Pre-Game Talk: Game 7: last chance for the core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If we lose tomorrow, all options should be on the table. Including trading Matthews
There are players you win with, there are players you don't. At some point, you have to make that call

But lets be honest, losing tomorrow will be the most Leafs thing to do

Really miss the Gilmour and Sundin days where Leafs thing is scoring in OT.
At least we have a Foligno now.

Reactions: fahad203

Papa Cherry

Nov 20, 2011
Lol 'last chance for the core'. We got a rocket Richard winner and a guy that was 4th overall in scoring, and people wanna trade these guys away? They're not even in their prime!

Reactions: Holystik

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I don’t think they’ll change the core if we lose but if they do, do you trust Dubas to make the changes.
If we lose, Dubas needs to go. Even if we don’t lose, I still think he should go. The only way I would begrudgingly have him stay is if we made it at least to the semifinals, and it went 6 or 7 games, even if we lost. In other words, making it to the semifinals, only to be swept or go out in 5 games, would not be enough for him to stay.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
This is gittin real interesting... the protocols themselvs are the true obstacle of him getting back to our game seven no? He has to rest like 5-6 more days and they test him one mo time no. He surely wants to be on the ice again.. like he has been training etc already, being in the crowd, under his eyes we've played. We have the biggest captain in todays game, be very proud y'all :clap: Tavares is a warrior and has proven it right now. So yeah, the speculation goes on: some wonder if the man is already in for this game seven (7) for us. This is so exciting. And he surely wants to be and couuld be be there y'all already know. The proof is there. But maybe they LET HIM IN only for the second round if we succeed and move in. Like he (tavares our captain) might play for game 2 or 3 during the second round..... what a freakin WARRIOR AND CAPTAIN. :leaf: :leafs: :maple leafs: :maple leaf:

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Lol 'last chance for the core'. We got a rocket Richard winner and a guy that was 4th overall in scoring, and people wanna trade these guys away? They're not even in their prime!

They wont' be here for their prime. Their prime will be in between 26-30

Crosby took his team to the finals at age of 22 and won it in the age of 23
Stamkos took his team to the finals at age of 24
Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews at the age of 23 and 24

The problem isn't that they(Matthews and Marner) are not taking their team to the finals, they can't even get it through first round. They dont' produce at the level they are getting paid

Other players got paid after they delivered, after they show cased their success.

Take a look at the playoff numbers by Patrick Kane, Toews, Stamkos, Crosby and now Mackinnon. They were playoff warriors at this age where Marner and Matthews is now

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake

Unfortunately, they are not playoff performers. I could care less what they do during the regular season. It's all about the Cup, not running up meaningless numbers and winning useless trophies. Show me the Cup!

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Alex Ovechkin was drafted in 2004 and won his only cup in 2018. So by my calculations if we’re setting the timeline to the Matthews draft in 2016 that puts Toronto’s Stanley Cup win somewhere around 2030 if all goes according to the script. I don’t think that’s palatable.
Certainly not ideal.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
They wont' be here for their prime. Their prime will be in between 26-30

Crosby took his team to the finals at age of 22 and won it in the age of 23
Stamkos took his team to the finals at age of 24
Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews at the age of 23 and 24

The problem isn't that they(Matthews and Marner) are not taking their team to the finals, they can't even get it through first round. They dont' produce at the level they are getting paid

Other players got paid after they delivered, after they show cased their success.

Take a look at the playoff numbers by Patrick Kane, Toews, Stamkos, Crosby and now Mackinnon. They were playoff warriors at this age where Marner and Matthews is now
Kane’s RFA deal had a cap hit % of 11%. Marner’s is 13%. They’re not that much different. Using AAV isn’t accurate because the cap increases annually

mcleafs

Jan 2, 2020
Kane’s RFA deal had a cap hit % of 11%. Marner’s is 13%. They’re not that much different. Using AAV isn’t accurate because the cap increases annually
I don’t care how much Matthews or Marner get paid, nor am I questioning how good they are.

The problem is that if you don’t win, none of that matters. And both have proven they are losers who lose when it counts. Literally nothing else matters than that.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Well hopefully (but doubtful) the "core" watched the Avs/Knights game tonight and saw what Avalanche can do with an offense. Not overpassing it on PP's, skating hard, maybe 1-2 passes and bang shoot. It was amazing what the Avalanche can do and frustrating that we dont do that. I'd like to hope our game 7 tomorrow is what it was when we beat Ottawa in 7 the last time we made it past the 1st round but i'm feeling the worse is about to happen. The other part that sucks is Price isnt Lalime

Reactions: fahad203

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I don’t think they’ll change the core if we lose but if they do, do you trust Dubas to make the changes.

No I don’t. He should be fired if they don’t make the Stanley Cup Final anyway. Leafs really should beat the Habs, they are such a bad team and are missing Drouin, one of their few talented players.

Reactions: rumman

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I'm tired of hearing this BS that they're not in their prime. How many years to guys have to earn 11 million before they can be considered to be in their prime? Why are stars on other teams who are the same age or younger playing like they are in their prime?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Didn't Kane won a Cup or at least advance to the 2nd round before hitting RFA? I could be wrong as I am too lazy to look it up.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'm tired of hearing this BS that they're not in their prime. How many years to guys have to earn 11 million before they can be considered to be in their prime? Why are stars on other teams who are the same age or younger playing like they are in their prime?
I am with you. There is no excuse. If someone say Price stole Game 7 or JT was hurt or Ref didn't call this penalty or that penalty....then look back at not showing up while leading the series 3-1. If Price got 3 SOs in Game 5,6 and 7, thats another story. Leafs won three games without JT. The team needs to show up right away and not the last 15 minutes of the game.
Loser will always complain while Winner moves on.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Didn't Kane won a Cup or at least advance to the 2nd round before hitting RFA? I could be wrong as I am too lazy to look it up.

Yeah their first cup was 2010, Kane’s final year of RFA. Regardless Marner has been a complete no show I was just pointing out that inflation makes Marner’s deal look worse than it actually is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad