GDT: Game 5: Avs vs Ducks | Friday, October 13, 2017 | 7 PM MT | Just Our Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
The biggest difference between last year and this year is simply the way we are playing the game as a unit of 5. We transition from defence to offense almost instantaneously. Last year we would get hemmed in our zone for extended periods of time 5-6 times each game and had to consistently rely on our goalies to win us any games.

We are much faster this year, and making better decisions with the puck in the neutral zone. I also like that MacKinnon, Landy, and Duchene are all on separate lines surrounded by good complimentary players. This allows us to give each of the 3 lines one dangerous weapon.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Is it me or Barry looks considerably bigger this year?

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I haven't even completed watching the game by now but I know the result. And although this can't and won't go on forever I'm shocked by how good the Avs were. Wonderful hockey. They had the definitely best shift I've ever seen the Avs play (I've only been able to actually watch them play for 10 years or so) in the 2nd period and in almost every shift (allow me a bit of hyperbole) they showed one or two special things. Keep on going, Avs, this is way more than I expected for this season.

Edit: If everybody were healthy Greer would be in instead of Comeau. Can you believe this? What a team this can be if they keep it up.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I can't imagine anyone posting here is unhappy that the Avs are winning, but let's try and keep at least some things in perspective. It's great that they're 4-1, but through the first 4 games last year they were 3-1, 9-9 though 18, and then a horrendous spiral happened.

Again, it's great that they're winning and that the young guys are overall looking good, but the season is still really young.

I dunno mate. It just...hmmmm...FEELS different. Just doesn't feel like our players are playing above their abilities, which I felt was happening when we were successful at points last season, which reads to me as sustainability. After the first two games, it also seems like whatever system we are playing, appears to be working, and that we don't require goalie god to occur for a win. Team all seems to pulling in the same direction, and everyone looks like they are having fun.

I'm not going to argue with you though, because you are probably being much closer to being right than I am. Long season, and even the very best teams have huge ebbs and flows sometimes.

I said it in the last GDT though mate, I am loving the culture at the moment from the team, to us fans. Only half as much negativity. There are most certainly some positive signs.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I dunno mate. It just...hmmmm...FEELS different. Just doesn't feel like our players are playing above their abilities, which I felt was happening when we were successful at points last season, which reads to me as sustainability. After the first two games, it also seems like whatever system we are playing, appears to be working, and that we don't require goalie god to occur for a win. Team all seems to pulling in the same direction, and everyone looks like they are having fun.

I'm not going to argue with you though, because you are probably being much closer to being right than I am. Long season, and even the very best teams have huge ebbs and flows sometimes.

I said it in the last GDT though mate, I am loving the culture at the moment from the team, to us fans. Only half as much negativity. There are most certainly some positive signs.
It doesn't only feel different. It looks very different. It's really easy to see. Just watch the first games of 2016/17 again and then watch this season's games 3-today. It's completely different hockey. Things can change and I absolutely understand doubters because I'm not able to totally buy in myself but this is a much better team with much more experienced and better understood coaching than last year. Can the Avs keep it up? I doubt it. Still, people who talk like this team was similar to last year's team should quit watching hockey or at least posting about it (would be so nice in some cases) right now because they are really, really stupid.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

I'm waiting to see how these guys handle some losses. Can they keep the energy and fun up all year after a losing streak and some adversity (I guess it's more like can Bednar keep them motivated)? From the time I've followed this team (Sacco's last year) it seems these guys get really high when doing good, but really low when things start going bad.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Who do you guys think has been better, Barrie or EJ? I'm leaning towards Barrie personally, he seems to really to be coming into his own in both the offensive and defensive end.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Barrie, apart from the gaffe on Marchand's goal he has been absolutely stellar, pushing the play, always first on the puck, looks better on the PP, better gap control defensively, he just looks like a complete player.

On another note, the PP is night and day compared to the one under Army, can't believe how long he lasted here with such ineptitude.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
It doesn't only feel different. It looks very different. It's really easy to see. Just watch the first games of 2016/17 again and then watch this season's games 3-today. It's completely different hockey. Things can change and I absolutely understand doubters because I'm not able to totally buy in myself but this is a much better team with much more experienced and better understood coaching than last year. Can the Avs keep it up? I doubt it. Still, people who talk like this team was similar to last year's team should quit watching hockey or at least posting about it (would be so nice in some cases) right now because they are really, really stupid.
I want to apologize for calling people stupid for having different opinions than me. I was drunk and fired up after watching the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad