GDT: Game 5: Avs vs Ducks | Friday, October 13, 2017 | 7 PM MT | Just Our Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
At this point in time we are THE BEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. Even stranger than that is the fact that vegas will probably be in that position in an hour. What a strange world we are living in :dumbo:

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Just goes to show that maybe Bednar wasn't the issue, but all the old decrepit "leaders" were.

Many of us have criticised Bednar in strong terms. Based on the team’s play last year it seemed only fair. Right now tough it certainly seems like he deserves the benefit of the doubt given how the team has performed to begin the season. However, I’d like to have a bigger sample size before I can believe he is capable of coaching well at the highest level.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I can't post it because I'm on my phone now but you guys have to check out Chambers' post game video where he asks Zadorov about his "first career goal." Zadorov's response and the look on his face is great.

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
Great character win by the Avs! It's so good to see them beat those cheap shot ducks! Let's keep it goinggggg

Reactions: S3rkie

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
4 things.

Refs ******* sucked. Sad!

That was the most dominant game in a long time. Also probably the most angry I've seen the crowd since Ovy dived that one game 3 years ago and we all booed him.

This team, dare I say, may just be good.

Look out for flash sales. My buddy got us lower bowl for 15 bucks, post fees. They wouldn't say where the tickets were before they were bought, but they wound up being the best seats I've had in years. For less than the price of 2 beers. Legit. I think he picked them up just a few hours before puck drop too!

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Just goes to show that maybe Bednar wasn't the issue, but all the old decrepit "leaders" were.
I'm not ready to call for his contract to be extended yet, but I have noticed some stuff about the way they play that has me feeling good. I'm not much of an X's and O's guy, but maybe @henchman24 can illuminate this better for me.

First: they play much, much better in the neutral zone. The other team just walked over the blueline last year, this year it's been quicksand for them. Defense starts in the neutral zone and I think this explains the lower shots against totals.

The offensive zone looks very different too. This is probably Bennett's influence, since that's his job, but I see a lot more movement. I don't see structure so much as strategy. Players without the puck are looking to get open, and this creates a lot more movement and confusion among the defense, which is leading to these scoring chances.

The power play looks like it involves a lot more movement, which again tires out the penalty killers and creates space for somebody to get a chance. Hopefully the percentage will go up as the year goes on and they get more comfortable with this scheme.

Maybe that's just Bennett coming in and putting his experience to work. Best case scenario is Bednar acknowledging that he needs help and letting Bennett take charge of that, or even going back to the drawing board and figuring out some things he did wrong. Too early to say, last year's hot start is still fresh in my memory, but at least it looks different to my (untrained) eye.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I can't post it because I'm on my phone now but you guys have to check out Chambers' post game video where he asks Zadorov about his "first career goal." Zadorov's response and the look on his face is great.
Hahaha just watched it, I love Z so much. This team is really starting to have a lot of great personalities.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Looks like this team is developing the same chemistry when they had ROR and Stastny on and off the ice. They are actually looking like they want to play for one another. If it becomes a same kind of young, fast team as they had with ROR and Stastny, should be exciting times. But again, i'm not gonna get my hopes up yet, it's still very early but i like what i'm seeing so far. Not only that they win games, but they actually played 3 solid games in a row where they didn't rely on goalie to bail them out.

Reactions: S3rkie

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
chart (2).png

Corsi for the game. Avs with a ridiculous 83 shot attempts on net while Anaheim didn't even crack 40. Domination in every sense of the word.

Even strength was somewhat closer at 55-28 but still a purely dominant performance.

This is the important thing about the Avs this year IMO. Not just that we're scoring goals and winning games. But we are deserving of these wins and controlling the pace of the game.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
When you look at the whole corsi thing, it's all about effort. Being fast and first to loose pucks, hustling every shift, when you have the puck more than the opposition, you'll win the corsi and a lot of the times the game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad