Garth Snow Pt. III - Snow’s inactivity

bronxirish

Oct 24, 2013
Anytime I put any thought in his inability to make a move for this team my head practically explodes. It’s not the first time there seems to be an abyss where a capable GM should reside. In fact it’s generally been the rule for his tenure. I thought this year would be different. He would have to take a calculated risk to improve the team considering his job “should” be on the line. So why hasn’t he? Has he been given assurances that he can keep his job if they miss the playoffs AGAIN? Is he simply incapable? Is he simply lazy?

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
For where the Islanders were 10 years ago in need of a total tear down, restocking of the farm system and rebuilding of the team he was a questionable choice who did a dexent job. We now have a "competitive" team with a highly touted farm system.

However, he is too cautious and unless that changes he'll never be able to get the team to make that next jump from "competitive" to competitive. To that end, it's time to part ways.

Has he made mistakes? Plenty, so has every other GM.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wang gave him a 20 year extension before he sold the team. Snow can sit back and collect a check and if he gets fired he will still get paid.

I wonder what he would do if his contract was up after this year?

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Not sure why anyone in surprised. He is the second worst GM in the league. The only reason the Isles a semi-decent is bc the NHL's worst GM traded us our entire 2nd line and #2 D for pretty much nothing.

Truly believe that JT likes him and that is the only reason he is still here. JT leaves; Snow is fired.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Nothing new here. This is what Snow has been doing for most of his tenure: nothing. How many times have we seen it before? Team is struggling, obvious holes in the line up, injuries mounting - Snow does nothing again and again.

The only thing he'll do is deal a conditional 3rd at the deadline for a nondescript 3rd line UFA to be.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Nothing new here. This is what Snow has been doing for most of his tenure: nothing. How many times have we seen it before? Team is struggling, obvious holes in the line up, injuries mounting - Snow does nothing again and again.

The only thing he'll do is deal a conditional 3rd at the deadline for a nondescript 3rd line UFA to be.

He should at least make that deal now to get Quine or Prince away from the team

Reactions: IODCPiper

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Not claiming Jokinen when we throw Fritz and Quine out every night is unacceptable. He is a horrible GM with the biggest ego in the league.

Reactions: NYI JT91

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
It is just weird that blame goes to guys like Prince, Quine, Fritz.. etc.. they are bottom 6 guys that cause no harm... we have a very high scoring top 6, if Beau was on that line all year, we might have 6 guys in the top 30 in scoring.... The issue is a system that relies on pinching in, which helps get us goals and contributes to goals allowed.

Jokinen is worse than Chimera at this point, I watched him this year and he is slow, and can't even control the puck.... age caught up to him, he is a Seidenberg forward.

If a guy gets waived in this league that means beyond awful, that is like a car going to the junkyard that is totaled it won't run again, it isn't a Hickey/Moulson that can be tinkered with and you can get 20K mileage over 2-3 years.

our bottom 6 will be strong when Cizikas and Ladd return

Johnston/Nelson/either quine or Fritz... you can give an extra shift to Lee, Ladd or Beau on LW at times
Ladd/Cizikas/Clutter

That is an NHL bottom 6, either Fritz or Quine will step into that role... Fritz was very beastly against Chicago, blocking shots, dumping the puck in, and Quine is serviceable, and you only need one of them in this configuration. I say no to Prince because he is injury prone, the worst injury prone player I have seen and no to Chimera, lost a step and that is enough to put him in the junkyard with Jokinen, Franzen and all other waiver dudes

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Not claiming Jokinen when we throw Fritz and Quine out every night is unacceptable. He is a horrible GM with the biggest ego in the league.

Man I wish I could "unlike" this post.... watch some footage of games of Jokinen this year, he was on Strome's line (strome beat him up the year before) and made Strome look like Grabner got traded and was even worse.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Man I wish I could "unlike" this post.... watch some footage of games of Jokinen this year, he was on Strome's line (strome beat him up the year before) and made Strome look like Grabner got traded and was even worse.
I wish I could unlike all of your posts, yet here we are.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I wish I could unlike all of your posts, yet here we are.

I was only speaking of that post, if Snow grabs a very poor Jokinen and he stinks up the joint and then grabs no one else, makes no trades, then he is a dumpster diver... he is not a great GM but what is signing Jokinen have to do with Snow's ego.

Sorry if I offended you but you have been pretty harsh on these boards, and you call me out for things that have actually worked out...

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I was only speaking of that post, if Snow grabs a very poor Jokinen and he stinks up the joint and then grabs no one else, makes no trades, then he is a dumpster diver... he is not a great GM but what is signing Jokinen have to do with Snow's ego.

Sorry if I offended you but you have been pretty harsh on these boards, and you call me out for things that have actually worked out...
CBJ, who currently has a better bottom 6 than us, claimed Jokinen. And I trust their evaluation of talent way more than Garth Snow and co. We have a bottom 6 filled with AHL players and Snow had an opportunity to fill one of those spots with a proven NHL player. Even if he has fallen off, I'd rather have him out there as an injury stop gap than an AHL plug. When our injured players return he can be waived or pushed to the press box. Sorry if I don’t believe in your talent evaluations when you go around calling Alan Quine Frans Nielsen or Josh Bailey.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
CBJ, who currently has a better bottom 6 than us, claimed Jokinen. And I trust their evaluation of talent way more than Garth Snow and co. We have a bottom 6 filled with AHL players and Snow had an opportunity to fill one of those spots with a proven NHL player. Even if he has fallen off, I'd rather have him out there as an injury stop gap than an AHL plug. When our injured players return he can be waived or pushed to the press box. Sorry if I don’t believe in your talent evaluations when you go around calling Alan Quine Frans Nielsen or Josh Bailey.

I only said that Alan Quine could be "developed" into a Frans Nielsen type center over a number of years and that Quine was a bad version of Bailey, in that his tool box is a passing forward, unlike other wings that might hold the puck and keep it out of JT's hands, I never said he was on their level ever, I just have lived long enough to know that hockey players develop at different rates.

As for Jokinen... I believe Snow and staff are very good at evaluating talent, he has picked up some good dumpster dives over the years, was able to get evaluate that Reinhart stunk and we got 2 studs back for him... I mean Snow is bad at making trades and signing UFA"s and he is bad at giving long contracts to the wrong people.. but talent evaluation is not his chief problem at all.

Sorry if I offended before we are all Islander fans, and we all have our frustrations

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Four of the top 6 teams on that chart have never won a cup since I have been on earth (Arizona, CBJ, Florida and Toronto)

Four of the bottom 7 have won cups and multiple in some cases (LA, Detroit, NJ and Dallas)

Because the trade deadline is overrated.

You need to do your building in the offseason, and really only want to tweak your lineup in season (e.g. PIT acquiring Kessel on July 1, but in-season just swapping Perron for Hagelin, and adding Schultz on the cheap).

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Plus, I hate Garth, but no sane GM is giving up big time assets while their franchise player is not even under contract past the current year UNLESS they are getting someone who can help now and in the future.

There are no defensemen on long term contracts available, and the only one moved was Vatanen, whom if your Anaheim, Henrique is a much more desirable forward than Nelson (OEL and Hjalmarsson are not available).

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
That chart only shows the volume of trades, not the quality. It also doesn't make a distinction between buyers and sellers.

I know, still feel that it’s overrated. If you’re waiting till then to add a significant piece to your lineup, you’ve waited too long in my opinion.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I'm fine with it. You all panic a lot and salivate over names. If you all had your way, barzal would be killing it in Colorado as we speak.

He makes moves when they make sense and not for the sake of making a move.

A move that makes sense is bringing in a depth dman so a guy like Aho stays in the AHL.

Snow has sat on his hands for most of the last decade. We can debate individual moves all day but Snow is a proven failure and has proven it takes him years to address giant roster holes

Reactions: bronxirish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad