GDT: Game 31: Avs @ Wild | 6 PM MT | December 20, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The mentally fragile thing is such a cop-out. You're professional athletes on multi-million dollar contracts, if you can't handle the pressure go get a desk job.

What desk job are hockey players going to get that pays millions of dollars?

detrude

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Apr 23, 2007
The mentally fragile thing is such a cop-out. You're professional athletes on multi-million dollar contracts, if you can't handle the pressure go get a desk job.

It's true, though. This team curls up and takes it on the chin at the slightest hint of adversity, and it's been that way for years. It looked like maybe they'd turn it around in the 13-14 season, but the loss to Minnesota made things worse.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I would want to give him atleast one offseason where he can set up his team.

I would just trade everybody away, except Mac, Rants, Picks and Zads. Go in full rebuild, let us suffer 2 more years and then get it right. Just like Toronto did.

And after 2 years our supposed players are so much better than the core we have right now?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Maybe it wouldn't have been such a bad thing

As one of Roy's defenders around here, I'm not sure that's a wholly accurate statement. I think there are players I would have agreed with moving, and players that I would've disagreed with moving.

Yeah, I believed then (just as I do now) that the players need to shoulder their fair share of blame--I said as much at the time, but he also needed to perform better (had he stuck around for this season). The whole thing is a mess, and the coaching needs to be better, and the players need to be better (all of them, core or otherwise). Let's hope that with a full offseason, the Avs can make moves that they believe will help them become a better team equipped to be sustained over the next several seasons, along with Bednar getting an offseason to make any changes to his staff or prepare a full plan going forward.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
cff.png

It's not it's a genuine question. You don't have to answer the first two, but genuinely curious to see who you think is mentally fragile on the team? Because if Duchene is (not disagreeing) then so are Landeskog who gets his temper get the better of him and EJ especially, who spirals out of control every time he does one bad thing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's not it's a genuine question. You don't have to answer the first two, but genuinely curious to see who you think is mentally fragile on the team? Because if Duchene is (not disagreeing) then so are Landeskog who gets his temper get the better of him and EJ especially, who spirals out of control every time he does one bad thing.

A good portion of the team is. Duchene is probably the biggest (the funks he gets into are really bad). EJ probably follows him. Varly has his moments. Soda is one where if he gets in the dumps and isn't played like he wants, he just gives up.

I wouldn't say Landy is mentally fragile, but he does let his temper get the best of him. I'd say those are different things. When it counts, you normally see Landy playing his best.

Roy would have made some big changes in the summer if it was up to him. I don't think everybody would have been happy, but some would and this team would have 4-6 different players on it now.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
A good portion of the team is. Duchene is probably the biggest (the funks he gets into are really bad). EJ probably follows him. Varly has his moments. Soda is one where if he gets in the dumps and isn't played like he wants, he just gives up.

I wouldn't say Landy is mentally fragile, but he does let his temper get the best of him. I'd say those are different things. When it counts, you normally see Landy playing his best.

Roy would have made some big changes in the summer if it was up to him. I don't think everybody would have been happy, but some would and this team would have 4-6 different players on it now.

Lol Soderberg doesn't even try to hide it either

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
would love examples of such, please enlighten

They're pretty easy to spot. Though it doesn't happen as frequently as it used to, whenever Duchene would get into long slumps he would go into this mode of trying to do everything himself and take everyone on while spinning multiple times down low in the corner and then getting frustrated upon it not working. He's also been vocal (not in a good way) towards the refs

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They're pretty easy to spot. Though it doesn't happen as frequently as it used to, whenever Duchene would get into long slumps he would go into this mode of trying to do everything himself and take everyone on while spinning multiple times down low in the corner and then getting frustrated upon it not working. He's also been vocal (not in a good way) towards the refs

And when he breaks a bad streak, you can see him celebrate like the weight of the world has been lifted off (member monkey off the back celebration). He also has a tendency to disappear and plays a very perimeter game when he isn't confident.

He does try to address it (his work with a sports psychologist) and it has improved, but he isn't a strong mental player. When something starts going wrong it snowballs and he becomes near useless until it stops.

Confidence and mental strength have ALWAYS been issues with Duchene. Even going back to his junior days.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
And when he breaks a bad streak, you can see him celebrate like the weight of the world has been lifted off (member monkey off the back celebration). He also has a tendency to disappear and plays a very perimeter game when he isn't confident.

He does try to address it (his work with a sports psychologist) and it has improved, but he isn't a strong mental player. When something starts going wrong it snowballs and he becomes near useless until it stops.

Confidence and mental strength have ALWAYS been issues with Duchene. Even going back to his junior days.

Oh, I member.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Still, even with his stretches of subpar play he is the best point producer on the team.

Pretty much this. Yeah Duchene gets down on himself during slumps and it's very visible but Mack is just the same (beginning of this year for example) and Lando goes through big stretches where he is very invisible and plays a perimeter game. To me, Duchene is the least of our worries and Roy wanting to trade him last year seemed like he was looking for a scapegoat for the season spiraling like it did (the 30 goal celebration made him an easy target too).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

One million percent in agreement here.

Just because players are awarded with multi-million dollar contracts doesn't mean that their money "hides" their flaws. Every person on the planet has different traits in terms of character and personality. Some people have "natural born leader" characteristics like Toews has. Others are born with emotions that affect their mental toughness, making them second guess everything. It is just a matter of life and why we love watching sports in general, for the human element to be part of it. What we've seen from not only Duchene, but the Avs as a whole is a very immature team who rides high, highs and low, lows. There hasn't been one single aspect where the team has been consistent and it wasn't a fluke. The last time where they actually played well and deserved their record was honestly the 2003-2004 season and half of the players on this team were mini-mites.

If posters want to stick with this core (the bare bones of just MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene, Zadorov, Jost, and Rantanen), we're going to have to pull an Oilers and suck for probably three more seasons to gain all the depth through the draft.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Duchene does kinda remind me of Tanguay in some ways. Immense talent but it sure feels like flagging confidence and/or an injury derail him for stretches seemingly every season.

And I completely agree on Soderberg. He's dogging it right now on purpose and I can't stand the sight of him. I'm pretty sure he's now bumped Bates Battaglia off the top of my list for least favorite Avs players of all time. I cannot wait for him to be off the damned roster.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Duchene does kinda remind me of Tanguay in some ways. Immense talent but it sure feels like flagging confidence and/or an injury derail him for stretches seemingly every season.

And I completely agree on Soderberg. He's dogging it right now on purpose and I can't stand the sight of him. I'm pretty sure he's now bumped Bates Battaglia off the top of my list for least favorite Avs players of all time. I cannot wait for him to be off the damned roster.

Bates Battaglia. lol!

I watched that guy win the Amazing race one year.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

I wouldn't say Roy was mentally fragile when he got MAD at that referee on purpose, more likely trying to spark the team just like Landeskog

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
And this group of mentally fragile players is the core people want to hang on to? Fascinating!

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I wouldn't say Roy was mentally fragile when he got MAD at that referee on purpose, more likely trying to spark the team just like Landeskog

Playing mad, and crossing the line aren't same things. Landeskog costed the team on numerous occasions by taking penalties and getting suspended. I want our guys to play on the edge, but it seems he tends to cross it on regular basis.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Playing mad, and crossing the line aren't same things. Landeskog costed the team on numerous occasions by taking penalties and getting suspended. I want our guys to play on the edge, but it seems he tends to cross it on regular basis.

I don't mind seeing occasional penalty or suspension. At least they are playing hard. Now our team looks more team full of kittens. No fight, just play. Landy is the only sandpaper we have. We are too easy team to play against already. Actually add Zadorov, thay guy is a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad