GDT: Game 71: Predators @ Avalanche - Friday, March 16th, 7PM - Predators and Prey

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Well, no surprises I suppose. I thought they had it in them to get a point or two tonight.

I'm really confused as to why they played varly though

Good goalie against a good team. Also, playing him tonight gives him an extra day of rest(Sat, Sun, Mon vs. today and Sat if he got tonight off) if they play Martin Sunday.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
We fought better than I expected. No offensive production from the bottom 3 lines hurts.

I have no idea if it would of mattered but I'd have liked to see Kamenev in this game. The second and fourth lines were a complete blender. I get Soda's line playing that much, but you have to know that unless you put someone else on it they're not going to score.

I'm mad as f***, but not at the team. The hockey gods kicked us in the junk tonight.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
After these last two Preds games, I'm no longer worried about facing them in the playoffs. Yeah we'll probably lose; but add EJ, Barbie, Kamenev & Wilson to our lineup and we'd have a serious chance to pull an upset that would shock the hockey world. And if we can't pull it off, at least it would be a great series to watch that taught the kids a lot by forcing them to go up against the cup favorites and see what it would take to beat the best.

I'd still prefer Vegas, but I'd be excited for a matchup with the preds. Could be a real "we're coming for you SOON" moment that starts a serious playoff rivalry over the coming years.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Nashville played a system game against the Avs to great success tonight. They trapped them and dared them to dump the puck and retrieve it and the Avs could not do it.

Reactions: McMetal

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What a terrible mindset. No such thing as a "scheduled loss", in my view. Sure there are games where you're not optimistic, but to outright say "well this is a loss" before even playing?

Some of this new age fan base caught that bug. It's just a dumb sentiment. I'm glad the team no longer acts or plays that way.

Reactions: 21 and cgf

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Wasn't too upset with the loss, they played overall pretty well against a top tier club. MacK looked tired and off the whole game, he was uncharacteristically fumbling the puck. It's games like this where they really need a legitimate top quality player to run a second line and provide some secondary scoring, and that weakness really came through tonight IMO. Still, if the powerplay was decent they could have at least taken this to OT. I think they were all just hanging on to the puck a bit too much, and the Preds did a brilliant job of keeping it up high and preventing either Landy or Jost from really getting a touch.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'm sure the Avs consulted Varly before playing him tonight. He's not been overworked this season in terms of total games, and he generally seems to do pretty well when he's facing a lot of rubber and gets into a groove. If he doesn't think he's mentally burnt out I don't have a problem running him. I don't think his chances of injury can really go up - goodness knows he's been injured enough without being overworked. He certainly shouldn't have been sat because of an 'scheduled loss' game.

Reactions: McMetal

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
First loss in a long time where half the board hasn't gone full meltdown mode hahaha

Just had 9 games in a row with at least a point and we were up against the best team in hockey right now, I didn't see the game but it's hard to be upset in those circumstances. Just gotta take care of the Wings on Sunday and it's a successful week.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
First loss in a long time where half the board hasn't gone full meltdown mode hahaha

We've gone like 10 games with at least a point. Can't be mad about losing to one of the best teams in the NHL on the second of a back-to-back.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
There are a lot of salty comments here. Avs lost to the deepest and best team in the NHL, while looking better of the two teams. Yeah losing sucks, but I don't think it is that much of a negative. We still have a game in hand on Minny and Stars I believe.

This is also a thing which will happen.
I put the wrong one because @tigervixxxen had the wrong one in her's. :laugh:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yep, would be silly to expect the Avs to win every game down the stretch.

Losing to the best team in the league on the second night of a b2b is an acceptable loss. We still only need 10 or 11 points in our final 11 games to make the playoffs.

.500 hockey is all we need to do the rest of the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad