Garth Snow Pt. III - Snow’s inactivity

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Here’s the problem with sports executives: you either choose from the recycled candidates that play musical chairs every year, or you pick someone who’s unproven. If you pick someone unproven they NEED to have a short leash or you end up with Snow.

That’s why I like the idea of a guy like Lamoriello for president and then him hiring the new GM.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I have said that all year, maybe turning his game down a notch because the though of him leaving a playoff bound team would not sit with Isles fans,now that the Islanders are out of the playoffs and almost at a dead end you are seeing alot of Islander fans almost encouraging Tavares to leave for his sake

and I have said for a long time Tavares had no intention of re-signing here and is just trying to leave on the best terms possible

Get back on those meds Boody-boy.

Reactions: Eberzal

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Evan Roberts just pulled the cruelest of jokes on WFAN. He said to start the most recent segment, "So, The yankees snowed out, the Mets snowed out, the Islander snowed out." And immediately I was like the Isles are playing today? Then, he was like "As in Garth Snow." And I was like Oh my god, I literally ran to my computer, I cant even describe the feeling that went through my body, lol. But before I could even get on the internet, I think he realized what he had said and followed with, "as in their season is snowed out." Then my heart sank. Uggggghhhhhhh

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Evan Roberts just pulled the cruelest of jokes on WFAN. He said to start the most recent segment, "So, The yankees snowed out, the Mets snowed out, the Islander snowed out." And immediately I was like the Isles are playing today? Then, he was like "As in Garth Snow." And I was like Oh my god, I literally ran to my computer, I cant even describe the feeling that went through my body, lol. But before I could even get on the internet, I think he realized what he had said and followed with, "as in their season is snowed out." Then my heart sank. Uggggghhhhhhh

I heard while I was out for lunch. I'm getting too old for stuff like that. The swing of emotions nearly did me in.

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
Please just read this quote. This tells us all we have to know about how Snow runs this franchise. Damn shame.
It's from Staple's recent Athletic article.

After 668 games and 620 points, Tavares has been the face of the Islanders ever since he arrived as the sure-fire first pick in 2009. Yes, a few members of the Isles' scouting staff wanted Matt Duchene, but Snow never wavered and all those employees who pushed for Duchene are now former employees. Just to set that record straight.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Please just read this quote. This tells us all we have to know about how Snow runs this franchise. Damn shame.

I'll say that if they wanted to trade Barzal for Duchene, then Snow was right. Not sure about firing them for wanting Duchene (I'd still want him).

Edit: I now see it's in reference to drafting Tavares over Duchene.

Last edited:

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Snow should get rid of the person who decided Greiss would be great as a number one goalie next. Hint, hint, Garth...

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I know what you are getting at (ie: refusing to listen to others, getting rid of dissenting opinions) but in fairness I wouldn't want anyone dumb enough to have suggested taking Duchene over JT anywhere near my organization.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Snows Style of control freakness is out 9f Wangs book. Which is how many dictatorships work. For instance, Duschane. Are the guys that wanted Duschane gone because they are clueless? And snow only wants smat hockey minds? NOOO. They are gone because the knew Snow wanted JT and they voiced their own opinion. Snow does not want people with oposing opinions. Would Trump keep employees with different opinion? Putin? The nortb korea or China leader? all these people follow the same script to POWER. Get rid of the media..control the media...acuse the media of beung fake...and eliminate anyone who doesnt agree with everything you say. Going back to Duschane the word was at the time he could be like a Pat Lafontaine..JT was bad skater might not translate as well into the NHL. Hedman was said to have a dennis Potvin upside. I think Hedman would of been a good choice but he would of left years ago. Isles got lucky to get a all star player who hates media, loves suburbs... enjoys long summer breaks and has that loyalty defect that wang and ledecky have. They all deserve each other.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I know what you are getting at (ie: refusing to listen to others, getting rid of dissenting opinions) but in fairness I wouldn't want anyone dumb enough to have suggested taking Duchene over JT anywhere near my organization.
Playing NJ advocate here-with the number of prospects we have with skating issues, maybe our scouts would have drafted better than Snow. JT worked out because he is JT.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Snow and Wang flew to Toronto, took an Uber (likely a Taxi) to Brampton Ontario (a sewer-like part of southern Ontario - no offense to the lovely people who are from there) to watch Duchene play. I have no doubt he had fans, no way an OWNER would fly there to watch a game, no way.

With that said, that was 10 years ago. Holy hell, how does that come up in a conversation today is shameful to both interviewer and interviewee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad