GDT: Game 67: Colorado Avalanche @ Columbus Blue Jackets - Black and Blue - 5PM

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's why they need Andrighetto to be fully healthy and producing again. I thought he looked ok yesterday, but looked his best when paired with MacKinnon and Rantanen. Conversely, I didn't think Jost looked good with MacKinnon and Rantanen last night.

Jost was a lot more of a passenger on that line than he has been of late, but they were starting to turn it up before the mixing began. Agreed about Sven, having him back was really nice and I'd like to see him with Jost behind the top line...would be nice if Kamenev, or even captain average were good to go as the third guy on that line. We could then ease the load on Kerf & Compher by playing them with Gork on the 4th line. Something like:

Landy - MacK - Mikko
Jost - Kamenev - Sven
Nieto - Soda - Comeau
Gork - Kerf - Compher

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Haefele, in response to a question on Twitter, thought this might just be signs of a young team that's just plain worn out. That could very well be the case, a lot of these rookies have never played this much hockey in a single season before.
It doesn't help that their coach's "system" is predicated on constantly outworking the other team. Playing smarter, not harder, would probably help avoid this. That kind of thing won't carry you through four playoff series.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Haefele, in response to a question on Twitter, thought this might just be signs of a young team that's just plain worn out. That could very well be the case, a lot of these rookies have never played this much hockey in a single season before.

This wouldn't surprise me at all. Especially in regards to Kerfoot. Anything that happens from here on out is gravy anyway you split it.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He's only 22 for another month. ;)

I get the idea that experience helps and matters, and Z hasn't reached the level where you'd expect him to be perfect. I think he needs to show more than he has though. To me Z's biggest issues might be of the incurable type... his IQ sputters and has has a real lackadaisical streak to him. The IQ can get mitigated a bit with experience, but lapses there do prevent players from reaching their potential all the time. The lackadaisical nature is incredibly difficult to hammer out of players... that might be the bigger issue of the two long-term. I want to be wrong here as Z has all the talent to be a great player, but I see some serious red flags popping up.

Z has always had stretches longer than 2-3 games. He was great towards the end of his season last year. That was a solid 10 game stretch and people were hoping he'd continue that trajectory this season. I see that as about the same bump as he had this year with a bit less offense.

What about a guy like EJ? He's consistent as the come now, but he had up and down years. I'd say it's only been the past two years he's been really consistent. The previous years he was just as streaky making dumb plays and positioning.

If Z was consistent, i'd say he'd be a decent #2. But he's not yet, which is why he's more like a #3-4 right now. A 22 years old #3-4 is pretty damn impressive. He's not a stud like McAvoy, Jones, etc. but he's the next tier down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->