GDT: GDT #10 Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders | Hockey Fights Cancer Night | November 4th | 7:30 PM | F/4-3 OTL

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
They shoot everything, we saw it in playoffs last year.

Probably why they have struggled to get to the SCF...that idea does not work as well if you face a hot goalie or a team who is real good at shutting off the front of the net

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The problem is not the roster. This roster has as good a chance as any to compete for the Cup. The problem with this team is the game plan and this problem harks all the way back to the year Trotz joined this club 5 years ago. The problem is this team plays too a risk adverse game plan that it relies on zone defense to finish out a game when they have the lead and at least under Trotz relied too much on the opponents to make a mistake on the Isles forecheck to generate offense even when they are down only one or two goals late in the game. That risk adverse nature of the game cost this team the ability to generate goals when it needs to and to defend properly when they just have to protect the lead.
The problem IS the roster. We don't have the horses to play the style you want them to play.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
The problem IS the roster. We don't have the horses to play the style you want them to play.
If this was true the team shouldn't be able to play both defense and offense as well as it often does for the first two periods to take such leads in the first place. The problem is their approach in the 3rd period once they have established the lead.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If this was true the team shouldn't be able to play both defense and offense as well as it often does for the first two periods to take such leads in the first place. The problem is their approach in the 3rd period once they have established the lead.
They don’t play defense and offense as well as you think at any point of a game. This is still a low scoring team, that gives up a lot of 1st period chances.

Here are the 2 reasons why the Isles are in every game:
IMG_5512.jpeg

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Wow, a tale of two games.

So promising the first 30 minutes.

There have been several 3rd period breakdowns this season where 2-goal leads are given up. We've lost all three OT games and pinch me if I'm seeing this incorrectly., but our own zone coverage in OT has been severely lacking. I mean, just plain weak-ass reads in man coverage.

I'm watching this OT and thinking, "Palms, everyone in the rink can see you shouldn't be orientating yourself in that direction. You'll leave the other guy open... Oops,yep, that guy. It's over."

But it's the Canes. These guys just seem to own us. If they don't beat us on their own, we're there to help them. Had you told me before the game that we'll get a point, I'd have been happy.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
For a period-plus they gave up a ton of shot attempts that were almost entirely harmless. Which is pretty much the cost of doing business when playing Carolina. They repulsed those attempts, attacked the Canes and took a 3-goal lead.

Then they gave up a ton of shot attempts that were not harmless, instead a barrage of prime scoring chances. And they tried doing that for half the game until it was tied. The contrast was clear as day.
You keep looking at it from the defensive side, but from the offensive side we were stifled again. When you score on those few little attempts you get, you are lucky to have the lead. It's not like the offense was threatening the half of the game you think we outplayed them. There was never a point where we were going to coast to a win. It was barrage after barrage and mice against men the whole game. The scoreboard is the least accurate representation of the outcome, but oddly the only one that matters. I consider this one point a gift.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
They don’t play defense and offense as well as you think at any point of a game. This is still a low scoring team, that gives up a lot of 1st period chances.

Here are the 2 reasons why the Isles are in every game:View attachment 763571

I feel like it is generally unfair to take the teams strength and say "well if they did not have this they would suck." I understand your point but the Isles have also locked up a ton of cap into both of these players for the foreseeable future. They are a part of the team just as much as anyone else.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
You keep looking at it from the defensive side, but from the offensive side we were stifled again. When you score on those few little attempts you get, you are lucky to have the lead. It's not like the offense was threatening the half of the game you think we outplayed them. There was never a point where we were going to coast to a win. It was barrage after barrage and mice against men the whole game. The scoreboard is the least accurate representation of the outcome, but oddly the only one that matters. I consider this one point a gift.
Sorry...I don't know how anyone watches that first period and comes away thinking the Isles were "stifled." Or that Carolina was hitting them with a barrage.

And they were lucky to score goals...on chances they generated? What does that even mean?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I feel like it is generally unfair to take the teams strength and say "well if they did not have this they would suck." I understand your point but the Isles have also locked up a ton of cap into both of these players for the foreseeable future. They are a part of the team just as much as anyone else.
I'm still trying to figure out how it is that Varlamov's contract is bad and we also rely on him too much. :huh:

And then, yeah, there's the whole "our team was intentionally built from the goal out and if it wasn't for our goalies, who are on our team, our team would stink". :rolleyes:

At least we can all agree the coach has to go (if we're starting a pool, I've got Sunday Nov 19th).

Reactions: CupHolders

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Sorry...I don't know how anyone watches that first period and comes away thinking the Isles were "stifled." Or that Carolina was hitting them with a barrage.

And they were lucky to score goals...on chances they generated? What does that even mean?
Means that through a course of a game, teams score on some of their attempts on net, many of them they don't. The more attempts you get, the more chances to score. It's not often a team scores on a high percentage of attempts they get. Isles managed to do that. They didn't get many attempts to score, but were fortunate enough to score on the attempts they did get. I don't know how anybody watches hockey and doesn't know this.

How many times have you watched an Isles game and thought, "Damn, the opponent scores on every single mistake we make, even though we are controlling play". Guarantee you that was every Cane's fan yesterday watching.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
First period I remember a wonderful shift by Aho and Holmstrom. As well as consistent zone time and chances by Barzal and the rest of his line.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Means that through a course of a game, teams score on some of their attempts on net, many of them they don't. The more attempts you get, the more chances to score. It's not often a team scores on a high percentage of attempts they get. Isles managed to do that. They didn't get many attempts to score, but were fortunate enough to score on the attempts they did get. I don't know how anybody watches hockey and doesn't know this.

How many times have you watched an Isles game and thought, "Damn, the opponent scores on every single mistake we make, even though we are controlling play". Guarantee you that was every Cane's fan yesterday watching.
If you want to give extra credit to a team that threw harmless, low-percentage shots at the net in the name of "chances," and scoff at a team as simply "lucky" that they happened to generate high-quality chances and score on them, then knock yourself out. I don't think many people agree with your assessment on the first half of this game.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
The jury is still out on that notion for me. But if the Isles are to make a change, who is even out there as a potential target?
I truly want ito feel the same way but not sure i can.

When Lou wanted a new voice, i was okay with that and thought well, Lambert is kinda in demand , tutored by Trotz, should be a good go.

Now, i feel the voice was not new enough and that the players need some one they do not know as they just seem too comfortable.

Oh,....and do not have a suggestion for coach, just really feels it needs to be done. I do not think this set of players is as bad as so many here make them out to be.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
For a period-plus they gave up a ton of shot attempts that were almost entirely harmless. Which is pretty much the cost of doing business when playing Carolina. They repulsed those attempts, attacked the Canes and took a 3-goal lead.

Then they gave up a ton of shot attempts that were not harmless, instead a barrage of prime scoring chances. And they tried doing that for half the game until it was tied. The contrast was clear as day.
To quote Wayne Gretzky " You don't score on 100% of the shots you never take" or something like that. In my view volume shooting and especially in excess of 100 attempts has an accumulative effect not only on goaltenders (Exhaustion) but on the entire team. One this means possession, two this also means you are chasing the game and third anything heading towards the net has potential, nothing can be viewed as a simple save , when players are battling for position . A deflection a screen or a rebound a rut in the ice. Hence the term you've heard million time from coaches (pucks to the net) .

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
To quote Wayne Gretzky " You don't score on 100% of the shots you never take" or something like that. In my view volume shooting and especially in excess of 100 attempts has an accumulative effect not only on goaltenders (Exhaustion) but on the entire team. One this means possession, two this also means you are chasing the game and third anything heading towards the net has potential, nothing can be viewed as a simple save , when players are battling for position . A deflection a screen or a rebound a rut in the ice. Hence the term you've heard million time from coaches (pucks to the net) .
The Canes get a high number of pucks on net from anywhere on the ice because that has been their game plan against every team. Against the Isles that number is even higher because especially in the third period they turtle and simply play only zone defense and rarely if ever launch a counter attack. With so many Canes players chipping in there is no excuse for the Islanders not to have any odd man rushes the other way. This is on the coach who must be telling them to focus only on defense and protect the lead collapsing around our goaltenders. Going the other way even with numbers would seem too risky for Lambert so it ends up being a shooting gallery against our goaltenders.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad