on our goalies to stand on their head every game, and win by scoring at a shooting percentage that has never been seen in the history of hockey. I'm going to choose to believe that we just aren't good enough because of lack of motivation from the coaches, a mismatch in our play style to our personnel, or because we just don't have the horses.

I don't see "we were up 3-0" and deserved to win. I see we gave up f***ing triple-digit attempts at our goal and deserved to lose.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Exactly this. People seem to be splitting the game up into two halves: going up 3-0 and then losing the lead to make it 3-3. I saw 60 minutes of us getting caved in with pressure and shot attempts -- exactly the same story as paying the lottery Capitals except they were too slow and shitty (and unlucky at times) to capitalize (pun intended). When we went up 3-0 in this game, we were getting massively outshot and outchanced. We had 2 shots in the 2nd half way through (and scored on both of them).

I guess some can choose to believe that we can get entirely double and tripled up in shots/shot chances, rely on our goalies to stand on their head every game, and win by scoring at a shooting percentage that has never been seen in the history of hockey. I'm going to choose to believe that we just aren't good enough because of lack of motivation from the coaches, a mismatch in our play style to our personnel, or because we just don't have the horses.

I don't see "we were up 3-0" and deserved to win. I see we gave up f***ing triple-digit attempts at our goal and deserved to lose.
And even IF i hate moneypuck, this was a game the Canes played better FROM THE START. You want to win against the best teams in hockey? Be structured and smart. When I watch the islanders, I see a team that doesn't get out of their zone at all. I see a team struggling outside of Barzal, Pulock, Horvat and Nelson. I see a team thats just completely lost when a team plays aggressive forechecking. The Canes rawdogged them. Carolina was down Bunting, Pesce and played JACK DRURY who sucks ass. We let Jalen Chatfield score THRITY SECONDS after the 3-0 goal. This is a lazy team. This is a team that wants to win a cup? And you wanna win the cup? You aren't getting past the Rangers or Devils with this team. They're so bad even at 5-2-3. It masks so much valid criticism of them. You cant even argue that this is the Caps game, because at least the Caps lost control after the 2nd period. Carolina refused to let go from each whistle. Its annoying. And even in FA, we can't fix that issue at all due to the salary cap. I really hate that i'm venting like this, but this game is the one that frustrates everyone.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Not putting this here as a defense of Lambert, but when he talks about having to make plays in the defensive zone to get the puck out and spur our offense, I'll point out the inability of our players to execute in the face of an aggressive forecheck. I've been saying this for years. Teams that come at us fast and hard cause us to make bad decisions and take penalties over and over again. It's more than a lack of poise, we have a bunch of players who can't make a clean pass or manage the puck under pressure.

So Lambert can keep talking about how this can be easily cleaned up. It can't because these players don't have that kind of skill.

And that's exactly why having a smooth skating defenseman who can avoid that pressure is so important. They need to find a guy who can breakout on his own or cause forecheckers to miss.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005

For a period-plus they gave up a ton of shot attempts that were almost entirely harmless. Which is pretty much the cost of doing business when playing Carolina. They repulsed those attempts, attacked the Canes and took a 3-goal lead.

Then they gave up a ton of shot attempts that were not harmless, instead a barrage of prime scoring chances. And they tried doing that for half the game until it was tied. The contrast was clear as day.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
And that's exactly why having a smooth skating defenseman who can avoid that pressure is so important. They need to find a guy who can breakout on his own or cause forecheckers to miss.

This team never fully replaced Toews and Leddy. Defensively that is where the main problem is going to be. I remember when Snow was GM Craig Button did some interview on the Isles trading Leddy and said the problem with trading him is the second you move him you are looking for another one. That still rings true.

Pageau needs to be moved as well which I have been screaming around for a while now. The team looks good in many aspects but Lambert needs to call a timeout there once it was made 3-1 in my opinion. The Hurricanes had been gaining a major amount of momentum and that would have been the moment to stop it. Poor coaching week in general for Lambert.

The offense looks much better but the other HUGE issue is the defense needs to be at 100% for the Isles to play a truly effective game. Lou did not give Trotz the offense he needed and he is not giving Lambert the defense he needs currently.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
For a period-plus they gave up a ton of shot attempts that were almost entirely harmless. Which is pretty much the cost of doing business when playing Carolina. They repulsed those attempts, attacked the Canes and took a 3-goal lead.

Then they gave up a ton of shot attempts that were not harmless, instead a barrage of prime scoring chances. And they tried doing that for half the game until it was tied. The contrast was clear as day.

I agree but slightly disagree. Law of averages. Two ridiculously harmless shots knuckled into our net (after 2 hit the post that we got lucky on). When 100 pucks get thrown at our net, they grow in harm because of the volume.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
The problem is not the roster. This roster has as good a chance as any to compete for the Cup. The problem with this team is the game plan and this problem harks all the way back to the year Trotz joined this club 5 years ago. The problem is this team plays too a risk adverse game plan that it relies on zone defense to finish out a game when they have the lead and at least under Trotz relied too much on the opponents to make a mistake on the Isles forecheck to generate offense even when they are down only one or two goals late in the game. That risk adverse nature of the game cost this team the ability to generate goals when it needs to and to defend properly when they just have to protect the lead.

Again as has been mentioned in several threads, this is not a game of chess but this is how both Lambert and Trotz before him approached the game. If you completely buy into the system you can control the other players movements by only making the right decisions. But unlike chess there are too variables you don’t have control over, like physical mistakes, unlucky puck bounces, and psychological factors which don’t play any part in chess. It’s this variable, psychological stress that the coaching staff is doing a TERRIBLE job understanding.

They believe if you play not to lose in the third period and stick to strict zone defense you will invariably beat the other team. Problem is every team caught onto this starting I noticed starting with Lightning’s Cooper since the first playoffs in the ECF. He told his team “don’t worry about the Islanders if they are leading in the 3rd period they will play zone defense and they will make practically no attempt launch a counter attack. So can cheat as much as you want, join the rush as much as you want and take as many shots as you want because they always collapse around their goaltender and idea of going the other way is practically non existent.”

And that’s what we are seeing here. And this Has to be what the Lambert is telling them because it’s too predictable and we’ve all seen it one too many times. This is not chess. You can’t fully control what the other player does. You cannot play a mistake free game such that you can control what the other team does. There’s a lot of psychology in all sports. You need to get into the opponents heads.

The solution to current Islanders collapses in the 3rd period is simply making sure the other team understands you are still playing to win and not just going backwards on your heels playing not lose. Yes the objective is still to protect your lead don’t telegraph this like poorly telegraphed plays during a power play. The opponent has to fear that you are going to launch a counter attack with odd man rushes the other way if you play too aggressively in your attempts to catch up or tie a game. And you do this over and over again until the opponent thinks twice about pressing.

So what that means is if the team is pressing and the Dmen are joining the rush the Isles have to try to gain possession and soon as they do chip the puck into the center ice and have two players already headed the other way. But the Isles don’t do this like other team would do because they are coached to be too risk adverse. “No no stay back and just protect the lead”. This the game plan they have taken ever since Trotz was here and now that everyone has caught onto the plan our goaltenders are just getting annihilated because every team knows the Isles don’t launch counterattacks late in the game. This creates a lot of angst for our players and goaltenders and a lot of confidence for the opposing team.

So to me this is the solution to problem (be a threat to score with odd man rushes the other way) in addition to a hybrid zone defense for better gap control where they are putting more pressure at the blue line by playing more man on man when up high and an anchor zone defense down low. This puts pressure on the opponent to make mistakes and not give them time to set up.

If Lambert does have this type of answer to the Isles current defensive woes he needs to go.

Last edited:

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
"If Lambert does have this type of answer to the Isles current defensive woes he needs to go"

He does not...and he should!

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
5th oldest in the league. It was a mediocre roster in the bubble but they were scrappy and had a lot of heart. Now they’re mediocre with great goaltenders. Sigh.
Great goaltenders dont give up 4-5 goals every game. At least one of them currently doesnt.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
The good:

-Dobson a stud
-Barzal/Horvat great duo
-Romanov is steady back there
-lines 2/3

The Bad
-LANE LAMBERT
-Anders Lee a BLACK HOLE. He is brutal.
-Team Defense is not great right now. Losing guys in the defensive zone at an alarming rate.

Can’t blame Sorokin for tonight. Could’ve had OT goal but others no chance on. Redirected pucks and a guy all alone in front of the net. I would for sure play Varly on Tuesday tho. Let’s see if he can stay hot and roll with him. Team should be 7-2-1 at the very least. 5-2-3 isn’t bad collecting points but just frustrating man…this is a good team, gotta clean things up.

I saw some stats on Lee and one that really surprised me is that he is pretty high up in the league for chances per 60 min. His expected goals is like top 15 in the NHL. He gets higher when you start removing some of the low minute players.

I don’t blame Sorokin at all. But I don’t think he has reached the level he was at last year. And I think that plays in a bit to these blown leads (just like in the playoffs last year). Isles need elite goaltending to win. This is admittedly without any real dive into the numbers.

If this team could win any OT games at all it would mask some of these blown leads. But at this point it is almost comical how bad they are in OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad