GDT: Game 62: Red Wings at avs 9:30 pm et 3/6/24 (TNT, MAX)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Larkin is mediocre and the team is mediocre because its top player is mediocre. But without him the team is a grandpa star player, a few grandpa role players and a bunch of kids who are at or below replacement level most nights. The couple young bright stars on the team today are a middle 6 forward and a defender that transforms from beast to wimp so regularly that he could replace Bruce Banner on the avengers.

This team has overachieved on the backs of a couple players who won’t be in the NHL in 5 years. This isn’t a team built to make regular, let alone deep runs in the playoffs in the years to come.

Larkin is mediocre which is why the team is mediocre but also the team sucks without him?

You're basically making @dalem177 's point.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Larkin is mediocre and the team is mediocre because its top player is mediocre. But without him the team is a grandpa star player, a few grandpa role players and a bunch of kids who are at or below replacement level most nights. The couple young bright stars on the team today are a middle 6 forward and a defender that transforms from beast to wimp so regularly that he could replace Bruce Banner on the avengers.

This team has overachieved on the backs of a couple players who won’t be in the NHL in 5 years. This isn’t a team built to make regular, let alone deep runs in the playoffs in the years to come.
I don't agree with you, but as I see it now the peak of this team will be reaching the conference finals.And then rebuilding again. I think this team is far better than the last years team and can easily make the playoffs, but Lalonde might not be up to the task. We shall see.
I turned it off after the Avs scored their fourth. Looking at that score, it seems like I made the right call.

The loss is disappointing, but it's Colorado, so it wasn't entirely unexpected. Here's hoping we can find our winning ways here soon.
4th goal was the turning point. The game was over right there.
We just lost against probably 2NHL best teams. Doesn't means we are not going to win some games in playoffs. Ras, Veleno, Seider, Reimond needs taste of the playoffs .
Baruble (spelling) and Lundqvist said many good things about the team after the game. Their analysis was 100% correct.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What a joke of NHL that Denver is as a City.

Lots if empty seats and half of the crowd is wearing Red Wings jerseys.

Think that joke should be re-located to Quebec.

Even Nashville has better own hockey culture nowadays.

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
Yeah I've played at a decently high level. Do we need to compare resumes? I understand goalie changes. You are right that they are most often used to spark a team. That is not what happened tonight. What happened tonight was Lalonde gave up on the game by pulling a goalie that is twice as good as the backup in a game that we were technically still within striking distance of (even if you don't think we were, I assure you the players felt that way, and that's what matters when it comes to team morale), but only if we have the goalie that gives us the best chance to win. A spark was not part of the equation tonight.

Maybe you think that was worth it, in order to rest Lyon. Fair enough, I won't argue that. I still contend it's a risk to send the message to the team that was sent. They're big boys, they have a better chance of overcoming that message than 17yo AA midgets, but it's still a risk.

I mean, I have zero faith in Reimer, so yeah, giving us the best chance to win on Friday with a rested Lyon back in net is a reasonable position. Like I said, I can't argue against that position. But putting Reimer in tonight was in no way an attempt to win this game. We mailed it in.

Not clear on whether you supported the mercy pull or not?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't agree with you, but as I see it now the peak of this team will be reaching the conference finals.And then rebuilding again. I think this team is far better than the last years team and can easily make the playoffs, but Lalonde might not be up to the task. We shall see.

4th goal was the turning point. The game was over right there.

Baruble (spelling) and Lundqvist said many good things about the team after the game. Their analysis was 100% correct.
I mean they could peak there, but if I had a gun to my head I see this team being an interchangeable bubble team for 3-5 seasons before the rebuild needs to happen again. This is barring Danielson becoming a PPG center which isn’t outside the realm of possibility but not something I’d bank on.

Reactions: 14ari13

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
They are. Never forget that Torcheck and Larkin are having nearly identical seasons. If that doesn’t put into prospective how mediocre the Wings are, nothing will.
I don't want to get too cute with another picture, but... sitting in the #1 wild card spot - not necessarily comfortably I grant you - and "mediocre" simply does not compute for me. It clearly does for you.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I mean they could peak there, but if I had a gun to my head I see this team being an interchangeable bubble team for 3-5 seasons before the rebuild needs to happen again. This is barring Danielson becoming a PPG center which isn’t outside the realm of possibility but not something I’d bank on.
I kind of think this core will never reach the sc finals. I thought Yzerman had to tank one more season to get another top 5 pick.
If I had to bet my house whether this team will win the cup or reach the sc finals, I would bet sc finals. I don't see this team ever win the cup, let alone several ones.
Yzerman should have realised by now that Lalonde is a problem.

I definitely think Yzerman should have brought back Mantha now. Caps gave him away for free. You do experiment, if it works it works, if doesn't it doesn't hurt either.
I don't see any other easy deals.

Reactions: DamonDRW and Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I kind of think this core will never reach the sc finals. I thought Yzerman had to tank one more season to get another top 5 pick.
If I had to bet my house whether this team will win the cup or reach the sc finals, I would bet sc finals. I don't see this team ever win the cup, let alone several ones.

I definitely think Yzerman should have brought back Mantha now. Caps gave him away for free. You do experiment, if it works it works, if doesn't it doesn't hurt either.
Based on this one game,

I also hated when Yzerman drafted Seider and Raymond. Should have never done that. Also going after Kane was ridiculous. 8-year deal for Larkin will be maybe his biggest organizational anchor.

I also loved Mantha's effort, and he should trade Bertuzzi back. Maybe sign Martin Frk too.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
TLJ.jpg

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Do you know what makes sports fun? They're unpredictable. I think statements like "this team won't win the cup or reach the finals" etc are pretty absurd. We have no idea what the final makeup of our core is going to look like, who will be added along the way, who will be lost, who will take a big step, who will have a hot streak at the right time, etc.

Right now we have a playoff bubble team on the ice, with arguably the best prospect pool in hockey. Be pessimistic about that if it's your prerogative but don't be surprised when most of us tune that out.

I think it's reasonable to question our priorities and the direction of the team, but the fact is that our core is ready for the playoffs. Should we have signed fewer vets so that Edvinsson and Berggren could get NHL reps? I think so. But Seider is ready to carry an NHL defense. Maybe not particularly well until he has a better supporting cast around him (which we have growing in the system), but he's ready. Raymond is ready to carry a top 6 line. Larkin is overdue for some playoff hockey.

Should we have ignored the chance to bring in Ghost, Kane and Debrincat? Should we have moved Walman? Do we not believe in our next generation of prospects to elevate this team at all? If not, why should we believe in whoever goes 6 this year instead? Honestly, I really don't think that one more top 10 pick is going to make the difference for this team's future. I think playing meaningful games and getting into the playoffs will be really important for this team's development though. We're not contenders yet. But we never will be if we are perennially committed to the future. Eventually, we had to turn the corner, and I think our core players dictated that now is that time.

Have mistakes been made, do I wish we had won a lottery to bring in a true superstar, is it possible that the reinforcements fizzle, everyone stops developing, the Larkin age players fall off too early and we never make it out of the mushy middle? Of course. But I think on the whole, we're one of the best positioned teams to contend in 2-3 years. We have to walk before we can run.

Of course we're still losing to the best of the best. That's not us- yet. I just don't know how you can look at the direction of this team and its talent level, and be upset right now. Nothing will ever be guaranteed. You can tank like Toronto, get a ton of stars and never win. You can hang out in mediocrity and suddenly get a random cup like the Blues did. The most reasonable thing is to try to improve your team when you can while aiming to maximize talent during a particular window. That window is opening for Detroit, and by my assessment, we're well positioned to capitalize on it. Will it require some luck to win the cup? It always has. If there was a path to guaranteed victory, the sport would be boring.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If Avs are the measuring bar, then we are still pretty short.

I'd like the Wings to make the playoffs for development purposes... but I don't see the point in Yzerman trading future assets to get there. The team should make it with the talent they have. Yzerman beefed up the roster a lot in the past few years. It's up to the players now. If they fail to make it, it's on the players, not the GM.

Mckinnon and Makar are studs.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Honestly, the way we have seen them get dominated with Larkin against the Oilers and Panthers. I'm not sure it would've mattered this game.

When their bad comes out, it really comes out hard.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

We drafted 8th and 9th the last 2 years.

You weren’t going to get a top 5 pick this year without really going out of your way to do so, which would have long term implications.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
so whats the gameplan on the road against the Avs without Larkin?

try not to lose 7-1?

I wish I could be more optimistic, but I have a hard time envisioning any scenario where we get 2 points tonight
saw that coming lol

Sell, get the picks. No point to watch this team get swept in the 1st round.
first round?

check the standings...our 10 point lead or whatever it was has vanished. We are in an absolute playoff race again, and are not even close to a lock for the playoffs.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, anything we had is gone. This is a sad day for me as fan. I watched a lot of games this year, and this was the game it felt like the party is over. They looked bad. I don't have faith a win is coming on this road trip(Arizona/LV next).

Just sell. They're far away honestly. Not enough top talent, just about that simple.

Idk if they'll ever get it (top talent).

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Not clear on whether you supported the mercy pull or not?
I didn’t like it in terms of the message sent, but I get it in terms of resting Lyon and picking your battles. What’s certainly not true is that it was meant to spark the team to a win.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I will say, I’m not sure anyone in the league was stopping McKinnon last night. Felt like he was on another level. Looked better than I’ve ever seen mcdavid look

Reactions: 14ari13 and RRhoads

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3