GDT: GDT #10 Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders | Hockey Fights Cancer Night | November 4th | 7:30 PM | F/4-3 OTL

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
One thing that coaching has taught me is that late-game collapses are more often about differences in energy levels between the teams. Seems like a lot of folk here think that has to do with strategy, or something the coach can manipulate. But maybe it's that one team simply had that much more to give in the 3rd period.

I'm with MJF, and think that NYI's age (especially wrt the 4th line, and Lee) really makes it difficult.

Reactions: MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
One thing that coaching has taught me is that late-game collapses are more often about differences in energy levels between the teams. Seems like a lot of folk here think that has to do with strategy, or something the coach can manipulate. But maybe it's that one team simply had that much more to give in the 3rd period.

I'm with MJF, and think that NYI's age (especially wrt the 4th line, and Lee) really makes it difficult.

Bingo.

There's a natural tendency when you have a lead to make more safe plays regardless of what strategy is implemented, but that shouldn't be the reason for giving up goals the way they often do. What people forget is that there are two teams on the ice competing. As time starts to become more of a factor the opposition can change what they're doing as well. They'll become more desperate and try different things and/or take more risks. For the third period specifically, the players have had 40 minutes of playing against what the Islanders are doing and they might be making adjustments to what has been happening as well.

I didn't notice the Islanders sitting back more, they just didn't have the puck as much as in the first period. Guys like Barzal weren't dictating play as much anymore and it's incredibly unlikely that a coach would tell his players to stop doing that. What's more likely is that Carolina started to adjust to whatever he, and the rest of the team, was doing. Fatigue can also be a thing, even if it's minor. Sitting Bolduc and rolling 5 defenseman out there can create a disruption (and that would definitely be on the coach) in chemistry and flow. You don't get 100 shot attempts in a single period, they were throwing everything at the net from the first drop of the puck.

It's just way more than "the coach is telling them to sit back."

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011

I thought that as a possibility. Are they just gassed? This team doesn't just roll the 4th line, but are they scoring when the 4th line is on the ice? As I said before, I am less likely to believe this because both teams having been playing for 3 periods and I don't find that the Islanders tend to play a very aggressive style for the first 2 periods. I think we would just be providing them with a convenient excuse.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Bingo.

There's a natural tendency when you have a lead to make more safe plays regardless of what strategy is implemented, but that shouldn't be the reason for giving up goals the way they often do. What people forget is that there are two teams on the ice competing. As time starts to become more of a factor the opposition can change what they're doing as well. They'll become more desperate and try different things and/or take more risks. For the third period specifically, the players have had 40 minutes of playing against what the Islanders are doing and they might be making adjustments to what has been happening as well.

I didn't notice the Islanders sitting back more, they just didn't have the puck as much as in the first period. Guys like Barzal weren't dictating play as much anymore and it's incredibly unlikely that a coach would tell his players to stop doing that. What's more likely is that Carolina started to adjust to whatever he, and the rest of the team, was doing. Fatigue can also be a thing, even if it's minor. Sitting Bolduc and rolling 5 defenseman out there can create a disruption (and that would definitely be on the coach) in chemistry and flow. You don't get 100 shot attempts in a single period, they were throwing everything at the net from the first drop of the puck.

It's just way more than "the coach is telling them to sit back."
The problem is the Islanders are not adjusting appropriately to the ebbs and flows of the game and they are getting hemmed into their own zone far too many times in the 3rd period especially when they are the team in the lead. This is on the coach. If you are saying that this team is so old it can only last for 2 periods and are completely gassed by the 3rd that would be on Lou. I don't think however that this is the problem much at all. The teams absolutely are changing their tactics by the third period and one team is falling back and the other is attacking.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The problem is the Islanders are not adjusting appropriately to the ebbs and flows of the game and they are getting hemmed into their own zone far too many times in the 3rd period especially when they are the team in the lead. This is on the coach. If you are saying that this team is so old it can only last for 2 periods and are completely gassed by the 3rd that would be on Lou. I don't think however that this is the problem much at all.

Maybe, it could also be the players he's given can't execute no matter what.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

So, when the team consistently collapsed under Cappy, was the age the difference at that time too?

Or keep a sustained momentum of play. Who on this squad is a difference maker? Make a timely hit (this going out of the game anyway)?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The problem is the Islanders are not adjusting appropriately to the ebbs and flows of the game and they are getting hemmed into their own zone far too many times in the 3rd period especially when they are the team in the lead. This is on the coach. If you are saying that this team is so old it can only last for 2 periods and are completely gassed by the 3rd that would be on Lou. I don't think however that this is the problem much at all. The teams absolutely are changing their tactics by the third period and one team is falling back and the other is attacking.
It IS on Lou. That's what so many of us have been saying the last couple of years. We no longer have the horses. That you don't agree with it is the crux of why you are having these long diatribes trying to defend your opinion.

We have a BINGO.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
It IS on Lou. That's what so many of us have been saying the last couple of years. We no longer have the horses. That you don't agree with it is the crux of why you are having these long diatribes trying to defend your opinion.
Well I've been kinda trying to say that as well but often to my own demise so I try to stay out of that argument now.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I thought that as a possibility. Are they just gassed? This team doesn't just roll the 4th line, but are they scoring when the 4th line is on the ice? As I said before, I am less likely to believe this because both teams having been playing for 3 periods and I don't find that the Islanders tend to play a very aggressive style for the first 2 periods. I think we would just be providing them with a convenient excuse.
Excuses are neither here nor there.

I don't know what playing aggressively has to do with fatigue. 'Aggressive' can mean lots of different things. But I do know that not having the puck most of the time often means having to extend shifts, and that relates to fatigue. And I can say with some authority that resilience is a feature of youth.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Excuses are neither here nor there.

I don't know what playing aggressively has to do with fatigue. 'Aggressive' can mean lots of different things. But I do know that not having the puck most of the time often means having to extend shifts, and that relates to fatigue. And I can say with some authority that resilience is a feature of youth.
Well one of the things that was discussed in particular was that Trotz system of play was exhausting for the players.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

They were outplayed for most of the game. I don't see this as a late game collapse but the inevitable happening.

The fatigue that is occurring is more with the defense. That's the by-product of not trusting Bolduc and tbh the risk associated with playing him is far less than exposing Aho and in some cases Dobson to increased responsibility in the D zone.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
The Canes get a high number of pucks on net from anywhere on the ice because that has been their game plan against every team. Against the Isles that number is even higher because especially in the third period they turtle and simply play only zone defense and rarely if ever launch a counter attack. With so many Canes players chipping in there is no excuse for the Islanders not to have any odd man rushes the other way. This is on the coach who must be telling them to focus only on defense and protect the lead collapsing around our goaltenders. Going the other way even with numbers would seem too risky for Lambert so it ends up being a shooting gallery against our goaltenders.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
The Canes get a high number of pucks on net from anywhere on the ice because that has been their game plan against every team. Against the Isles that number is even higher because especially in the third period they turtle and simply play only zone defense and rarely if ever launch a counter attack. With so many Canes players chipping in there is no excuse for the Islanders not to have any odd man rushes the other way. This is on the coach who must be telling them to focus only on defense and protect the lead collapsing around our goaltenders. Going the other way even with numbers would seem too risky for Lambert so it ends up being a shooting gallery against our goaltenders.
I agree about the coach, but the reason they get more attempts against the NYI , is because of possession and that’s directly attributed to getting to the puck first thus the opportunity to go the other way isn’t happening

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
AJcKB63.gif

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Didn't see the game. It’s inexcusable to blow a 3-0, and still lose. This is not a true contender, the absence of Pelech only compromises that.

Glad Holmstrom is showing a scoring touch.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Why is the number even higher against the Islanders you must ask? Beaten to the puck, possession it's no accident over 100 attempts speaks volumes as to who has the puck. The Islanders under BT and now have like many teams collapsed down low to protect the slot, giving up perimeter shots . And then counter attacking. Sadly the team has gotten older and slower and it wasn't a fast team prior. Every player wants the puck on his stick and no player wants to be stopping and starting in the D-zone constantly it's tiring . So I'm not sold on the refrain from offence narrative to only play Defense. This teams strength has been strong goaltending Defense and a strong forecheck in the past . We have great goaltending , our D of late has show it's lack of depth and that injuries are now common with some of our vets, and the forecheck is a shell of it past.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
They were outplayed for most of the game. I don't see this as a late game collapse but the inevitable happening.

The fatigue that is occurring is more with the defense. That's the by-product of not trusting Bolduc and tbh the risk associated with playing him is far less than exposing Aho and in some cases Dobson to increased responsibility in the D zone.
I don't doubt there's increased fatigue in the defense corps. But looking at NYI vs. other teams, the issue is that our wings win fewer races to pucks & battles for pucks in the defensive zone than other teams' wings. Is that a result of a collapsing to the middle style of defense, or a lack of mobility on the wings? Yes. Only Holmstrom and Engvall seem to win the majority of their races/battles in the defensive zone. Lee is the opposite - a total liability. Barzal doesn't know what he's doing yet.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
According to the data this team ties for the youngest team the Isles have had since 2017-2018 season. They averaged a year older under Trotz when they made the ECF. If Engvall, Horvat, Romanov, Dobson, Holstrom were brought in for speed I don’t see how old, slow, and tired can be the excuse. To me it’s the game plan.

Islander roster ages throughout the years

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I don't doubt there's increased fatigue in the defense corps. But looking at NYI vs. other teams, the issue is that our wings win fewer races to pucks & battles for pucks in the defensive zone than other teams' wings. Is that a result of a collapsing to the middle style of defense, or a lack of mobility on the wings? Yes. Only Holmstrom and Engvall seem to win the majority of their races/battles in the defensive zone. Lee is the opposite - a total liability. Barzal doesn't know what he's doing yet.
Barzal leads the team in takeaways; hard to do that if he isn't figuring that out. I haven't seen too much about Barzal's D-zone play this year to criticize. It's the 2G in 36 SOGs that's tough to swallow. We complain about his not shooting enough but he's on pace for nearly 300 SOGs.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I’m liking Holmstrom. Looks like he should be a solid middle sixer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad