GDT: GDT #10 Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders | Hockey Fights Cancer Night | November 4th | 7:30 PM | F/4-3 OTL

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
For my Dad and wife who are both fighting cancer at the moment and to everyone else on the board impacted or fighting the disease.

1699104278698.png

1699104331765.png

NEW YORK ISLANDERS (5-2-2) VS CAROLINA HURRICANES (6-5-0)
7:30 PM | UBS ARENA | BUY TICKETS
WATCH: MSGSN | MSG+ | ESPN+
LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM | 1050AM

The New York Islanders are back home and ready to take on the Carolina Hurricanes on Saturday at UBS Arena, as the team hosts Hockey Fights Cancer night.

The Islanders are coming off a 3-0 shutout win over the Washington Capitals on Thursday at Capital One Arena. Semyon Varlamov extended his shutout streak to 137:20, while Ryan Pulock (GWG) Simon Holmstrom and Brock Nelson (1G, 1A) handled the offense. The Islanders capitalized on three of their first five shots on a night they were ultimately outshot 32-21. The Islanders had to roll five defensemen after Adam Pelech left the game in the first period and did not return.

“For the most part, I thought we played pretty well,” Head Coach Lane Lambert said on Thursday night. “I thought our third period was outstanding. We played a solid road game especially without a defenseman for most of the game, so we had to manage that.”

The Hurricanes fell 2-1 to the New York Rangers on Thursday, putting an end to their three-game win streak. Seth Jarvis scored for Carolina, while Chris Kreider and Will Cuylle (GWG) scored for the Rangers in their sixth consecutive win. Frederik Andersen made 24 saves in the loss.

The Isles went 1-3-0 against the Canes last season and faced them in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in April. The Islanders were eliminated in six games. In regular season play, the Isles are 0-4-1 in their last five home games against Carolina.

1699104345227.png

ISLANDERS NOTES:​

- The Islanders are 3-0-1 in their last four outings and will look extend their point streak to five games as they welcome in the Hurricanes on Saturday. The Islanders are 3-1-2 at home this season.

- The Islanders saw good news and bad news on the injury front on Thursday night. Scott Mayfield made his return to the lineup after missing seven straight games with a lower-body injury, skating 21:21 TOI and recording an assist, three shots and three blocks.

“I liked this game," Head Coach Lane Lambert said of Mayfield. "I thought he was very good. He was solid defensively and I thought it was great in the penalty kill."

- On the other hand, Adam Pelech left the game in the first period and did not return. Lambert had no updates on the veteran defenseman after the game. The Islanders did not practice on Friday, so there have been no updates to Pelech’s status since Thursday night.

- Semyon Varlamov recorded his 40th career shutout and 15th as an Islander. The Russian netminder strung together two shutouts (2-0 at CBJ on Oct. 28) to mark the third time he posted consecutive shutouts in his career with the Islanders. Varlamov’s 15th shutout vaulted him ahead of Tommy Salo for sole possession of fifth place on the Isles all-time leaderboard.

- The Islanders lead the NHL with three shutouts. Varlamov owns two of the three shutouts of the season with Ilya Sorokin recording the other this season.

- Pulock’s goal marked the earliest game-winner in Isles history, scoring 22 seconds into the game for his first goal of the season on Thursday. The veteran defenseman had five goals last season along with 21 assists through 82 games.

- Pierre Engvall is riding a three-game point streak with three assists over that span.

- The Islanders have opened the scoring in seven of their first nine games, going 5-0-2 when scoring first.

- The Islanders have only allowed a league-low three goals against in first periods their first nine games.

- The Islanders’ penalty kill has gone 20-for-22 over the span of their last six games.

1699104364301.png

HURRICANES NOTES:​

- The Hurricanes are 6-5-0 to start the season, playing a road-heavy schedule to start the season. Carolina has played eight of their first 11 games on the road, going 3-5-0 over that span. Eleven of Carolina’s first 15 games will be on the road.

- Teuvo Teravainen leads the team with eight goals in his eighth season with Carolina.

- Jesperi Kotkaniemi (4G, 6A) and Seth Jarvis (5G, 5A) are tied for the team lead in points (10).

- Dmitry Orlov inked a two-year deal with the Canes on July 1. The 32-year-old defenseman has four points through his first 11 games as a Hurricane.

- The Islanders will not face Brett Pesce on Saturday night. Per Hurricanes PR, the 28-year-old defenseman had surgery on Oct. 24 to correct a lower-body injury and is considered week-to-week.

- Sebastian Aho is particularly potent offensively against the Islanders. The 26-year-old forward potted three goals in three games against the Isles last season, and has a career 15 points (5G, 10A) in 22 games against the Islanders.

- Andrei Svechnikov returned to the lineup after missing the first eight games of the season. The Russian winger had a season-ending lower-body injury had underwent surgery in March. In the three games of his return this season, Svechnikov recorded an assist and took three shots over that span. He had 55 points (23G, 32A) through 64 games last season with the Hurricanes.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
btw, Pelech is probably just missing a week or two. Disaster avoided but more Bolduc opportunities. We need him to be good today, because the Canes absolutely abused him last April.

Reactions: doublechili

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
For my Dad and wife who are both fighting cancer at the moment and to everyone else on the board impacted or fighting the disease.

View attachment 762749

View attachment 762751

The New York Islanders are back home and ready to take on the Carolina Hurricanes on Saturday at UBS Arena, as the team hosts Hockey Fights Cancer night.

The Islanders are coming off a 3-0 shutout win over the Washington Capitals on Thursday at Capital One Arena. Semyon Varlamov extended his shutout streak to 137:20, while Ryan Pulock (GWG) Simon Holmstrom and Brock Nelson (1G, 1A) handled the offense. The Islanders capitalized on three of their first five shots on a night they were ultimately outshot 32-21. The Islanders had to roll five defensemen after Adam Pelech left the game in the first period and did not return.

“For the most part, I thought we played pretty well,” Head Coach Lane Lambert said on Thursday night. “I thought our third period was outstanding. We played a solid road game especially without a defenseman for most of the game, so we had to manage that.”

The Hurricanes fell 2-1 to the New York Rangers on Thursday, putting an end to their three-game win streak. Seth Jarvis scored for Carolina, while Chris Kreider and Will Cuylle (GWG) scored for the Rangers in their sixth consecutive win. Frederik Andersen made 24 saves in the loss.

The Isles went 1-3-0 against the Canes last season and faced them in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in April. The Islanders were eliminated in six games. In regular season play, the Isles are 0-4-1 in their last five home games against Carolina.

View attachment 762752

- The Islanders are 3-0-1 in their last four outings and will look extend their point streak to five games as they welcome in the Hurricanes on Saturday. The Islanders are 3-1-2 at home this season.

- The Islanders saw good news and bad news on the injury front on Thursday night. Scott Mayfield made his return to the lineup after missing seven straight games with a lower-body injury, skating 21:21 TOI and recording an assist, three shots and three blocks.

“I liked this game," Head Coach Lane Lambert said of Mayfield. "I thought he was very good. He was solid defensively and I thought it was great in the penalty kill."

- On the other hand, Adam Pelech left the game in the first period and did not return. Lambert had no updates on the veteran defenseman after the game. The Islanders did not practice on Friday, so there have been no updates to Pelech’s status since Thursday night.

- Semyon Varlamov recorded his 40th career shutout and 15th as an Islander. The Russian netminder strung together two shutouts (2-0 at CBJ on Oct. 28) to mark the third time he posted consecutive shutouts in his career with the Islanders. Varlamov’s 15th shutout vaulted him ahead of Tommy Salo for sole possession of fifth place on the Isles all-time leaderboard.

- The Islanders lead the NHL with three shutouts. Varlamov owns two of the three shutouts of the season with Ilya Sorokin recording the other this season.

- Pulock’s goal marked the earliest game-winner in Isles history, scoring 22 seconds into the game for his first goal of the season on Thursday. The veteran defenseman had five goals last season along with 21 assists through 82 games.

- Pierre Engvall is riding a three-game point streak with three assists over that span.

- The Islanders have opened the scoring in seven of their first nine games, going 5-0-2 when scoring first.

- The Islanders have only allowed a league-low three goals against in first periods their first nine games.

- The Islanders’ penalty kill has gone 20-for-22 over the span of their last six games.

View attachment 762753

- The Hurricanes are 6-5-0 to start the season, playing a road-heavy schedule to start the season. Carolina has played eight of their first 11 games on the road, going 3-5-0 over that span. Eleven of Carolina’s first 15 games will be on the road.

- Teuvo Teravainen leads the team with eight goals in his eighth season with Carolina.

- Jesperi Kotkaniemi (4G, 6A) and Seth Jarvis (5G, 5A) are tied for the team lead in points (10).

- Dmitry Orlov inked a two-year deal with the Canes on July 1. The 32-year-old defenseman has four points through his first 11 games as a Hurricane.

- The Islanders will not face Brett Pesce on Saturday night. Per Hurricanes PR, the 28-year-old defenseman had surgery on Oct. 24 to correct a lower-body injury and is considered week-to-week.

- Sebastian Aho is particularly potent offensively against the Islanders. The 26-year-old forward potted three goals in three games against the Isles last season, and has a career 15 points (5G, 10A) in 22 games against the Islanders.

- Andrei Svechnikov returned to the lineup after missing the first eight games of the season. The Russian winger had a season-ending lower-body injury had underwent surgery in March. In the three games of his return this season, Svechnikov recorded an assist and took three shots over that span. He had 55 points (23G, 32A) through 64 games last season with the Hurricanes.
Good luck to your Dad and Wife. I am also dealing with cancer myself and I know what impact it has on everyone close to the people who have been unfortunate to receive that diagnosis. My wife (a 20 year cancer survivor) has been a rock in supporting me so I wish you luck and strength as well. Go Isles!

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

View attachment 762749

View attachment 762751

View attachment 762752

View attachment 762753

Best wishes to them and you

Reactions: xECK29x

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I think people forget sometimes that Romanov is the same age (by a day) as Dobson. As much as we look at this being a test for Bolduc and Aho, it will be interesting to see how Romanov does getting 25 minutes a night while Pelech is out.
Romanov has been able to handle the load

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
btw, Pelech is probably just missing a week or two. Disaster avoided but more Bolduc opportunities. We need him to be good today, because the Canes absolutely abused him last April.

Did they say this somewhere?

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
They’re great. Let’s tweak this or that.

They suck. Sell off some pieces of value and why didn’t we reload at last year’s TDL?

Which faction will win out in the post game chat? :popcorn:

Reactions: Throttle

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Canes have had our number for a few years now. Would be nice to beat these guys.

Just win!!!

@xECK29x stay strong!! I’m sorry to hear that! I’ll be think of you and your family

Reactions: xECK29x

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad