GDT: Game 2: Knights @ Coyotes | 6:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A | 620 AM

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I was hoping to see some of what we saw the first game but that wasn't the case. They weren't nearly as aggressive or as sharp with the puck movement. Our D looks like they haven't figured out how to execute Tocc's system consistently. It might be that we just don't have enough talent on D right now because they stink clearing and pushing the puck up the ice. I wonder if the forwards weren't as good because Tocc got on them after the last game and they over compensated? You'd think they would look better against a worse team and at home. They didn't even do enough to keep the crowd involved and we certainly were ready to cheer on opening night.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Cousins does nothing for me. I'd like to see Fischer back next game.

I'd keep these two lines:

Domi - Stepan - Keller
Nook - Richardson - Rieder

And create these two lines:

Perlini - Dvorak - Duclair
Crouse - Strome - Fischer

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015
It would also be nice if we could win a face-off. Does anyone know if Keller is good in the dot? Maybe he can take them but still play his wing?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I was hoping to see some of what we saw the first game but that wasn't the case. They weren't nearly as aggressive or as sharp with the puck movement. Our D looks like they haven't figured out how to execute Tocc's system consistently. It might be that we just don't have enough talent on D right now because they stink clearing and pushing the puck up the ice. I wonder if the forwards weren't as good because Tocc got on them after the last game and they over compensated? You'd think they would look better against a worse team and at home. They didn't even do enough to keep the crowd involved and we certainly were ready to cheer on opening night.

It's not a D problem, our D is fine. It's the forwards. Tocc mentioned not having puck support in the video. Missed or late coverage all over the ice by the forwards when we don't have the puck.

Toadie

Mar 24, 2015
Calgary AB
Man, I really prefer to watch the first game, last night after the first it was like they held back their creativity. Hopelessly tried to be dminded.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's not a D problem, our D is fine. It's the forwards. Tocc mentioned not having puck support in the video. Missed or late coverage all over the ice by the forwards when we don't have the puck.
Our D is consistently unable to clear the zone and unable to make clean outlet passes/passes in their own zone. Most of the sustained pressure we are facing is because our D is making stupid choices with the puck.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

This.
Can't complain about your forwards though if you're dumb enough to play your best winger for only 11mins and bench Fischer on top of it. That was beyond stupid...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I
So I wasn't a fan of Schenn's play in the preseason but I've liked him so far now that the regular season has started.

I guess that is maybe why coaches give vets a little more leeway because the vets are proven.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This.
Can't complain about your forwards though if you're dumb enough to play your best winger for only 11mins and bench Fischer on top of it. That was beyond stupid...

Again, Rieder is not our best forward, and if you watched the first game Fischer took dumb penalties, like he did in preseason. The kid has to learn.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He looks really pedestrian now that all the players worse than him were let go. His biggest asset was being a hard worker on a team that didn't want to work for Dave Tippett.

You really do not know what you are talking about. Martinook is not here to score goals and he did a great job on the PK last night. He didn't play great, but neither did the team.

Reactions: kbay

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Again, Rieder is not our best forward, and if you watched the first game Fischer took dumb penalties, like he did in preseason. The kid has to learn.

Kevin Labanc took 3x2mins in Game 1 and if I'm not mistaken, Philly scored on all three of those PP's.
Yet Labanc was still back with the Joe's for game 2.
Gotta let the kids play. Rieder is the most reliable winger on the team and Fischer is clearly one of the better ones, too. He had a good game 1 and in fact was very good in every game he played for the Coyotes.
If I'd have anything to say, I'd lean towards Rieder and Fischer heavily. Those two and Domi. As long as the Coaches don't do this they better don't complain about their forwards.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Anytime OEL-Hammer are off the ice, the rest of the team is doing basically nothing unless they get an Ozone start. Chychrun can't come back fast enough.

Even if we have a Ozone start we can't win a FO. That is where puck possession starts and we were bad at it the first two games. We have been chasing the puck all night.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You really do not know what you are talking about. Martinook is not here to score goals and he did a great job on the PK last night. He didn't play great, but neither did the team.

Correct. If you lose 1-2 it's usually not Martinook's fault...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm pleased with the forwards and incredibly displeased with the defense. I expected the opposite this year.

Can't have 2/3rds of your pairings playing the old panic clear "good enough" style if everyone else is playing up tempo get it north hockey.

Vegas missed many open nets, they should have won regardless.

If you give up 42 SOG it's not all on the D. The D has not played well but have been under a lot of pressure because of our forwards poor puck possession and execution. The team in general has not played well.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pretty obvious the talent is not great. Team will need to find more effort if they are to win in front of Raanta. I thought the forwards would generate more opportunities, maybe some new line combinations are needed.

This is the most talent this team has had in years.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It could certainly be something physical in both cases. Especially OEL after was helped off the ice in preseason.

But if it isn't physical I guarantee it has something to do with Domi not getting an A (out of 5 no less) and OEL not getting the C. The team didn't put out those callouts in the media about guys being out of game shape for nothing. I'd certainly hope it's not 2 members of your core.
I sure hope not, those two should be key parts of our team.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Domi definitely deserved an A. But he and OEL may look out if sorts simply because of a new system and so many new faces.

It's going to take a while for the team to gel and get use to one another. The mess that is our defense is what concerns me most. They are all over the place.

Reactions: SniperHF

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
The team simply tried to Coast so as to not use all their energy like the Anaheim game. Coasted too much in the 2nd. Carried play in 3rd and overtime.

Panicked might be better word here.

Not a good start with losses against an expansion team and against a badly banged up Ducks squad missing most of their top players.
Whoever came up with the brilliant idea to scratch Fischer deserves to get fired without asking further questions. I mean...seriously?

Do you really think benching Fischer was the difference in this game?

Forwards:
Very disappointed in Stepan's intensity level this game. Very passive. Keller was noticeably less engaged as well. Though you expect that from a rookie. Not Stepan. Strome needs to show something soon. Duclair was great. Most forwards good.

Defense:
Terrible decision making. Pass first, look second mentality. Just carelessly flipping pucks wherever. Just chucking the puck where the heplays ever. Extremely undisciplined. Poor communication. Low urgency. Very loose. Ugly as hell.

Raanta:
Wow. A+

Great post. Agree 100%.

Fewer positives in this one. We talked all summer about being a "fast" team and all about how that doesn't mean fast skating necessarily but fast with the puck, fast decision making and passing. We are making very quick decisions with the puck. Way too fast. Decide first, evaluate second. Nobody is thinking about what they're doing with the puck. No look passes to nobody galore. No glancing just chucking it all over.

Almost verbatim what OEL said postgame...and he was angry! Never seen him angry before. Starting to hear leadership from him. Now need to see it.

Agree 100%. And yes we don’t have enough talent on D. We have one legit top 2 pairing and the rest are bottom 6 pairings. If anyone unsure, just watch some hockey games of other teams in the Pacific.

It would also be nice if we could win a face-off. Does anyone know if Keller is good in the dot? Maybe he can take them but still play his wing?

Don’t know how many draws he’s taken but he’s like 100% thru 2 games. Bottom line is the team has got to start winning faceoffs. IMO this is big part of reason they start to panic and sit back when other team increases pressure.

I love Reider but he only has marginally better hockey skill than Matt Lombardi. Another Coyote with elite speed and no finish. Postgame Tyson finally offered real analysis. He basically said “if Reider ever develops one move like Vrbata he would score 30 goals each year.”Until he develops such a move he will never be our best player. Toch was correct to play him on 4th line.

Reactions: rt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad