GDT: Game 31: Avs @ Wild | 6 PM MT | December 20, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Bednar is clearly not Eakins when it comes to some things. But I do really think he might be one and done if the team continues to look this bad. His game plan sucks. Yes the players are at fault too. But you still have talent on the roster that seem handcuffed. The team can score. It did for Roy. New coach and now they can't? Seems like the system/plan to me. I think Bednar gets demoted if things stay the course.

I dont blame Bednar one bit. Roy left him in impossible spot. Did anybody really expect good things to happen after Roy left couple weeks before season? I think Bednar deserves real chance next season. Through history he has been very good coach, but now he was put into TERRIBLE situation, just terrible. Basically these players gave up at the same time when Roy left. Roy basically said, they are not good enough and thats how they look now.. Team with no self-confidence.

Sure, If Bednar doesnt work for first 20 games next season, he has to be fired, but I think he deserves his good chance..

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
In ways this is more depressing than in the past. When the Avs were really bad in the pre-Duchene era there were literally no stars on the team. Now the Avs are terrible with several supposed star players, shows the progress we've made over the last several years.

I think you must have started watching sometime after Duchene was drafted. The year before Duchene was drafted, the Avs roster included Joe Sakic, Milan Hejduk, Paul Stastny, Adam Foote, Ryan Smyth...

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
What I don't understand right now is the apparent general apathy from everyone involved with the team. We can barely score. We once again have a horrid defense. We're not surrounding our best players with any kind of capable support. If as fans we can see all these things, does no one involved with the franchise care to do anything about it? Are Sakic, MacFarland, Bednar, etc., with all their experience and hockey knowledge, really this oblivious or inept? Make a kneejerk trade. Demote someone who deserves it. But instead, night after night, fans are subjected to putrid performance after putrid performance, while the people in positions to make a change do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I genuinely do not understand how most people employed with this organization are even picking up a paycheck at this point.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Bednar isn't perfect and he has contributed to the issues, but this isn't his fault. A lot of blame to go around and a lot of it is on the players (though Bednar needs to work more on getting some players going).

It is interesting to note that Roy's worst amount of points after 31 games was 28... Avs currently have 23. I believe that is the worst total after 31 games since the Avs moved from Quebec.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Bednar isn't perfect and he has contributed to the issues, but this isn't his fault. A lot of blame to go around and a lot of it is on the players (though Bednar needs to work more on getting some players going).

This is exactly my beef: Bednar doesn't need to work on getting some players going - he needed to do that 2 months ago. It's quickly becoming too late for that. What Bednar needs to do is bench some guys who aren't going to like being benched. Tough ****, play less horribly and you'll get your playing time back. Someone, ANYONE, involved with decision making on this team needs to MAKE. A. DECISION. We're no longer treading water at this point, we are flailing and drowning.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
What I don't understand right now is the apparent general apathy from everyone involved with the team. We can barely score. We once again have a horrid defense. We're not surrounding our best players with any kind of capable support. If as fans we can see all these things, does no one involved with the franchise care to do anything about it? Are Sakic, MacFarland, Bednar, etc., with all their experience and hockey knowledge, really this oblivious or inept? Make a kneejerk trade. Demote someone who deserves it. But instead, night after night, fans are subjected to putrid performance after putrid performance, while the people in positions to make a change do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I genuinely do not understand how most people employed with this organization are even picking up a paycheck at this point.

What? No DON'T do that.

Other GMs are just waiting for Sakic to flinch now and he's going to be eaten alive in a trade. We need to win trades not lose trades.:shakehead

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I dont blame Bednar one bit. Roy left him in impossible spot. Did anybody really expect good things to happen after Roy left couple weeks before season? I think Bednar deserves real chance next season. Through history he has been very good coach, but now he was put into TERRIBLE situation, just terrible. Basically these players gave up at the same time when Roy left .

That's an interesting thought.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I blame the scrubs for dragging the spirit of the rest of the team down.
Exactly.

That damn Goloubef. They bring him in here and the team completely craps the bed. He's gotten into everyone's heads so bad the top offensive players can't even get a decent shot on net on the powerplay anymore let alone score a goal.

If only they had picked up Shea Weber to fill that 6th/7th Dman role.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The team pretty much knew Roy quit because he knew he couldn't win with them, is it really any wonder that they are fragile? If they ever get a lead the team plays ok but get down two goals it's pack it in.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
They were mentally fragile even before, how many times did they unravel at the sight of first trouble under Roy as well? Roy leaving in that manner didn't help, but they were ruined even before.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
One of the reasons for the Roy split was likely due to Roy wanting to address the fragility of the team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
By doing what? This team if choke-full of mentally fragile players. Moving a Duchene wouldn't fix anything.

He wanted to move more than just Duchene... and Duchene is in the group of mentally fragile players.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
He wanted to move more than just Duchene... and Duchene is in the group of mentally fragile players.

I would be to if I had to carry the scrubs I was paired with night in and night out

WCH must have been one of the few times recently it actually felt good to play the sport he loves

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I would be to if I had to carry the scrubs I was paired with night in and night out

WCH must have been one of the few times recently it actually felt good to play the sport he loves

Didn't know Mikko, MacK, and Landy were scrubs (those are 3 of his most common linemates).

Duchene literally spent half the season with MacK last year and has over half the season with Rants this year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Who did he want to move? For what? Who else on the team is mentally fragile?

cff.png

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
The mentally fragile thing is such a cop-out. You're professional athletes on multi-million dollar contracts, if you can't handle the pressure go get a desk job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad