GDT: Game 62: Red Wings at avs 9:30 pm et 3/6/24 (TNT, MAX)

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Yeah, anything we had is gone. This is a sad day for me as fan. I watched a lot of games this year, and this was the game it felt like the party is over. They looked bad. I don't have faith a win is coming on this road trip(Arizona/LV next).

Just sell. They're far away honestly. Not enough top talent, just about that simple.

Idk if they'll ever get it (top talent).
Didn't they get dominated by McDavid like 2 weeks ago then win 6 straight, man dude grow a pair

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
You can look worse than what you are capable at any given night. Things like this happens when the other team completely overtakes the game. In a playoff series, 1 on 1 match in 7 game series anything can happen. Avs got talent, and they played at very high pace. Wings tried to match but then I thought Wings gave too much respect as the game went on and that did not help at all.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Hopefully we maybe slow down the talk of re-signing the entire team now.

I swear if they do the play down to the Yotes level game tomorrow I might flip out. They need to beat the snot outta Arizona.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I personally do not believe we have enough talent or mental toughness to move on, especially without Larkin. Our record without 71 is absolutely horrible.
We are a rebuilding team without much center depth that just lost its number one center. We will struggle. There is no question about it.

Also, the Avs are really, really f***ing good.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
We are a rebuilding team without much center depth that just lost its number one center. We will struggle. There is no question about it.

Also, the Avs are really, really f***ing good.
Yeah, the Avs are good, it puts in perspective how far behind we are to actually contending.

Even though we are nowhere near a contender yet, it would have been fun to watch a few playoff games. Of course we are still in the race, but it's obvious when the games get tough, this team falls apart.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Yeah, the Avs are good, it puts in perspective how far behind we are to actually contending.

Even though we are nowhere near a contender yet, it would have been fun to watch a few playoff games. Of course we are still in the race, but it's obvious when the games get tough, this team falls apart.
Didn't they just beat the Avs in an OT Classic 2 weeks ago? come on man be smart

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Most teams don't rotate extras, aside from the goalie, they get B2B games. The issue is that this team has $5.4M sitting in the press box instead of $2M ~ 3M. Kostin prob gets bought out, Holl trade would be a cap dump that needs a sweetener.

I dunno why Stevie didn't just grab Reaves or Maroon in UFA instead of trading for Kostin. Just a waste of money. At least it didn't cost anything besides money. Kostin, Copp, and Holl really make me question the pro scouts on the team.
I don't hate copp though. For what he does defensively, it is actually pretty good for the team in regards to depth. The problem is, we all though that he was going to be our 2c or top 6 winger because he showed that ability before, but he just isnt that.

I am more upset that we didn't get trochek when I thought we were a shoe-in for him. So that hurts.

Just feels like we should be doing something this trade deadline. That colorado game just screamed last year ottawa to me without the physicality, just being severely outplayed. Larkin would have helped, obviously, but I don't think its a 3-2, 2-1 game, we probably still would have lost that one 5-2 with larkin. We all knew we were going to lose because of their home record alone, but 7-2 just shows our depth is not what we think it is when it comes to top teams in the league, so going and getting a hartman or buchnevich type would be extremely useful.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If Avs are the measuring bar, then we are still pretty short.

I'd like the Wings to make the playoffs for development purposes... but I don't see the point in Yzerman trading future assets to get there. The team should make it with the talent they have. Yzerman beefed up the roster a lot in the past few years. It's up to the players now. If they fail to make it, it's on the players, not the GM.

Mckinnon and Makar are studs.

As I said earlier, even before these last couple games I don't think Yzerman would've been making any moves based on the playoffs this season. He's stated pretty clearly the goal is to be a longer-term Cup competitive team. Not just to make the playoffs and go on a run one season.

I will say, I’m not sure anyone in the league was stopping McKinnon last night. Felt like he was on another level. Looked better than I’ve ever seen mcdavid look
I was with you up to the "better than I've ever seen McDavid part." But yes MacKinnon was on fire last night.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah, anything we had is gone. This is a sad day for me as fan. I watched a lot of games this year, and this was the game it felt like the party is over. They looked bad. I don't have faith a win is coming on this road trip(Arizona/LV next).

Just sell. They're far away honestly. Not enough top talent, just about that simple.

Idk if they'll ever get it (top talent).

The Wings finished in 25th place at the end of last season. They are currently in the top wildcard spot and competing for a playoff spot. Did we really think they'd take the leap right to being regularly competitive with the best teams in the league?

Yes they just got their ass handed to them by the Avs, who are a Cup winning team from a couple seasons ago, whose top center leads the league in points, whose #1 D is a norris and Conn Smythe winner. It's also the team the Wings beat a couple weeks ago in a well played 2-1 game. Things happen. Especially when the Wings are missing their 1c.

I understand the short-term disappointment of getting blown out but don't really know what people want as an alternative. Just keep trying to out-tank teams for years until the Wings stumble upon a generational talent? Will you guys just not watch the Red Wings for those awful years and come back when they're great?

The Wings had crazy success for decades and haven't been lucky enough to get handed a Crosby-Malkin, or a Kane-Toews, or McDavid Draisaitl (who haven't won anything). They're having to claw their way out of the hole Holland left and do it without having a top 3 pick since 1990. It's not gonna be pretty, but it still can be a fun ride .

In short, it's a long way to the top if you wanna rock n roll, so suck it up buttercup.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

People forget how dark it was and how long it was dark for the Avs. It was a really ugly decade. There is a pretty big gap between us and the real contenders, but we aren't far off from being a playoff team (if we aren't already) which is progress given where we have been over the last eight years.

Anyways, don't get upset when we get our teeth kicked in against really good teams without our 1st line center. That is going to happen.

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
Last 3 games since garbage deal: 3 defeats, 5:16 goals, Larkin out! I am not amused!

and only 4 points to the Isles (4w in a row) :(

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Didn't they get dominated by McDavid like 2 weeks ago then win 6 straight, man dude grow a pair
No, they actually lost the very next game 4-1... Trend isn't good the last month vs playoff teams.

Grow a brain? Lol. Just joking, seriously joking it's easy to overlook that. They've beat up on Calgary/Blues/Captials and squeeked out OT wins vs Kraken/Hawks/Avs yes.

People forget how dark it was and how long it was dark for the Avs. It was a really ugly decade. There is a pretty big gap between us and the real contenders, but we aren't far off from being a playoff team (if we aren't already) which is progress given where we have been over the last eight years.

Anyways, don't get upset when we get our teeth kicked in against really good teams without our 1st line center. That is going to happen.

I think people are saying or suggesting Red Wings are not a playoff team anymore even though they're currently "hanging on". Not sure anyone is expecting a cup run but really wanted that playoff birth.

They clearly arent with Larkin out of the line-up, imo. Idk if they got enough to hold on.

It'll be after the TDL, and while Larkins gone but 4 of their next 5 games are vs Arizona/Buffalo. If you can't get 6 points in those 4 games then... idk if the teams playoff bound.

Last edited:

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
If forward group stays same after deadline I wouldn’t stick with Veleno up top. I would go

Cat- Fabbri-Kane
Perron-Compher-raymond
Rass-Copp-fisher
Kostin-Veleno-sprong

Fabbri has the talent and brain to play with those 2. Is he great defensively?? No, but you can keep them away from other teams top lines. Use Compher and Copp lines vs other teams top guys

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Last 3 games since garbage deal: 3 defeats, 5:16 goals, Larkin out! I am not amused!

and only 4 points to the Isles (4w in a row) :(
Islanders play the Sharks tonight, so we're pretty much 2 points up. They will not squander these 2 points. The Isles seem to elevate their game when they need to, we unfortunetely tend to do the exact opposite. There is a reason the Islanders make the Playoffs all the time, they just stick with it, and can ramp it up when they have to.

Tampa isn't missing the playoffs either, to me the last spot is between us and Philly, and with Larkin out for 6 more games, it's not looking promising.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Islanders play the Sharks tonight, so we're pretty much 2 points up. They will not squander these 2 points. The Isles seem to elevate their game when they need to, we unfortunetely tend to do the exact opposite. There is a reason the Islanders make the Playoffs all the time, they just stick with it, and can ramp it up when they have to.

Tampa isn't missing the playoffs either, to me the last spot is between us and Philly, and with Larkin out for 6 more games, it's not looking promising.
Look at phillys next 10 games. It’s a gauntlet

Reactions: RedWingzz

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I only see Islanders from the teams on the outside making the playoffs. After Philly's been selling, I think they are the ones out.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Look at phillys next 10 games. It’s a gauntlet
wow...thats a brutal schedule lol, ok you made me feel a bit better.

Still, we have to beat Arizona and Buffalo and the weaker teams, or their tough schedule doesnt matter, but yeah, those next 10 for the Flyers are tough, minus the freebie against San Jose.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I will say, I’m not sure anyone in the league was stopping McKinnon last night. Felt like he was on another level. Looked better than I’ve ever seen mcdavid look
He was possessed, he was just crazy.
I think the avs created like 5-6 chances in the 1st 30 seconds of their PP. It was unbelievable.

I would not put too much in this game, nor this losing streak, nor in the 6 game winning streak.

It is just it goes that way. Vs the avs all breaks went their way, vs the blues all breaks went our way. I don't know if Seider has puck over the glass in his career, last night he had 2.

We will see what Lalonde can do for the next game/s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad