Garth Snow Pt. III - Snow’s inactivity

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
There are plenty of GM candidates out there. Heck Capuano has 6-7 years experience (do not hire Capuano).

Keeping Snow around after the billboard is a big screw you to the small fanbase that still is around. If this team limps into Belmont L&M should be prepared for 30 nights of 10k in the stands with 4-5k of them being freebies.

Reactions: periferal

Seebreez53

Mar 9, 2018
There are plenty of GM candidates out there. Heck Capuano has 6-7 years experience (do not hire Capuano).

Keeping Snow around after the billboard is a big screw you to the small fanbase that still is around. If this team limps into Belmont L&M should be prepared for 30 nights of 10k in the stands with 4-5k of them being freebies.

If your boss handed you a gold bar and you told him later that you lost it for nothing, how long do you have your job? It’s criminal the position Snow left this team in. Johnny boy ain’t resigning with these morons. And even if he did, he’s not worth 14-15 million a year for eight years. It would have to be on better terms.....and that also isn’t happening.
So, we’re left with nothing, zilch, nada, bupkis other then a draft pic. How Snow still draws a paycheck is infuriating. I mean wasn’t it enough with Nino, the three headed goal tender monster, the poor drafts, the overinflated contracts, the refusal to help the D after two go down, the Brockathon of ineptitude, the Quine, Prince, Fritz fiasco and making teaching lessons in mind manipulation with Ho Sang a major criteria?
Last time I checked, winning was the name of the game and there was a lot more of it with Ho Sang. I really think Snow is incapable of realizing his shortcomings that are crippling this organization. And losing Taveras for nothing crosses the line of ineptitude!

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
Even if JT re-signs Garth should have been fired long ago. This is on the owners which I stated last summer. The fact that Garth continued to show his incompetence isn't so much his fault. He is what he is. The owners are allowing him to be GM. Period.

Reactions: 12Dog

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
really JT signing is useless at this point they are a very bad team despite excellent health this year. If you compare their health to other teams they were very healthy. let JT leave dump snow and cut the payroll by 4 million use that 4 million for A GM and coach who dont work for 30 cents on the dollar.

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
Per James Gordon's The Athletic article in regards from nhl teams performing at the draft (they are ranked 25, by the way):

I struggled with whether or not to move the Isles up from this spot due to Barzal's emergence this season, but their sheer inability to draft NHL quality players is really startling. They've gotten the lowest average GP (Games Played) per pick, and, had they not found Barzal at 16, they'd be dead last in this ranking.
Want to know why they've never been able to build around a franchise player in John Tavares, who might walk as a UFA in the summer? This is a big one.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Per James Gordon's The Athletic article in regards from nhl teams performing at the draft (they are ranked 25, by the way):

We need to calm down and step back from the ledge.

The Islanders lead the league over the past 12 years in man games lost due to injuries on their scouting team. :sarcasm:

It's not Snow's fault his scouts got injured...

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
We need to calm down and step back from the ledge.

The Islanders lead the league over the past 12 years in man games lost due to injuries on their scouting team. :sarcasm:

It's not Snow's fault his scouts got injured...

And yet he didn’t make a deadline deal to bring in help? Astounding

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
If snow had been here for the dynasty years we woukdnt have any cups and wouldbbe the worst franchise in the history of pro sports

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Anybody have a list of prospective candidates to replace Snow and Weight?
Would ownership hire a president first then let him hire the GM?
Or continue with the pay one for 2 jobs approach?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Anybody have a list of prospective candidates to replace Snow and Weight?
Would ownership hire a president first then let him hire the GM?
Or continue with the pay one for 2 jobs approach?
A few names that come off the top of my head:
Dean Lombardi
Paul Fenton
Tom Fitzgerald
Lou Lamoriello

Fenton (Preds AGM) and Fitzie (Devils AGM) both withdrew their names from the Carolina Hurricanes GM search. Lamoriello's contract with Toronto expires at the end of this season.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
from what i read about Brisson... i think there is no way in hell he advises JT to stay ...jt will go to a better org... ship has sailed .....

Brisson's job is a happy client. If Tavares wants to remain and Islander, I doubt Brisson will stand in his way.

Fun fact: Brisson also represents Barzal.

You mean all the things I read on HF aren't true? :) Let's hope Ledecky is getting Brisson comfortable with the idea of Tavares signing and the Isles bringing in a new GM/coach after the season.

As an agent (who represents not only Tavares, but Auston Matthews who's up for a monster deal soon), he'll want to ensure players he represents get the most money they can - just good for business. Tavares is a market-maker in this instance, his UFA status and salary will mean higher-highs for elite players (until Karlsson and Doughty next year).

Brisson did well with Kane/Toews contracts to stay in CHI

I'm not concerned with Brisson, my worry is always Garth.
He's incapable.
He will make the wrong choice between Scarlett Johansson and Gal Gadot - somehow end up eating a bucket of KFC with Kevin Connolly and Wang Jr.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
That's actually a pretty damning stat, especially since the one defense of Snow still being brought up is his drafting. Maybe that will finally put to rest the idea Snow drafts well.

Not trying to defend Snow, as I want him gone either way, but as far as I can tell, they're only looking at a 5 year span of 2011-2015, which is a little recent to be judging based primarily off of games played per pick. By this methodology, Quine is a MUCH better draft pick than Sorokin, Ho-Sang and Toews combined, which is a weird methodology at this point in time. But either way, I think most fans would agree that 2011-2014 were the worst drafts of Snow's tenure, which isn't the fairest way to judge a GM as a whole at the draft.

It's worth pointing out that this was also around the time that the Islanders shrunk its scouting department (and it wasn't huge to begin with), which I imagine had a lot more to do with Wang's wallet than it had to do with Snow's preference. I do think Snow's drafting was better before that, but more importantly, I don't think this is something that will change with Snow's dismissal unless the owners understand that they need to have a competitive budget for the scouting department for the drafting to be competitive.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I would disagree that the draftig is hopeless with a new GM and no budget for scouts. While a owner should invest in scouts, or simply not buy a team, one could draft from the hockey news with a 3 dollar budget and do better than snow.

Reactions: Instant

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Brisson's job is a happy client. If Tavares wants to remain and Islander, I doubt Brisson will stand in his way.

Fun fact: Brisson also represents Barzal.

As an agent (who represents not only Tavares, but Auston Matthews who's up for a monster deal soon), he'll want to ensure players he represents get the most money they can - just good for business. Tavares is a market-maker in this instance, his UFA status and salary will mean higher-highs for elite players (until Karlsson and Doughty next year).

Brisson did well with Kane/Toews contracts to stay in CHI

I'm not concerned with Brisson, my worry is always Garth.
He's incapable.
He will make the wrong choice between Scarlett Johansson and Gal Gadot - somehow end up eating a bucket of KFC with Kevin Connolly and Wang Jr.

Let's hope Garth isn't making this decision. I also thought I read it was Ledecky who was speaking with Brisson. Is it possible that Garth is out at the end of the year and Ledecky wants to be hands on with Brisson? Why else would Ledecky be speaking with Brisson so often and not let Garth handle everything.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I would disagree that the draftig is hopeless with a new GM and no budget for scouts. While a owner should invest in scouts, or simply not buy a team, one could draft from the hockey news with a 3 dollar budget and do better than snow.

Except, Snow's draft picks over that time period, at least in the first round, have been very much in line with the published draft rankings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->