GDT: Game 5: Avs vs Ducks | Friday, October 13, 2017 | 7 PM MT | Just Our Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Great game. A lot of fun to watch. I'm usually pretty positive about this team but just a few words of caution...two of the teams we played were missing their two top centers. In the case of the Ducks they were also missing two top-4 dmen. With that being said this team plays a lot more the "right way" and their mental game is miles better than the past years.

The youth, speed and skills we added up front has made a ton of difference but let's not forget about the impact that Nemeth has had on this team as well. Bigras as well. And Z is taking another step also. The speed, mobility and puck-moving ability we have added to the back end is having as much an impact if not more than at FWDs.

Way to go guys and keep up the good work.

For me the health of EJ and Varly is the biggest factor for our resurgence followed by seamless fit of Nemeth with Barrie. For years I was always beating the drum for Barrie to be paired with a big mobile SAH D and it finally happened with a waiver wire pickup of all things. Talk about found money in Nemeth but we now have a legit top 4 D for the first time in a long time. Now I want to see how where this new and improved top 4 is by game 20.

Reactions: 21

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Soderberg should convince everyone to wear a welding mask like he does.

It’s kind of nice MacKinnon is rested on a back to back.

Reactions: 21 and AnimalFear

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think the Avs get pounded tonight. As a big time sports gambler, I've learned that a game like last night was a big emotional victory. Mackinnon goes down early, game gets chippy as hell, referees screw the Avs out of a few goals, Avs end up taking the lead real late and then to top ot off the very lovable big z scores a highlight reel empty netter that the guys loved. Unfortunately teams tend to not follow those emotional wins up very well and generally get beat. Plus the Avs are doing it on a b2b with travel.

A prime example of this is your hometown Nuggets. Durant returned to OKC with Golden State and it was talked up a lot by the media and all that jazz. Players put everything on the line and GS ended up coming out on top. A couple of nights later the the great Warriors go into Denver and get throbbed by the Nugs. I won a lot of money because if this :laugh:

Hoping for a win, but predicting a bomb job against us.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
4-1-0

SHOW ME THE MONEYYYYYYYY !

People, is Sea Eagles as dumb as everyone made him out to be in the off season?

I can't imagine anyone posting here is unhappy that the Avs are winning, but let's try and keep at least some things in perspective. It's great that they're 4-1, but through the first 4 games last year they were 3-1, 9-9 though 18, and then a horrendous spiral happened.

Again, it's great that they're winning and that the young guys are overall looking good, but the season is still really young.

Reactions: Avs44

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I think the Avs get pounded tonight. As a big time sports gambler, I've learned that a game like last night was a big emotional victory. Mackinnon goes down early, game gets chippy as hell, referees screw the Avs out of a few goals, Avs end up taking the lead real late and then to top ot off the very lovable big z scores a highlight reel empty netter that the guys loved. Unfortunately teams tend to not follow those emotional wins up very well and generally get beat. Plus the Avs are doing it on a b2b with travel.

A prime example of this is your hometown Nuggets. Durant returned to OKC with Golden State and it was talked up a lot by the media and all that jazz. Players put everything on the line and GS ended up coming out on top. A couple of nights later the the great Warriors go into Denver and get throbbed by the Nugs. I won a lot of money because if this :laugh:

Sorry man, but there is something different with this team.

The Stars’ daddy will also be in net tonight for the Avs.

Reactions: The Shermanator

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I agree that this season is young and it's way too soon to be saying we've turned the corner, and it's subjective but personally I feel like there's a different vibe with this group. I don't think this team is as good as their record indicates, but definitely not as bad as last season, and that this could be the start of something good instead of the constant '2 steps forward, 4 steps back' Avs.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

As a gambler I got money on Dallas tonight. The x factor....Varly

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Sounds like Kento has a gambling problem. Seek help! ;)

I just saw Z's interview with Chambers after the game. Too good. You can tell all the players think he's a clown.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Probably very emotional game for Nemeth vs Dallas. I bet he feels fantastic now playing for Colorado though, great start.

Today I had to pay for overpriced second market ticket for the Stockholm game ;-) will be fun watching the game with my daughter.

After the Avs fantastic start of the season I simply had to get tickets. Also after getting Nemeth, a player I have followed pretty close, actually talked sometimes to his father when Patrik was young.

Don't be too tough on Nemeth ;-) he is the kind of rock who many times will be the last man standing, strong stay at home type of d-man. This doesn't mean he will stop all 2-1 breakaways on his own though. He may not become a star but all teams need a player like Nemeth.

Last edited:

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Wow, what another wonderful game ! Just finished watching the entire thing on NHL TV. Rants and Ghetto really have some great chemistry together (they were finding each other all game long). Landeskog had a really solid game (I was really pleased with his effort) and that play where Zads ducked the check behind the Avs net only to have the two Anaheim players run into each other was hilarious (and then he went up the ice and almost scored :laugh:).

Still love Nemeth just as much but would like to see Lindholm back in the line-up for next game. Really glad Mackinnon's alright and getting Jost back for the Nashville game would be sweet !

The team is so so fun to watch right now ! When is the last time they've outshot their opponents by this much for this long ? Feels like forever.

Reactions: 21

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Players don't stay young forever and teams don't win Stanley Cups with super young rosters. I prefer to think that it's the beginning of a culture change than strictly an age thing.
I think this is a great point. The Altitude crew and some of the comments coming out in the media now point to a very dysfunctional group in the past.

It's nice to have fun again. We know there will be ups and downs. It's nice our entire top line didn't end up injured. But as long as they keep putting in a good effort things will be more enjoyable.

Reactions: MacBradley

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think this is a great point. The Altitude crew and some of the comments coming out in the media now point to a very dysfunctional group in the past.
It's obvious there was some kind of locker room cancer last year and I'm sure that some of the moves we've seen this summer and at the beginning of the season are related in part to off ice issues.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's obvious there was some kind of locker room cancer last year and I'm sure that some of the moves we've seen this summer and at the beginning of the season are related in part to off ice issues.

Based on the hit I saw Soderberg land on Francois last night in the third I think its clear who was hated in that room.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's more likely that the eye swelled and teared up so much it was hard to see in the moment. Very much doubt they would clear him that quickly if he actually lost vision. That would require him going to hospital and having a lot of tests.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm no doctor but I think losing your vision temporarily is common when your eyeball gets pushed in.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
The best thing so far is that it looks like everyone is pulling in the same direction.

I'm so glad MacK is fine, that was scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad