GDT: Game 62: Red Wings at avs 9:30 pm et 3/6/24 (TNT, MAX)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Statistics show that he tilts the ice toward his offensive zone and his team scores a lot more goals at ES than they allow when he's on the ice.

Right. Because he's a good offensive defensman. It's still a stretch to consider that good defense and attribute it to him.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
I mean I didn't expect a win, but getting manhandled is another thing. They are easy to play against.
This team is soft as butter. As you said, WAY too easy to play against. Who do we have thay throws decent hits regularly? Fischer, maybe? Chiarot throws the occasional hit. We also dont have much tenacity up front; not alot of guys banging around bodies in puck retrieval. Just too easy to play against, all around.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I appreciate the debate around who the "best" defenseman is in whatever context.

But there isn't really an award for the craft of defending and there should be.
Norris - best Dman (emphasis on complete game in his own end)

Orr - best offensive minded Dman

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
This team is soft as butter. As you said, WAY too easy to play against. Who do we have thay throws decent hits regularly? Fischer, maybe? Chiarot throws the occasional hit. We also dont have much tenacity up front; not alot of guys banging around bodies in puck retrieval. Just too easy to play against, all around.

We're chasing the puck all game

We need more skill and skating on the backend to control the puck

I don't think getting more hits is gonna help us much in a game like this

We probably need more of both realistically

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Sometimes coaches pull the goalie to send a message to the team. It’s not always a concession of defeat.

Also, they’re not making the playoffs without Lyon. Need to keep him fresh and save his minutes when they can.
The message being sent to the team in this case is, "it's over, we're not winning this game." It's a potentially toxic message. Your point about wanting to preserve Lyon is spot on, and that's certainly why Lalonde pulled Lyon. I can't argue with the benefit gained there. But there's a negative to go with that positive, and that's telling the team that we're no longer trying to win this game.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
We're chasing the puck all game

We need more skill and skating on the backend to control the puck

I don't think getting more hits is gonna help us much in a game like this

We probably need more of both realistically
We have no ability to maintain possession. We are far too willing to make the "safe" play of just chipping the puck into space. The reliance on chips and flips is also how delay of game penalties happen. It's kinda hard to put a puck to a teammate over the glass. We don't do a good job of getting open and don't do a good job of finding the open man if they are open. Chasing hockey is losing hockey.

Reactions: 14ari13

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Ooooo, play Panger's comment in the room - "And where are the Wings?"

Like Nimitz to Halsey October 25, 1944

"TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM THIRD FLEET INFO COMINCH CTF SEVENTY-SEVEN X WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE THIRTY FOUR RR THE WORLD WONDERS"

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
The message being sent to the team in this case is, "it's over, we're not winning this game." It's a potentially toxic message. Your point about wanting to preserve Lyon is spot on, and that's certainly why Lalonde pulled Lyon. I can't argue with the benefit gained there. But there's a negative to go with that positive, and that's telling the team that we're no longer trying to win this game.
How so? They need six goals even if he pitches a shutout in the 3rd period.

It’s not like Lalonde is taking a fan out of the audience and inserting him into the game………though Reimer can resemble that sometimes.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The Avs are playing a really really good game. Not many weaknesses in their play since the 1st

The Wings were still getting good chances sometimes during the first half of the game but that has gone away

Ooooo, play Panger's comment in the room - "And where are the Wings?"

Like Nimitz to Halsey October 25, 1944

"TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM THIRD FLEET INFO COMINCH CTF SEVENTY-SEVEN X WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE THIRTY FOUR RR THE WORLD WONDERS"

umm, I want some of whatever you're drinking

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
You said he tilts the ice so they don't have to play defense and posed the question isn't that the best kind of defensive hockey?

I guess I didn't understand your point then.
The goal of hockey is to score more goals than the other team.

If a player makes it so the other team has the puck less in my D zone, and my team continually scores more goals than they allow while he's on the ice, he is an effective player that points the needle toward wins. Plenty of defensive players suck dicks in the O zone and actually make it so their team has to play more defense, that's not good.

Christien

May 1, 2010
The “physical” players on our team haven’t done anything at all. Chiarot is just floating around and so is Kostin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad