Garth Snow Pt. III - Snow’s inactivity

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
I'm pretty sure he has expanded the scouting department. He seems to be investing beyond just the salary cap.

Perhaps
But do they employ a scout in Europe? And Eric Boulton being a pro scout isn’t exactly encouraging, he’s qualified cause he’s Garth’s buddy?
Wish this organization were a little more transparent and we had an idea what was going on behind the curtain. How many years and how much money is the wizard getting? Weight and the staff? Hire a president separate from the GM.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Perhaps
But do they employ a scout in Europe? And Eric Boulton being a pro scout isn’t exactly encouraging, he’s qualified cause he’s Garth’s buddy?
Wish this organization were a little more transparent and we had an idea what was going on behind the curtain. How many years and how much money is the wizard getting? Weight and the staff? Hire a president separate from the GM.

That I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it was reported they expanded the scouting department. Even if it was Boulton, they're still willing to spend...they just are spending on the wrong people. It just makes them bad and deciding who to spend on.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Where are all of the people calling others "chicken littles"? Two years in a row of missing the playoffs=not a playoff caliber team. In a league where half of the teams makes the playoffs this is unacceptable after over a decade of being GM. The sky isn't falling folks...but when JT walks this summer it will.

Kauskey

Mar 16, 2007
Garth Snow...cannot draft in the first round...

He can't draft in later rounds either. Look at the teams draft picks after Ryan Jankowski left the team after the 2010 Entry draft. Outside of the first round, the players that have made the NHL (for a period longer than a cup of coffee) are: Quine, Pelech, Mayfield. All fringe/depth guys. Aho might join that list and stick around. That's it.

Maybe I'm wrong to give a lot of the credit to Jankowski, but it's something to think about. He got poached by Montreal and went on to work for Hockey Canada for a reason. Garth's draft record outside of the first round has been atrocious the past 7 years.

Reactions: Hunn

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
From the Isles' website:

Head Amateur Scout
Vellu Kautonen
Director of Amateur Scouting
Trent Klatt
Pro Scout
Eric Boulton
Scout
Mario Saraceno
Scout
Dennis Maxwell
Scout
Jeff Napierala
Scout
Chris O'Sullivan
Scout
Jeremy Bachusz
Scout
Derrick Kemp
Euopean Scout
Matti Kautto
Scout
Vladimir Malakhov
Scout
Juha Riihijarvi
Scout
Joe Clark
Scout
Greg Morrow
Scout
Marek Hascak
Scout
Matt Harlow
Scout
Paul Carlow

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
He can't draft in later rounds either. Look at the teams draft picks after Ryan Jankowski left the team after the 2010 Entry draft. Outside of the first round, the players that have made the NHL (for a period longer than a cup of coffee) are: Quine, Pelech, Mayfield. All fringe/depth guys. Aho might join that list and stick around. That's it.

Maybe I'm wrong to give a lot of the credit to Jankowski, but it's something to think about. He got poached by Montreal and went on to work for Hockey Canada for a reason. Garth's draft record outside of the first round has been atrocious the past 7 years.
To be fair if Sorokin or Soderstrom come over and become franchise netminder it looks a lot better. There a few college kids too who seem to have upside. I'd venture guess non first rounder record is probably similar to most teams.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017

So true. I wonder where the myth of Snow drafting well outside of the 1st round come from. 3 borderline NHLers since 2010 draft, Hamonic, Martin, Cizikas, and Lee before that. That's all. Plus Cody Rosen.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
From the Isles' website:

Head Amateur Scout
Vellu Kautonen
Director of Amateur Scouting
Trent Klatt
Pro Scout
Eric Boulton
Scout
Mario Saraceno
Scout
Dennis Maxwell
Scout
Jeff Napierala
Scout
Chris O'Sullivan
Scout
Jeremy Bachusz
Scout
Derrick Kemp
Euopean Scout
Matti Kautto
Scout
Vladimir Malakhov
Scout
Juha Riihijarvi
Scout
Joe Clark
Scout
Greg Morrow
Scout
Marek Hascak
Scout
Matt Harlow
Scout
Paul Carlow

I can't find what I was looking for regarding the expansion of the scouting department, so it's possible I'm not remembering correctly. If I find it I'll post it, otherwise just disregard my previous comment about it.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
So true. I wonder where the myth of Snow drafting well outside of the 1st round come from. 3 borderline NHLers since 2010 draft, Hamonic, Martin, Cizikas, and Lee before that. That's all. Plus Cody Rosen.

How did that all defenseman draft work out? :thumbd:

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
It gave us Griffin. And Griffin gave us Barzal. When in several years Barzal leaves via FA, it will give us another high pick (because the team will be uncompetitive as usual). That pick in due time will leave too, then we get another high pick, etc, ad infinitum. Snow has a plan.

Kauskey

Mar 16, 2007
To be fair if Sorokin or Soderstrom come over and become franchise netminder it looks a lot better. There a few college kids too who seem to have upside. I'd venture guess non first rounder record is probably similar to most teams.

I disagree. While this is true about the goalies, they still haven't played a second for this team. Until they do so, their value to us is nugatory. Those guys went in the later rounds because teams were uncertain if they would cross over to the NHL (like Petrov).
For 7 years Snow's drafting outside of the first round has produced zero impact players.

The draft is, and always will be, a crapshoot, but Garth's had some historically bad drafts in the past few years. The 2017 and 2016 draft is too soon to tell for some of the players, but just 2011-2015 was brutal. It doesn't help that the draft is the best way for this team to acquire talent as we're not a free agent destination.

There were a few players drafted late that had success at the NHL level with other clubs. Anders Nilsson managed to stick around the NHL as a back-up. Donovan sucks but at least he played ~70 NHL games. Poulin didn't work out, but he hung around the team for years and played some games. Also Jared Spurgeon (I forgot we drafted him) has a nice career... too bad we didn't sign him. Coincidentally, these players were all picked from 2008-2010 too.

That draft reeked of desperation. Pokka was a decent prospect that busted and we used him to acquire Leddy. Reinhart was used to acquire Barzal, but we traded him only because he couldn't play. Out of the seven defensemen we drafted the only one who stuck was....Pelech. Yuk.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I can't find what I was looking for regarding the expansion of the scouting department, so it's possible I'm not remembering correctly. If I find it I'll post it, otherwise just disregard my previous comment about it.
The list I posted includes the expanded scouting staff. Snow commented briefly in one of Staple's pieces:

"Snow: I think over the course of the last few seasons we’ve doubled our scouting staff. We’ve added Chris Lamoriello (assistant GM) from Jersey, Claude Loiselle (hockey operations consultant) from several stops he’s had and then several additions to the scouting staff. I don’t know where that comes from. Eric Cairns is on our development staff but if he goes to see one of our prospects in college or junior, he’s writing reports on other potential prospects. "

Q&A with Garth Snow: State of the Islanders, his approach to...

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The list I posted includes the expanded scouting staff. Snow commented briefly in one of Staple's pieces:

"Snow: I think over the course of the last few seasons we’ve doubled our scouting staff. We’ve added Chris Lamoriello (assistant GM) from Jersey, Claude Loiselle (hockey operations consultant) from several stops he’s had and then several additions to the scouting staff. I don’t know where that comes from. Eric Cairns is on our development staff but if he goes to see one of our prospects in college or junior, he’s writing reports on other potential prospects. "

Q&A with Garth Snow: State of the Islanders, his approach to...

That's part of why I wasn't finding it, I searched for Staple/Ledecky but not Snow.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Snow: "Well, what's your report on that goalie we're interested in - how's he look tonight?"

Scout: "Hold on a minute, I just have to sell this last hot dog and then I can give you my undivided attention."

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
The difference between Malkin Ledecky and the fans who hate losing...is Malkin and Ledecky consider this season a success. They kept wang happy by keeping snow...they need a happy wang because allbthey care about is getting the arena and we all knowna unhappy wang is bad news for anyone withon a mile...so the new arena should happen..the 20% loss in revenue bybkeeping a loser front office around? You make that up when you sell to the next owner. Wang lost a 100 million easy by having losers run the team...he made much of it up by selling part of the teambto malkin and whatever small percentage ledecky owns.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
L& M better get Snow out of here ASAP; the culture he’s established is going to f*** up our next franchise center.

Reactions: 12Dog

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Let us all pray...

I’ve been wondering along these lines the past few weeks. Which is why I was giving the ownership the benefit of the doubt until the end of this year. That would be the second non-playoff team after back-to-back 100 point playoffs since their limited and full involvement as owners.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
half the teams make the playoffs a 100 points is not alot with the free point system when you lose...and the team they beat...the panthers...lets put it this way...oposing GMs...they dont even mention beating the isles in the playoffs on their resumes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad