GDT: Game 71: Predators @ Avalanche - Friday, March 16th, 7PM - Predators and Prey

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Let's move on from the post/poster in question. It's not relevant to the game (really) and the matter is in the process of being resolved.

Let this also serve as a reminder: I know I tend to let some things go that perhaps other boards wouldn't, but I will NOT tolerate the use of racist language or phrases. I don't give a good god damn if it's "meant as a joke" (and I'm not saying that was used as a reason in this case, I'm just clarifying). I happen to find a lot of things funny, but not that.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
anyone catch the stoned preds fans?

classic tourists cant handle their shit

ScarySnivelingIndigowingedparrot-max-14mb.gif

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Let's move on from the post/poster in question. It's not relevant to the game (really) and the matter is in the process of being resolved.

Let this also serve as a reminder: I know I tend to let some things go that perhaps other boards wouldn't, but I will NOT tolerate the use of racist language or phrases. I don't give a good god damn if it's "meant as a joke" (and I'm not saying that was used as a reason in this case, I'm just clarifying). I happen to find a lot of things funny, but not that.
An honorable stance. Thank you.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Sodaberg would have scored on that shorthanded chance, it would be a different game. Now Preds could just play the result in the third and got good enough goaltending to pull it off.

Can't complain after the win against Blues. Just beat the Red Wings and it's a good week.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs do really need a 3rd goalie. They gonna outwork Varly until he gets hurt again then what? gonna go with Martin? That's a situation where they won't even make the playoffs

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh well. Can't really stop a team when they're playing like that and Colton friggin' Sissons is on his game. At least Craig Smith didn't score a dozen this time around.

MacKinnon, great goal aside, wasn't great tonight. At least a couple really terrible d-zone turnovers. Overall I don't think he was awful, far from it, just not his usual self.

Compher and Jost on the other hand were, IMO, pretty bad. Saros was coughing up rebounds left and right, both were really slow to get to them. Overall they just looked a step slow. Kerfoot, I thought, was really good. A shame they didn't give him a few more shifts down the stretch. I thought he earned it. I thought Sven was decent, even great at times.

In the end, too many mistakes against a team you can't make too many mistakes against, and a power play that fizzled in clutch time. Not really mad about this one though, just sad and a little frustrated because I felt like they really had a shot. And it's a good thing to see the Avs with a legit shot at beating the best team in the NHL on the 2nd of a back-to-back (Nashville was also playing under the same circumstances so that excuse only goes so far). But still, this team even banged-up and not playing their best hockey can keep up with the elite of the league.

So was Siemens benched after that goal against or was he hurt?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Avs do really need a 3rd goalie. They gonna outwork Varly until he gets hurt again then what? gonna go with Martin? That's a situation where they won't even make the playoffs
We have one. He's hurt, too.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh well. Can't really stop a team when they're playing like that and Colton friggin' Sissons is on his game. At least Craig Smith didn't score a dozen this time around.

MacKinnon, great goal aside, wasn't great tonight. At least a couple really terrible d-zone turnovers. Overall I don't think he was awful, far from it, just not his usual self.

Compher and Jost on the other hand were, IMO, pretty bad. Saros was coughing up rebounds left and right, both were really slow to get to them. Overall they just looked a step slow. Kerfoot, I thought, was really good. A shame they didn't give him a few more shifts down the stretch. I thought he earned it. I thought Sven was decent, even great at times.

In the end, too many mistakes against a team you can't make too many mistakes against, and a power play that fizzled in clutch time. Not really mad about this one though, just sad and a little frustrated because I felt like they really had a shot. And it's a good thing to see the Avs with a legit shot at beating the best team in the NHL on the 2nd of a back-to-back (Nashville was also playing under the same circumstances so that excuse only goes so far). But still, this team even banged-up and not playing their best hockey can keep up with the elite of the league.

So was Siemens benched after that goal against or was he hurt?

Our rooks are really fighting it right now. Both Compher and Jost looked better lately, but the B2B just deflated them. Jost did look dangerous on the PP though.

Kamenev's energy could really boost the lower lines, and give the coach some options to sit these guys.

Reactions: Pure and cgf

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I’ll admit I did get kind of frustrated that nobody was going after those prime, grade-A, can’t-miss rebounds that Saros was coughing up regularly.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We have one. He's hurt, too.
Do they trust Hammond though? He hasn't played single game yet for the Avs even though both Varly and Bernier have been injured and he has been called up to be a back up

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Do they trust Hammond though? He hasn't played single game yet for the Avs even though both Varly and Bernier have been injured and he has been called up to be a back up
They obviously don't trust him at all but he's our 3rd goalie regardless. Given the choice they pick him over Martin. There are not many teams in the NHL with a trustworthy 3rd goalie.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Nashville played a system game against the Avs to great success tonight. They trapped them and dared them to dump the puck and retrieve it and the Avs could not do it.

Spot on! Pred's played an aggressive 2 man pressure forecheck down low (spread with each forward cycling back) and had their 3rd man high helping to stuff the NZ with the D. They expertly took away time and space such that every pass the Avs made needed to be perfect and sent/received in flight. Avs D was given no respite to set up and have a controlled break out. Turnover after turnover with counterattacking transition.

I dislike Laviolette but it was a masterful job of coaching and execution. Avs counter played as well as any team could but you could see that they were just a bit off stride and fatigue became a factor.

Nashville goal #3 (Forsberg's) was the result of a turnover in our own zone trying to breakout. I believe Mac 's pocket was picked on this one as well as a couple of others (or he just lost control of the puck....). I would be surprised if Nashville did not have higher time of possession. Especially in the 3rd. Hard to generate offense when you don't have the puck.

O zone face-off losses didn't help either. I think that might prove to be Colorado's achilles heel.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad