Garth Snow Pt. III - Snow’s inactivity

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
My question would be, why wait? Fire these clowns now. Give some hope to the few remaining fans.

I disagree, I want this whole season to be on them. I do not want to see another interim coach come in to spark the team to a meaningless over .500 record and 3 or so points out of the playoffs. Some people earn their success others earn their failures. Weight and Snow deserve to go completely to the bottom on this.

I totally get where you are coming from, with wanting an indication now. But honestly, would any of us really care about an extra couple of weeks... as long as it truly happens?

EDIT: Although one solution would be for ownership to announce something now to the effect of... that they will FULLY review all aspects of management and make appropriate changes. (i.e... Snow and Weight goin' get wrekt!!!)

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I disagree, I want this whole season to be on them. I do not want to see another interim coach come in to spark the team to a meaningless over .500 record and 3 or so points out of the playoffs. Some people earn their success others earn their failures. Weight and Snow deserve to go completely to the bottom on this.

I totally get where you are coming from, with wanting an indication now. But honestly, would any of us really care about an extra couple of weeks... as long as it truly happens?

EDIT: Although one solution would be for ownership to announce something now to the effect of... that they will FULLY review all aspects of management and make appropriate changes. (i.e... Snow and Weight goin' get wrekt!!!)

When you have a tumor you get it out ASAP. This season is beyond lost and with this defense, goaltending, and coaching staff if they went .500 the rest of the way it would be amazing.

Let's give the fans hope, but more importantly get moving on finding a replacement GM so they can work on the JT contract, get ready for the draft, and everything else.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
When you have a tumor you get it out ASAP. This season is beyond lost and with this defense, goaltending, and coaching staff if they went .500 the rest of the way it would be amazing.

Let's give the fans hope, but more importantly get moving on finding a replacement GM so they can work on the JT contract, get ready for the draft, and everything else.

“It’s not ah toomah!”
- Garth Snow in full Schwarzenegger.​

Honestly I’m not going to debate the merits of firing someone three weeks sooner that I hoped was already gone. I mean sure, fire them now and bring in some interims for the three weeks...

I’m not sure how these things work but I’d imagine that candidates currently employed by other teams will have some restrictions in place until the end of the season. Although what is deemed end of the season (regular or in the summer) not sure.

Personally, I’d hope and imagine some of those conversations on next steps have already taken place. List of canidates is being created, maybe already acted on.

But to play off your Tumor analogy... you would still go through a battery of tests and consultations before just hacking away... Unfortunately, a family friend just underwent Surgery this week for something found a month ago.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
When does Ledecky show he cares about the team and not just a real state deal

The NHL screwed us again approving another set of deadbeat owners

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Consider the possibility that out of loyalty to the previous owner, ledecky will keep the front office hired by the minority owner back before the 1st i phone invention. Strong chance that the reason snowbos here with no changes to the front office is loyalty to wang for selling him the team. If ledecky thinks he can make 200 million profit when he sells thanks to wang selling him the team well that can certainly make someone loyal to wang. Now some posters will get all worked up when i propose this possibility. But since ledecky has nothing to say..if any posters think ledecky keeps snow for snows hockey brilliance...please explain that thought process. Any objective follower is able to see this ledecky snow wang relationship for what it is. I dont think any poster feels snow is here because ledecky thinks he is good at his job.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The thing is, even if there was some sort of handshake deal necessary to get the sale done and keep Wang's buddies around in Snow, Weight, etc.; there is absolutely no reason not to bring in a team President to oversee everything of consequence.

Snow can review specs for the practice and medical facilities and go dumpster diving for players to stock Bridgeport with, select off waivers, while making the occasional pick in the sixth or seventh round for overage players like Alan Quine.

Weight can hang out with the players as Assistant GM to boost morale, go check in with the minor league teams and scout juniors.

But you hire a true team President to run the draft, make trades, sign free agents and negotiate NHL-level player contracts. That President also picks the coaches.

Everyone wins in that scenario. Of course in an ideal world you bring in that strong team President and start fresh, however, at this point just one positive step would be welcome.

Kauskey

Mar 16, 2007
When does Ledecky show he cares about the team and not just a real state deal

The NHL screwed us again approving another set of deadbeat owners

Probably when we start playing games in Belmont. When the new owners took over, I fully expected Snow to be fired. Most owners like to pick their own guys, and it would have been and excellent opportunity to gracefully dismiss Snow (and if you think about it, his career prospects for the future would be much improved if he was fired after those back to back playoff appearances...now I don't think he'll ever be a GM again.) When they didn't fire him, I took it to mean that they were happy with the direction of the team at the time, or at the very least they were being patient. Now, I think Garth's a lame duck to hold us over. It could mean for a painful few more seasons of hockey.

We'll know for sure this summer. If Tavares signs elsewhere, Snow should be fired in the same minute. We should get the news alerts simultaneously. If he isn't, we'll know for absolutely certain the owners aren't concerned with hockey side of the business for the time being - if ever.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
the Hurricanes' missteps in moving Ron Francis aside as GM and starting a hurried search in the past week that had to be halted in recent days for lack of candidates have certainly been noticed by the Isles owners.

Remember when so many said that there was no reason not to fire Snow during the season?

Malkin and Ledecky hired Weight and kept Snow after last season's playoff miss in part because both men are tight with Tavares.

Remember when many said that Tavares' relationship with Snow wasn't the reason he was still around?

League sources told The Athletic that Malkin has made regular visits to Brisson's office in Los Angeles since last season, up to just a few weeks ago

But this has been ownership's main focus outside of the arena since last season and the GM has had very little to do with the process of convincing Tavares to stay.

Remember when GM's GM and coaches coach or that Snow was definitely the one negotiating the deal?

Last edited:

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Remember when so many said that there was no reason not to fire Snow during the season?

Remember when many said that Tavares' relationship with Snow wasn't the reason he was still around?

Remember when GM's GM and coaches coach or that Snow was definitely the one negotiating the deal?

You mean all the things I read on HF aren't true? :) Let's hope Ledecky is getting Brisson comfortable with the idea of Tavares signing and the Isles bringing in a new GM/coach after the season.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
You mean all the things I read on HF aren't true? :) Let's hope Ledecky is getting Brisson comfortable with the idea of Tavares signing and the Isles bringing in a new GM/coach after the season.

I don't think Brisson is the one that needs to be comfortable with the idea of re-signing. But if it's true then I'm glad the ownership is getting involved.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I don't think Brisson is the one that needs to be comfortable with the idea of re-signing. But if it's true then I'm glad the ownership is getting involved.
from what i read about Brisson... i think there is no way in hell he advises JT to stay ...jt will go to a better org... ship has sailed .....

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
from what i read about Brisson... i think there is no way in hell he advises JT to stay ...jt will go to a better org... ship has sailed .....

Its been known for 2 years that the owners are trying to get JT signed. That doesnt impress me. They just want fans in the building. They obviously dont worry about winnjng. The cats out of the bag. They are not in it to win it. They are in it to flip it. They behave like they bought a family run hotel from an owner who didnt want to sell because he didnt want the staff replaced and they told him no problem we just want to remodel the building increase room rates and flip the building. We wont change the inner workings and traditions involved.

Last edited:

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

What did you read about Brisson?

I too think it's not very likely that Tavares will stay. I mean... I look at this team and can't find a reason for him to stay. If he wants money, there are teams with better cap situation. If he wants to win, there are teams that can give him a much better chance. The only thing I can think of is that he's really, stupidly loyal and wants to bring the Cup to Long Island or retire trying.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I used to think Dipietros loyalty ws fake because he simply knew no other owner would keep him as the starter. Maybe Dipietro did love this loser organization if someone like JT could give his whole career to a micky mouse operation. I guess if JT does return it is because he loves snow and doogie weight. in that case we should all cross our fingers that malkin dorsnt have the cash for a front loaded signing and JT has to walk. cause another season of jt snow and doogie weight...wow talk about nepotism familybrun business run like a fraternity rather than a pro sports franchise. I know little league coaches who have more pressure to win to keep their jobs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The thing is, even if there was some sort of handshake deal necessary to get the sale done and keep Wang's buddies around in Snow, Weight, etc.; there is absolutely no reason not to bring in a team President to oversee everything of consequence.

Snow can review specs for the practice and medical facilities and go dumpster diving for players to stock Bridgeport with, select off waivers, while making the occasional pick in the sixth or seventh round for overage players like Alan Quine.

Weight can hang out with the players as Assistant GM to boost morale, go check in with the minor league teams and scout juniors.

But you hire a true team President to run the draft, make trades, sign free agents and negotiate NHL-level player contracts. That President also picks the coaches.

Everyone wins in that scenario. Of course in an ideal world you bring in that strong team President and start fresh, however, at this point just one positive step would be welcome.

Yeah, I've always wondered what the exact legal wording is on this rumored Snow extension. Does it specifically say he HAS to be kept as GM? Or just that he has to be kept around in the organization, but can be moved to a different role as long as the owners will not cut his salary?

If it's the latter, move him to some obscure position where he doesn't have any absolute power (assistant director of player personnel) and bring in someone to right the ship.

Reactions: periferal

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah, I've always wondered what the exact legal wording is on this rumored Snow extension. Does it specifically say he HAS to be kept as GM? Or just that he has to be kept around in the organization, but can be moved to a different role as long as the owners will not cut his salary?

If it's the latter, move him to some obscure position where he doesn't have any absolute power (assistant director of player personnel) and bring in someone to right the ship.

Or bathroom attendant of the basement bathroom.

Reactions: 12Dog

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

It shouldn't be hard to understand, and it was already reported, that no good candidate would consider the Isles president job as long as snow was employed. There were two main reasons why:

1. A team President in charge of the entire team so he hires/fires the GM. If a President couldn't fire snow and hire who he wanted then he'd have limited control and be undermined - Especially since he'd be coming in from another organization to oversee snow's people...With snow there.
2. Because snow currently holds the title of Isles President, few were willing to discuss the position until he was fired/removed since they wouldn't want the same thing done to them.

snow needs to be fired and physically be removed from the isles organization. Period. No matter about titles or positions...If snow is allowed to be in the Isles building daily, even with another President/GM it'd be like trying to drive your car with the emergency brake on.

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I'd agree with this in theory, but really if snow is going to be fired as GM then he needs to be removed from the building.

Imagine the CEO of your company, the guy you've reported to every day for a decade, now is made an assistant, but still comes in the office each day. Just because titles are changed the fact that he's still there is going to make things very awkward for everyone.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd agree with this in theory, but really if snow is going to be fired as GM then he needs to be removed from the building.

Imagine the CEO of your company, the guy you've reported to every day for a decade, now is made an assistant, but still comes in the office each day. Just because titles are changed the fact that he's still there is going to make things very awkward for everyone.

They can make him the assistant director of scouting in China. Snow retains his salary, but is relocated away from New York.

Win-win for everyone (other than poor Andong Song).

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
They can make him the assistant director of scouting in China. Snow retains his salary, but is relocated away from New York.

Win-win for everyone (other than poor Andong Song).

Best case the isles treat snow like Edward Norton in Fight Club - They basically pay his salary to never come into work. Take a permanent vacation snow.

The thing I just can't let go of is that as along as charles wang is allowed in the building, even though Ledecky/Malkin have final say, I don't trust them to know how to deal with wang. I'll never forget the introductory press conference. Ledecky/Malkin were so awkward that they made wang look like the savviest of the three. It was downright scary to be honest.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
What did you read about Brisson?

I too think it's not very likely that Tavares will stay. I mean... I look at this team and can't find a reason for him to stay. If he wants money, there are teams with better cap situation. If he wants to win, there are teams that can give him a much better chance. The only thing I can think of is that he's really, stupidly loyal and wants to bring the Cup to Long Island or retire trying.
just the players he reps ...sid, toews, kane, kopitar ... obvious winners with legit orgs ...one of the most powerful guys in the agent world ... etc ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad