GDT: Game 31: Avs @ Wild | 6 PM MT | December 20, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I'm seriously considering bringing a dead fish to the rink on Thursday and throwing it on the ice if they get shutout again.

Thanks Hench

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
My buddy and I were joking about going to the game wearing paper bags on our heads. But I really don't want to spend money on this team.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Even during the Sacco era I never felt this despondent. I know we have some bright pieces on the way, but my optimism is dead and buried.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
You'd have to give me tickets to go see this team right now since I'd have to also drive to Denver and pay for parking, thats about the only way I'd go. I'll happily UPS one my knockoff jerseys for someone to throw on the ice for me though.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Even during the Sacco era I never felt this despondent. I know we have some bright pieces on the way, but my optimism is dead and buried.

We were atleast scoring goals when Sacco was coach. I cant recall us getting shutout this many times before new years or scoring less than 2 goals this many times. We have to be breaking franchise records in the worse ways this year. Bednar is to blame for some of this by now.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Barrie cannot be at the top of the PP. Nobody is afraid of his pathetic shot. It's so easy to defend against, because other teams swarm and take away the other players. And now Comeau is in the slot?!? Makes no damn sense.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Normally, I'm not so PO'd after the Avs lose a game. But the Avs simply were awful. They played as a collection of individuals and not as a team. IMO, that falls on JB. And I'm one of the fans that is willing to give JB a lot of leeway even though I thought Roy was okay as a developing HC. Roy may not have been a good HC but what I've seen of their play recently has been pathetic.

At the very least, JB should've had the Avs playing the game so they didn't look like they even knew the basic fundamentals of the game. I'd rather see some consistency in the Avs improving their overall play even at the expense of winning. But neither is happening.

The Avs PP sucked yet again. I don't know if Army is still in charge of coaching the PP but whoever it is should be fired asap. The PP has been absolutely inept. I'm so PO'd that we, as fans, have to continue to put up with this ****. This is getting as bad as it was when Sacco was the HC.

As for those advocating trading Duchene, you're all ******* insane and need to take a hike. He's about the only one who made a real effort aside from Varly and he was hung out to dry yet again. How many shots did Varly stop while the Avs were on the PP? Wait, don't tell me or I'll barf again.

Right now, I wish I could cancel my partial season tix. If I was at a team meet and greet I'd tell every last one of them, including the coaches, that they are a disgrace.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
We were atleast scoring goals when Sacco was coach. I cant recall us getting shutout this many times before new years or scoring less than 2 goals this many times. We have to be breaking franchise records in the worse ways this year. Bednar is to blame for some of this by now.

It doesn't matter who the coach is, the players will need to shoulder their fair share of the blame. Could Bednar be better? I absolutely think so, yes. Henchy has covered some things in other threads that I wholeheartedly agree with when it comes to what I think Bednar CAN improve upon. However the players still have to play, and the simple truth is as someone put it a while back--the "core players" simply aren't good enough on a consistent basis to carry the team, and the depth players aren't good enough to compensate when the "core players" are in a rough patch. It's a bad mix.

The solution isn't easy, and I don't envy Sakic and MacFarland right now. I think some of the core players should go (for a variety of reasons), and I'd build the team around MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, and Zadorov (as you young-ish NHL roster talent). We have Jost coming into the fold soon, and I do think Greer and Compher will be back up after the Trade Deadline (if not sooner), and provided Bigras didn't forget how to play hockey because he hasn't in so long, I think he'll be up as well.

DenverBoone

Oct 5, 2008
Bednar is going to get axed soon. I feel sorry for him. It's just too bad right now for him to survive. I mean, these are supposed to be professional athletes.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Bednar is going to get axed soon. I feel sorry for him. It's just too bad right now for him to survive. I mean, these are supposed to be professional athletes.

Bednar won't get axed until at least the half-way point next season, and that's if things are still this bad next season.

I'm not making excuses for this team, but Sakic could easily rationalize it as:

Landeskog missing significant time, EJ being out for 2-3 months, Varlamov dealing with recurring groin issues all coupled with Bednar being hired so late in the off-season and not having proper time to assess everything

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo

That definitely played a big part of it. Even though we sucked, we typically went down swinging. Now we're the hockey equivalent of narcolepsy.

That, and there were big-name top picks to get excited about back then. I know people are of the belief that this year's crop has some underrated depth to it, but our two best-case scenarios in reward for enduring this season are either injured or impossible to watch.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
We've scored 18 goals in the last 10 games. 36 goals against. Shutout twice. Scored 1 goal in 3 of those games.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It doesn't matter who the coach is, the players will need to shoulder their fair share of the blame. Could Bednar be better? I absolutely think so, yes. Henchy has covered some things in other threads that I wholeheartedly agree with when it comes to what I think Bednar CAN improve upon. However the players still have to play, and the simple truth is as someone put it a while back--the "core players" simply aren't good enough on a consistent basis to carry the team, and the depth players aren't good enough to compensate when the "core players" are in a rough patch. It's a bad mix.

The solution isn't easy, and I don't envy Sakic and MacFarland right now. I think some of the core players should go (for a variety of reasons), and I'd build the team around MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, and Zadorov (as you young-ish NHL roster talent). We have Jost coming into the fold soon, and I do think Greer and Compher will be back up after the Trade Deadline (if not sooner), and provided Bigras didn't forget how to play hockey because he hasn't in so long, I think he'll be up as well.

Bednar can't improve anything with this team, the improvement has to come from a GM. How many coaches this team has gone through already? Gotta blow it up and rebuild this team again and I don't think Sakic is the man for that job. It's not gonna be easy fixing this mess and they need a top notch GM to do so.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
We've scored 18 goals in the last 10 games. 36 goals against. Shutout twice. Scored 1 goal in 3 of those games.

Sure wish this team had a reporter with the cojones to get a response to that kind of statline. They need something, anything, to wake them up even a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad