GDT: Game 67: Colorado Avalanche @ Columbus Blue Jackets - Black and Blue - 5PM

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
We aren't even getting close in these games unless Tyson Barrie happens.

He's seriously the only one consistently scoring right now. I know his points are often considered lucky or fake or they count less than Real Defenseman Points or something, but the fact is that with the top line struggling, he is the only other gamebreaker in the lineup.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I think we are seeing what happens when you have three rookies as your secondary scoring down the stretch. They just aren't ready for the longer and tougher schedule near the end of the year. I'm not overly concerned because of this and the fact that this is a development year .Playoffs would be amazing by wasn't expecting it at the start of the season so won't be too upset if they can't pull it off especially after the EJ injury.

Hopefully they can find that last bit of energy to push into the playoffs though . Next year will be a different story if they can't come through at the end of the year.

Reactions: Foppberg

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
His scoring is great, but his mind boggling defensive plays cost us momentum. That play on the Jenner goal was a pin in the balloon.
He scored a beautiful goal, then skated into his own defensive partner for another goal against. So roughly even on the night for him.

Reactions: Hennessy

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
He scored a beautiful goal, then skated into his own defensive partner for another goal against. So roughly even on the night for him.

Actually, he cost another goal in overtime.

So he ended -1 for the night.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We aren't even getting close in these games unless Tyson Barrie happens.

He was directly responsible for 2 goals against tonight(And I dont even consider the OT goal his fault), and 1 goal for.

I'm not harking on Barrie. I think he's a great player and does a lot of good things for us. But he also does a decent amount of bad.

Against Chicago, he was a big part of the reason we got to OT. Tonight, he was a part of the reason why we didn't get 2 points.

Reactions: AvsGuy

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I didn't see the game but it sounds like this team's inability to be dominant on the road once again caused another loss. It's just so weird to me, I don't think I've ever seen a team like this before.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I am pro trading Barrie, but also pro Barrie. Barrie is a game breaker and right now is our only secondary scoring. I myself am not blind to Barrie's defensive mistakes, but at the same time he's stepping up in a big way to replace EJ. Heck Barrie has 13 points in the 10 games EJ has been hurt and while I'm sure he's cost us some games, other games he's the only reason we're in them. No one here is claiming Barrie is a defensive stud and we all know he makes his fair share of mistakes in his own end, but he's currently stepping up doing an admirable job filling EJ's shoes. He likely knows he wont ever match EJ in d zone play, but if he can bring game changing play and offence the way he has, we might just be able to survive the loss.

He's a #3 stepping up to play his best as a #1, he's facing much tougher matchups and he's gonna get beat, but right now I'm very happy he's on our team.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think the biggest issue I have with the pro trade Barrie crew is the expectations for him. I think it's pretty clear to everyone and their grandmother that he isn't a defensive stalwart and never will be, but when he gets played as a #1 (which tbh he never should be) his biggest flaws are obviously exposed, but at the same time when he plays #1 minutes he piles up points. He's a very polarizing player, but his offensive skill set is the most elite of the elite and I think he's a player that would be sorely missed once he's gone.

Reactions: cgf and hooverdam

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I guess my main problem is that Johnson's mistakes are never highlighted to the extent that Barrie's are. Johnson is heralded as a 1D here when he doesn't bring the same dynamic on offense that Barrie does, and that I believe a true 1D should. This is excused by his good defense, but the opposite never holds true for Barrie.

Johnson makes mistakes. Barrie makes mistakes. Every defenseman makes mistakes, and a heck of a lot of them wind up in the back of the net; it's the nature of the position. But there's definitely a double standard in how each defenseman's mistakes are tallied up and used against him. Johnson's sound defense is enough to make up for his lack of offense compared to Barrie, but Barrie's offense isn't ever enough to make up for his deficiencies on defense compared to Johnson. It's like people think the point of hockey is to not get scored on instead of scoring and there's more value in the former than the latter.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Bednar saying after the game that he didn't think the team deserved a point but he said it and almost laughed. He knows how bad the team played. He also said he thinks a lot of guys have hit a wall, that their heart is in it but the effort/energy isn't and that has to change. Can't say I disagree. The Avs were outworked mightily in Chicago and tonight.

They NEED to beat Arizona.

I think it was a mistake not to play Yakupov after his strong performance. I also wanna see Kamenev if he's good to go. Heck, I'd even take a look at Alt...it's not like Nemeth or Lindholm have been any good recently. Team looks tired. Some fresh bodies could help.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I think it was a mistake not to play Yakupov after his strong performance. I also wanna see Kamenev if he's good to go. Heck, I'd even take a look at Alt...it's not like Nemeth or Lindholm have been any good recently. Team looks tired. Some fresh bodies could help.

I'd be down to get some fresh bodies in the lineup

Lando-Mack-Rantanen
Ghetto-Jost-Compher
Nieto-Soda-Comeau
Kerfoot-Kamenev-Yak

Z-Barrie
Girard-Nemeth
Siemens-Alt

Reactions: Hinterland

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I guess my main problem is that Johnson's mistakes are never highlighted to the extent that Barrie's are. Johnson is heralded as a 1D here when he doesn't bring the same dynamic on offense that Barrie does, and that I believe a true 1D should. This is excused by his good defense, but the opposite never holds true for Barrie.

Johnson makes mistakes. Barrie makes mistakes. Every defenseman makes mistakes, and a heck of a lot of them wind up in the back of the net; it's the nature of the position. But there's definitely a double standard in how each defenseman's mistakes are tallied up and used against him. Johnson's sound defense is enough to make up for his lack of offense compared to Barrie, but Barrie's offense isn't ever enough to make up for his deficiencies on defense compared to Johnson. It's like people think the point of hockey is to not get scored on instead of scoring and there's more value in the former than the latter.
For me, it's because as a defenseman, defense is their primary job, and offense is a secondary function. I will always weight defensive prowess higher than offense when it comes to evaluating a defenseman. It is extremely weird to me, as somebody who played D, to hear people bring up points whenever Barrie is discussed, as if that somehow outweighs everything else and he has no other job to do on the ice.

Reactions: Hinterland

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
He's seriously the only one consistently scoring right now. I know his points are often considered lucky or fake or they count less than Real Defenseman Points or something, but the fact is that with the top line struggling, he is the only other gamebreaker in the lineup.
Second best ppg per defensemen in the NHL, that cannot be luck

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

The problem with Barrie is that he is a defenseman, key part being defense. Defenseman are supposed to be sound in their own end, which Barrie only is some of the time.

I don't think there is a Avs fan that doesn't like and appreciate what he does offensively. But it's really getting tiresome watching his deficiencies in his own end.

You're point is valid about offense and defense being equally important aspects to the game. They are, but in Barrie's case I don't think there is an Avs fan that wouldn't like to see a guy who scores 10-15% less say like 40-45pts guy instead of the 50+pts but was 15% more reliable in his own end.

But For Barrie right now his nice offensive game doesn't outweight his deficiencies defensively.

Reactions: McMetal

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For me, it's because as a defenseman, defense is their primary job, and offense is a secondary function. I will always weight defensive prowess higher than offense when it comes to evaluating a defenseman. It is extremely weird to me, as somebody who played D, to hear people bring up points whenever Barrie is discussed, as if that somehow outweighs everything else and he has no other job to do on the ice.

This out-dated way of thinking is why I really hate that they are called defensemen in hockey instead of blueliners or even backs. A blueliner’s job is to defend, sure, but so is a forward’s. And both getting the puck back and moving it out of danger, are key duties of blueliners.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012

So then conversely, an offensemans job is primarily offense?

Any offenseman who doesn't score at least 40 points a year is not doing their job?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad