GDT: Game 31: Avs @ Wild | 6 PM MT | December 20, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Well at least we get to watch Tyson Jost at the WJC! Avs are the laughing stock of the NHL right now.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs do look like a team that can't score. They don't create a lot of scoring chances. They barely have any odd man rushes. The PP look weak. Normally when a team get shut out you feel they had bad luck or the other goalie was hot. Not this Avs. They have deserved most of the six shutouts their opponents had.

I understand why MacKinnon and Duchene go on these solo raids, but it's so easy for the other team to shut it down. I wish Avs would go back to trying to move up the ice as five. The transition game was much better early in the year.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm not on board with Fire Bednar just yet, but he has been massively disappointing so far. I can see how his D zone system could work with smarter defensemen, but the offensive zone is just garbage, one dimensional, and smothers any creativity. I think it's designed to get a cycle set up, but it can never get that far because they always whack it around the boards for a turnover or bring it back to the D for a low-percentage shot attempt. Teams have figured it out and it's infuriating to watch. Say what you will about Roy's score-off-the-rush plan, at least it yielded more than two goals per game.

And to think, we all wanted a coach who would drill structure into these players, and the first attempt at it has yielded these results.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Avs do look like a team that can't score. They don't create a lot of scoring chances. They barely have any odd man rushes. The PP look weak. Normally when a team get shut out you feel they had bad luck or the other goalie was hot. Not this Avs. They have deserved most of the six shutouts their opponents had.

I understand why MacKinnon and Duchene go on these solo raids, but it's so easy for the other team to shut it down. I wish Avs would go back to trying to move up the ice as five. The transition game was much better early in the year.

You know there's a problem scoring when Jarome Iginla attempts to do it solo-style multiple times in a game when he can hardly skate anymore

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You'd have to give me tickets to go see this team right now since I'd have to also drive to Denver and pay for parking, thats about the only way I'd go. I'll happily UPS one my knockoff jerseys for someone to throw on the ice for me though.

This is exactly what I would do lol, CHEAPO knock off jerseys thrown on the ice just like the knock off team wearing the real ones.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Once again, this one wasn't even close. I gave up after the second period, didn't watch the 3rd. Went in with zero expectations, but still can't handle getting dominated by the Mild.

What we are witnessing night-in and night-out is the worst team in the league. Comfortably the worst.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think I have seen one of the last ten games... That isn't usual for me. Just how apathetic I am towards this team right now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Anyone else really wish we had done this in a draft like last year where there was a Laine after #1 O/A? Omg could we use a player like him, or a Jones drafting 4th O/A.

I'll admit I hate crapping on this draft completely, but I really wish there was a couple serious franchise assets in the top four or so.

These guys all seems like top line guys, but more of what we have. Top line, but not anyone who is a #1 at their position on a Cup team.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Anyone else really wish we had done this in a draft like last year where there was a Laine after #1 O/A? Omg could we use a player like him, or a Jones drafting 4th O/A.

I'll admit I hate crapping on this draft completely, but I really wish there was a couple serious franchise assets in the top four or so.

These guys all seems like top line guys, but more of what we have. Top line, but not anyone who is a #1 at their position on a Cup team.

Of course...and it's making this particular season painfully, enduringly long.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

What can ya do though? It is what it is. If they planned for this then maybe you'd ask why but they didn't. They can always purposely tank next year if they want the gift of a franchise cornerstone. So all is not lost lol. We need talent, all kinds so it doesn't bother me. Plus this is a good draft for mid round picks so that part might lineup if they can get anything going in their yard sale.

I get it, getting a Laine or whatever makes things easier but what they need right now isn't exactly the easy thing or to luck into something. They need to devise a plan and build the right way. They need to identify talent and figure out how it works into the plan going forward. That's the only way they are ever going to get out of this. One elite guy isn't going to do that either.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
I'm not on board with Fire Bednar just yet, but he has been massively disappointing so far. I can see how his D zone system could work with smarter defensemen, but the offensive zone is just garbage, one dimensional, and smothers any creativity.

I would want to give him atleast one offseason where he can set up his team.

I would just trade everybody away, except Mac, Rants, Picks and Zads. Go in full rebuild, let us suffer 2 more years and then get it right. Just like Toronto did.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Z finally cracked 20 minutes. Barrie played 28:35 :amazed: Mack played 23:30, I didn't think he was out there that much.

Maybe that's what's wrong with Barrie, he's exhausted. Also, Wier didn't finish the game after Duchene hit him.

Last edited:

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
As for those advocating trading Duchene, you're all ******* insane and need to take a hike. He's about the only one who made a real effort aside from Varly and he was hung out to dry yet again.

Duchene has 12 goals in 27 games
the longest he has gone without scoring a goal this season is 5 games, no more than 3 games any other time

Patrick Kane has 10 goals in 34 games
he went 9 games without scoring a goal at one stretch

Toews has 4 goals in 25 games
he has gone 8 games without a goal and most recently 13 games and counting

Chicago sits atop the league (with a goalie who has played 16 games and only has 59 games of NHL regular season experience)
We hold court in the basement

Matt Duchene is not and has never been the problem

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

I wish they did this in 2015 when they could of drafted McDavid, but yeah,.last year would of been another good year for a last place finish. This team can't do anything right at all

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I see Bednar is blaming the PP again for this loss. What was his excuse the last game? At what point he starts telling as it is, that his team is flat out embarrassment. Start showing some emotion instead of trying to find excuse after excuse after every loss.

Makkeli

May 1, 2009
Finland
Pathetic. Didn't watch the game, but I think it tells something when watching the extended highlight video and there wasn't single Avs attack in there, only scoring chances from Minny :D

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Didn't even watch the highlights. I feel too empty for it. Wild on 8 game winning streak doesn't make things better. Atleast the Wings will miss the play-offs, halleluja!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Man is it hard to watch these games. This feels like the worst season in Avalanche history.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
What can ya do though? It is what it is. If they planned for this then maybe you'd ask why but they didn't. They can always purposely tank next year if they want the gift of a franchise cornerstone. So all is not lost lol. We need talent, all kinds so it doesn't bother me. Plus this is a good draft for mid round picks so that part might lineup if they can get anything going in their yard sale.

I get it, getting a Laine or whatever makes things easier but what they need right now isn't exactly the easy thing or to luck into something. They need to devise a plan and build the right way. They need to identify talent and figure out how it works into the plan going forward. That's the only way they are ever going to get out of this. One elite guy isn't going to do that either.

Exactly!! Even If we lucked into McDavid I think this management would find a way to mess things up. We need a proper plan, proper people behind executing it.

At least Roy is gone. He was certainly pushing this team to skip the re-build and keep going forward with these old bums. That was certainly his idea. He probably wanted to make moves to open space for Radulov, which would have improved our team, BUT not enough. We would have been still terrible. This team is not ready to win and we need to get rid of this short-term thinking and being plaoyff bubble team. Being playoff bubble team for last 10 years SUCKS. It's the worst possible spot to be in sports. You just keep getting knocked out in first round or barely make playoffs and you get okayish draft picks, but nothing special unless you get lucky (rantanen).

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Bednar is clearly not Eakins when it comes to some things. But I do really think he might be one and done if the team continues to look this bad. His game plan sucks. Yes the players are at fault too. But you still have talent on the roster that seem handcuffed. The team can score. It did for Roy. New coach and now they can't? Seems like the system/plan to me. I think Bednar gets demoted if things stay the course.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I'd say the 12-13 season was worse, but at least it was short.

It would be almost over by now. It wasn't that painful and I was still able to watch games even though we sucked. Our team is less entertaining now than it was back then. We are so ****** boring team. Couple years ago I was excited about Colorado's game, because we had Duchene/MacK, but even those guys cant get me excited anymore. It's so boring now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad