Pre-Game Talk: Game 7: last chance for the core

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Oh jeez you went there. To suggest that babscock shouldn't have been let go and that he would be the answer to all that ails Mitch..I just threw up in my mouth a little.
I'm sure your breath can't get any worse so I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

As for Babcock...

If the team and the fan base allowed Babcock to be as tough on the players (like Matthews and Marner) as he wanted to be, my guess, we'd have a much better/tougher/more successful team in the 2021 playoffs.

I was not for firing him years ago.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I am as frustrated as anyone with the leafs right now but I personally think the Jets are a better match up for the leafs than the Habs so if they can somehow manage to get past Montreal, who knows.
I think the Jets beat both.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Your the biggest Matthews fan on the boards so I can see why your fine keeping Matthews on the team despite him being a poor playoff performer

Matthews saying good things about Toronto won't matter if we don't have any success in the playoffs. JT was singing praise about the Isalnders before coming here. Matthews knows his legacy will be dead if he stays here long-term and they can't win.

If we win a round next year I can see him staying and I'd be eager to bring him back. But 6 1st straight round exits would be a big stain on his legacy

Nylander saying he wanted to stay is a duh thing. He had no one interested in offersheeting him. It was Toronto or sit out. Dubas also promised him he wouldn't deal right after signing the deal not for his entire contract length

The 8 vs 5 year thing was said to justify his bad contract at the time of signing. He wasn't worth 11.364 by 8 when he signed let alone on 5. He didn't consider the team when signing his deal but neither did marner or nylander so he's not the only person. Bringing up their contracts and the negotiations (or lack thereof for AM34s case) is just opening a big can of worms that we don't have time for and will only be a waste of effort.

Matthews is not a franchise player right now come playoffs. He hasn't proven he can maintain his regular season play come playoffs let alone elevate it like Mackinnon does.

Matthews has tomorrow to step it up and perform and change the narrative as bell have more games in the playoffs but he isn't the level of player you imagine him to be right now.

Lmao I’ll gladly be the biggest fan of the soon to be greatest Maple Leaf of all time.

I’ve explained a bunch, but I don’t believe Matthews has been bad. What happens when there’s only one player on a line with an NHL shot is the other team just plays them for the shot. I’ve seen Matthews give Marner so many cross crease passes this series and Marner just can’t finish. He’s not a threat so the Habs just play Matthews for the shot and the line is neutralized.

I mean you said no core player was committed, so I brought up Nylander. He’s committed is he not?

I don’t have an issue giving your franchise player a blank cheque. I have an issue with Marners contract but that’s another topic.

Come on man, did you just say AM isn’t a franchise player? Okay so based on playoff performance, would you also agree that McDavid isn’t a franchise player???

I think he steps up tomorrow similar to the way he did in game 2. I’d hope that you were also hoping for that to happen because at the end of the day we all want the team to win.

Reactions: Pi

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Wouldn't Florida have to send quite a bit of salary along with Huberdeau to make it work for the cap?
Depends how close they are to the cap.

Robertson is cheap (and some people feel he's a strong prospect) so Florida would get Marner and Robertson in exchange for Huberdeau and taking the cap hit.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Lmao I’ll gladly be the biggest fan of the soon to be greatest Maple Leaf of all time.

I’ve explained a bunch, but I don’t believe Matthews has been bad. What happens when there’s only one player on a line with an NHL shot is the other team just plays them for the shot. I’ve seen Matthews give Marner so many cross crease passes this series and Marner just can’t finish. He’s not a threat so the Habs just play Matthews for the shot and the line is neutralized.

I mean you said no core player was committed, so I brought up Nylander. He’s committed is he not?

I don’t have an issue giving your franchise player a blank cheque. I have an issue with Marners contract but that’s another topic.

Come on man, did you just say AM isn’t a franchise player? Okay so based on playoff performance, would you also agree that McDavid isn’t a franchise player???

I think he steps up tomorrow similar to the way he did in game 2. I’d hope that you were also hoping for that to happen because at the end of the day we all want the team to win.

I said in the playoffs he's not a franchise player and McDavid your right isn't though he's closer being above ppg.

If you think his first 5 years where he has 1 Rocket make him on track to be the greatest leaf of all time then you need to brush up on leafs history.

Matthews is 4-5 years of sustained dominance away from being at that level. I think he can get there but he's not that close where one more elite season makes him the best leaf ever.

Before this year he wasn't a serious contender except by playing his career long enough as a leaf. Now if he's a continued 110 point player with 60 goals than 4 seasons should be enough to make him the GOAT leaf if he has similar level of success come playoffs.

Matthews hasn't been setting up marner I don't know what game your watching. Matthews made one good pass to marner which went through his legs I'll give you that but matthews himself has been missing point blank looks rielly, marner have set him for and hasn't been finishing like he should. Your exusing his poor play when he should he held accountable. Matthews was our 2nd worst player last night after 16. He started the game terrible and couldn't connect on a pass, making poor decisions repeatedly. This isn't a franchise player in the playoffs he has to emerge to that level. Guys like Mackinnon, rantanen, Aho, Point are franchise players come playoffs that's where Matthews needs to get to.

I wasn't hoping for him to step up and dominant game 2 b/c I had extreme confidence he was going to play well and the points would come and we'd win in 5. However the past two games have taken away from that confidence and they have been Matthews and Marners worse games of the series as before this they were doing solid with 4 in 4 and creating enough chances while not being scored on.

They owe the team a huge game tomorrow to make up for game 5 and 6

Reactions: LeafsRus

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
No, my point is that you and others here trashed Phil for being all kinds of things.

And then he went on to win 2 cups in a starring role.

And now you're doing the same to Marner and Matthews.

It mean, that's what I wrote.

Exactly what I wrote.

If you guys could take this frothing hatred down a notch, you'd be able to read it.

Leafs fans have a thing for blindly hating their superstars.
And then bemoan the lack of stars on the team while feeling a sense of reverence for those same stars they ran out of town.
:huh: Kessel had a starring role in Pittsburgh...is that why he was shuffled between the second and third lines on those teams :huh:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm sure your breath can't get any worse so I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

As for Babcock...

If the team and the fan base allowed Babcock to be as tough on the players (like Matthews and Marner) as he wanted to be, my guess, we'd have a much better/tougher/more successful team in the 2021 playoffs.

I was not for firing him years ago.

Surely you are trolling.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
I have vented all day. Took a few deep breaths.

we got this game tomorrow. I got full faith in the boys.

Game 7s happen to the best of em. We took Boston to two game 7s with less of a roster back then! Nobody says Boston chocked.

Minny to Vegas to game 7 after being up 3-1. Today nobody even remembers Minny.

leafs will win tomorrow. We have faith!

Last edited:

myleafs

May 25, 2021
It's almost hard to believe the series isn't already over after that gut-punch of a Game 6 (on the heels of the gut-punch ending of Game 5). Feels weird that there is still another game and of course I'm expecting the worst.

But what is the worst? Get dominated and blown out? Shut out? Blow a big lead? Make a big comeback and then fall short? Lose in OT after dominating that period?

I'm trying to prepare myself for every conceivable outcome because as numb and dejected as I feel right now, I know there will be that moment when the seed of optimism creeps back in. Maybe they can do it this time? Just maybe. You need to have that to be totally devastated.
yes, yes yes yes yes and yes

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Maybe we can channel the energy from Boston when they were up 3-1 in the series against us and had to overcome a 3 goal deficit to win game 7 and then went on to the finals. I know, I'm grasping at straws...

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
upload_2021-5-30_21-37-33.png

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's almost hard to believe the series isn't already over after that gut-punch of a Game 6 (on the heels of the gut-punch ending of Game 5). Feels weird that there is still another game and of course I'm expecting the worst.

But what is the worst? Get dominated and blown out? Shut out? Blow a big lead? Make a big comeback and then fall short? Lose in OT after dominating that period?

I'm trying to prepare myself for every conceivable outcome because as numb and dejected as I feel right now, I know there will be that moment when the seed of optimism creeps back in. Maybe they can do it this time? Just maybe. You need to have that to be totally devastated.

It does feel like we've already played that familiar card a couple of times and yet we're still alive this time. Who knows.

I'm expecting the worst so I won't be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad