Pre-Game Talk: Game 7: last chance for the core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Matthews

Sep 13, 2019
wtf? You need to be able to skate to play defense. Do you really think Joe Thornton can keep up skating backwards? Not a damn chance
To suggest that Jumbo can't skate backwards is ridiculous. Skating skills between Muzz and Jumbo is a wash imo

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
If you're a Habs forward flying down the wing towards the Leafs blue line, who are you going to fear seeing most, Dermott, Lilly, Hutton or Big Joe? I know who I'd put my money on

Well first of all if you were a hab forward flying down the wing you'd have to look behind you to see Joe.

Of the remaining, only Hutton lays the body well. So in terms of hit fear, I'm going Hutton > Dermott > Lilly. In terms of losing possession or puck separation, I would probably think Dermott > Hutton > Lilly.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Marner is one of those regular season fire fly's all shiny and bright. Playoff, nothing, nodda, zero. His worshippers keep pointing out he was 4th in scoring or a 90 point man. Yes, he was, but playing with Taveras and Matthews helped.
Move Marner to the third or 4th line.
I would go tonight:
Foligno, Matthews, Simmonds (Let 34 drive the line, the other 2 give him room
Chucky Kerfoot Nylander (Been Leafs best line)
Hyman Engvall Marner (If Marner is so Kane like, should blend well.)
Soupy Brooks Spezza

And the PP:
Willie Simmonds (Net) Matthews
Brodie Sandin
Shoot!!! Shoot!!! Shoot!!!

Spezza Hyman (Net) Foligno
Reilly Marner
Crashh the net, traffic

Mitch Matthews

Sep 13, 2019
Well first of all if you were a hab forward flying down the wing you'd have to look behind you to see Joe.

Of the remaining, only Hutton lays the body well. So in terms of hit fear, I'm going Hutton > Dermott > Lilly. In terms of losing possession or puck separation, I would probably think Dermott > Hutton > Lilly.
That made me laugh, lol

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Poor souls

How cruel. Why are we punishing them?

Lol

But in all seriousness... hopefully it can be a W for these people.

If anyone deserves a win its Healthcare workers for their hard work during all of this.

Regardless of your stance on a lot of issues this is a positive. If only a few of these guys had guts like the health care workers. Would of been a sweep.

Maybe they could do it starting now... that'd be nice.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I totally agree with you. If the Leafs choke, big changes need to happen. This team has proven what they can do in the regular season. In the past 3 years they’ve also shown what they can do in the playoffs, or maybe I should say what they can’t do.
Marner is a magician in the regular season, but he does a disappearing act in the playoffs. If we don’t go deep this season, I would love to see him traded for Seth Jones. I have no idea what/if we might have to add.
Also, if we don’t go deep Dubas HAS to go, and I would even include Shanahan and Keefe. I liked Keefe up until now. Cannot for the life of me understand why Thornton and Simmonds are still in the lineup, and even more head shaking is why Thornton is on PP1. He shouldn’t even be on PP2.
Winning tonight does not change anything for me. We have to at least make it to the semi’s, while putting up a strong showing in the process.
I totally agree with you. If the Leafs choke, big changes need to happen. This team has proven what they can do in the regular season. In the past 3 years they’ve also shown what they can do in the playoffs, or maybe I should say what they can’t do.
Marner is a magician in the regular season, but he does a disappearing act in the playoffs. If we don’t go deep this season, I would love to see him traded for Seth Jones. I have no idea what/if we might have to add.
Also, if we don’t go deep Dubas HAS to go, and I would even include Shanahan and Keefe. I liked Keefe up until now. Cannot for the life of me understand why Thornton and Simmonds are still in the lineup, and even more head shaking is why Thornton is on PP1. He shouldn’t even be on PP2.
Winning tonight does not change anything for me. We have to at least make it to the semi’s, while putting up a strong showing in the process.
I see what you mean about Thornton, but disagree about Simmonds, he's needed for toughness and he contributes with scoring.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Imagine them telling stories to their grandchildren about what they went through during covid, ending it with "...than I went to a Leafs Game 7..."

Haha you didn't want to say it... but I know what you're saying.

That would and possibly could be a great story.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
To suggest that Jumbo can't skate backwards is ridiculous. Skating skills between Muzz and Jumbo is a wash imo

I didn’t say he can’t skate backwards I said he cannot do it FAST enough to play defense. Like this is probably the worst f***ing take I’ve seen on these boards.

Reactions: supermann_98

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I see what you mean about Thornton, but disagree about Simmonds, he's needed for toughness and he contributes with scoring.
I like Simmonds, he plays with a lot of heart. However, most plays seem to die when he gets the puck. As for points, I have no idea how many he has in these playoffs.
I guess I could live with him remaining in the lineup, but he should only see the ice for a max of 8-10 minutes.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Lol. Yeah thought the same thing. Last thing we need is 550 traumatized front line workers in a pandemic.
I'm a nurse and would love to go to the game, but I work nights tonight and work 7pm to 7am. I will make sure that my patients have the game on. 550 fans isn't enough it should be at least the same as Montreal 2,500.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Lol

But in all seriousness... hopefully it can be a W for these people.

If anyone deserves a win its Healthcare workers for their hard work during all of this.

Regardless of your stance on a lot of issues this is a positive. If only a few of these guys had guts like the health care workers. Would of been a sweep.

Maybe they could do it starting now... that'd be nice.
I agree. If this doesn’t give you the motivation to win then I don’t know what would. I would run through a brick wall to make sure these guys witness their team winning the series. To make their time worth it and to thank them for their service.

Reactions: Burnie97

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I honestly don’t have a lot of faith in this team. How on earth a team could show up for a playoff game where you could clinch, and be outplayed the way they were for 50 minutes, is unfathomable.
If they could bring their will and determination level up to match their skill, we the fans would really have something to get excited about.

Reactions: supermann_98

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Classy move by MLSE to invite front line health care workers to the game for free. Even if it's only 550 people, hopefully it will provide a little bit of a boost for the players.

Papa Cherry

Nov 20, 2011
They wont' be here for their prime. Their prime will be in between 26-30

Crosby took his team to the finals at age of 22 and won it in the age of 23
Stamkos took his team to the finals at age of 24
Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews at the age of 23 and 24

The problem isn't that they(Matthews and Marner) are not taking their team to the finals, they can't even get it through first round. They dont' produce at the level they are getting paid

Other players got paid after they delivered, after they show cased their success.

Take a look at the playoff numbers by Patrick Kane, Toews, Stamkos, Crosby and now Mackinnon. They were playoff warriors at this age where Marner and Matthews is now

Those are some great players you listed and some good examples of them winning the Cup or going to the finals early in their career, but why do Marner and Matthews have to follow that blue print? Ovechkin didnt win his till he was in his 30's. The leafs are going to have their own path to the cup too.

Theres more to debate here with previous first round exits and their salaries but we've got a game seven tonight. Prove me right Marner! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad