GDT: Game 62: Red Wings at avs 9:30 pm et 3/6/24 (TNT, MAX)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
What did Lalonde do to not help in this department? The stupid goalie change. You’re delusional if that’s what you think. The team needs big time defense help.

Veleno failed miserable in that spot with Kane and cat. Move Compher up or putt Copp there. Veleno ain’t it
So at least you agree that the goalie change was stupid :nod:

Yeah, he sent a bad message to the team. The team responded as I said they would. The question is, can they overcome both this beat down and Lalonde and respond well in the next game?

Defensive help, blending the lines.... irrelevant to managing tonight's game.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Why ? They should have beat Chicago the other night, outshot them by a million and they are gonna come hard. I don’t see the Wings winning. I could be wrong, but this team can’t handle pressure and is dog poop w out Larkin, which is crazy, bc Larkin doesn’t move the needle on a top 3 team in the league.
See, what I did was post something defiant and hopeful. The Wings SHOULD methodically and dispassionately destroy the 'yotes. I WANT them to do that. I BELIEVE that they can, even without D-boss.

Your last sentence is a Venn Diagram with improbable overlap.
larkstrash.jpg

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
So at least you agree that the goalie change was stupid :nod:

Yeah, he sent a bad message to the team. The team responded as I said they would. The question is, can they overcome both this beat down and Lalonde and respond well in the next game?

Defensive help, blending the lines.... irrelevant to managing tonight's game.
I don’t know what you know about hockey or if you’ve played on a competitive team, but usually a goalie change is used by coaches to hopefully spark a team.

Reactions: 14ari13

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
That was embarrassing. It reminded me if the first game of the road trip in Western Canada when the Oilers beat us 8-4. That trip we salvaged 2 wins. This time if we play like we did tonight on the rest of the trip we're done. We need at least four points on this trip.

Reactions: raymond23

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Sell, get the picks. No point to watch this team get swept in the 1st round.

So missing the playoffs, getting a middle to late first rounder is worth telling Larkin even though we are in a position to make the post season finally... not enough? Standing pat or tweaking the line up to small degrees would make sense. Any playoff experience is key for so many guys on this team and the crazy thing is... make it in, in today's NHL and things sometimes happen

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I don’t know what you know about hockey or if you’ve played on a competitive team, but usually a goalie change is used by coaches to hopefully spark a team.
Yeah I've played at a decently high level. Do we need to compare resumes? I understand goalie changes. You are right that they are most often used to spark a team. That is not what happened tonight. What happened tonight was Lalonde gave up on the game by pulling a goalie that is twice as good as the backup in a game that we were technically still within striking distance of (even if you don't think we were, I assure you the players felt that way, and that's what matters when it comes to team morale), but only if we have the goalie that gives us the best chance to win. A spark was not part of the equation tonight.

Maybe you think that was worth it, in order to rest Lyon. Fair enough, I won't argue that. I still contend it's a risk to send the message to the team that was sent. They're big boys, they have a better chance of overcoming that message than 17yo AA midgets, but it's still a risk.

I mean, I have zero faith in Reimer, so yeah, giving us the best chance to win on Friday with a rested Lyon back in net is a reasonable position. Like I said, I can't argue against that position. But putting Reimer in tonight was in no way an attempt to win this game. We mailed it in.

Last edited:

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I hate listening to Darren Pang talk about hockey.
Had a hate on for Pang since he gushed over the Ducks during our 2007 playoff series against them. Then he became a very biased Blues slappy and now he's doing it for the Blackhawk and, apparently, any team featured for a national broadcast. He's among the worst out there.
Was going to watch this game during my overnight shift even knowing the score, but will not put myself through that game and Darren Pang. I feel for y'all who tuned in and saw it through to the end.

Reactions: Ezekial

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
See, what I did was post something defiant and hopeful. The Wings SHOULD methodically and dispassionately destroy the 'yotes. I WANT them to do that. I BELIEVE that they can, even without D-boss.

Your last sentence is a Venn Diagram with improbable overlap.
View attachment 831006
Larkin is mediocre and the team is mediocre because its top player is mediocre. But without him the team is a grandpa star player, a few grandpa role players and a bunch of kids who are at or below replacement level most nights. The couple young bright stars on the team today are a middle 6 forward and a defender that transforms from beast to wimp so regularly that he could replace Bruce Banner on the avengers.

This team has overachieved on the backs of a couple players who won’t be in the NHL in 5 years. This isn’t a team built to make regular, let alone deep runs in the playoffs in the years to come.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
That would piss off the room and definitely alienate Larkin.
Ya I don’t think they are in the same spot as last year. They have a lot more talent and depth up front. They need to add on the backend, either with an established youngish top 4 D or even a shot in the arm with an Edvinsson call up. Guys like Matta and Petry need to b rotating in not in the lineup nightly

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Larkin is mediocre and the team is mediocre because its top player is mediocre. But without him the team is a grandpa star player, a few grandpa role players and a bunch of kids who are at or below replacement level most nights. The couple young bright stars on the team today are a middle 6 forward and a defender that transforms from beast to wimp so regularly that he could replace Bruce Banner on the avengers.

This team has overachieved on the backs of a couple players who won’t be in the NHL in 5 years. This isn’t a team built to make regular, let alone deep runs in the playoffs in the years to come.
Those are certainly words.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Kane's magic is ineffective tonight
It was effective for the avs though. That turnover was the turning point of the game.
We have no ability to maintain possession. We are far too willing to make the "safe" play of just chipping the puck into space. The reliance on chips and flips is also how delay of game penalties happen. It's kinda hard to put a puck to a teammate over the glass. We don't do a good job of getting open and don't do a good job of finding the open man if they are open. Chasing hockey is losing hockey.
The only way to stay in this game was to keep it simple and safe. Kane makes that one unnecessary play, they score, game over.
Wings just standing around this period. Color me shocked.
They had no idea what to do with MacKinnon. He seemed like at least 2 levels above them.
What did Lalonde do to not help in this department? The stupid goalie change. You’re delusional if that’s what you think. The team needs big time defense help.

Veleno failed miserable in that spot with Kane and cat. Move Compher up or putt Copp there. Veleno ain’t it
We struggled to contain MacKinnon even with Larkin in the lineup.
Why ? They should have beat Chicago the other night, outshot them by a million and they are gonna come hard. I don’t see the Wings winning. I could be wrong, but this team can’t handle pressure and is dog poop w out Larkin, which is crazy, bc Larkin doesn’t move the needle on a top 3 team in the league.
Handling the pressure is a process. You fail many times before you learn how to handle it. Seider struggled tonight and vs Oilers, but (hopefully) he will learn.
Well the upside is I don't have to listen to Panger teabag MacKinnon any longer
Panger is so annoying. Next time, dound off. He is unbearable.
Yeah I've played at a decently high level. Do we need to compare resumes? I understand goalie changes. You are right that they are most often used to spark a team. That is not what happened tonight. What happened tonight was Lalonde gave up on the game by pulling a goalie that is twice as good as the backup in a game that we were technically still within striking distance of (even if you don't think we were, I assure you the players felt that way, and that's what matters when it comes to team morale). A spark was not part of the equation tonight.

Maybe you think that was worth it, in order to rest Lyon. Fair enough, I won't argue that. I still contend it's a risk to send the message to the team that was sent. They're big boys, they have a better chance of overcoming that message than 17yo AA midgets, but it's still a risk.

I mean, I have zero faith in Reimer, so yeah, giving us the best chance to win on Friday with a rested Lyon back in net is a reasonable position. Like I said, I can't argue against that position. But putting Reimer in tonight was in no way an attempt to win this game. We mailed it in.
That game was over when they scored their 4th. The avs created 5 or 6 good/great scoring chances within only 30 seconds of their PP, that was unbelievable. They were on pace for 60 shots and finished with 50+.
Disparity between them and us is huge, they are a cup contender we are fighting to make the playoffs 1st time in 7 years and it will be a huge success if we make it.
The team gave up when kane made the turnover, even Lyon did

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I turned it off after the Avs scored their fourth. Looking at that score, it seems like I made the right call.

The loss is disappointing, but it's Colorado, so it wasn't entirely unexpected. Here's hoping we can find our winning ways here soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad