GDT: Game 2: Knights @ Coyotes | 6:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A | 620 AM

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well managed to watch about 8 minutes of the first period because FSAZ decided to run an extended DBacks post game replay about an hour over schedule. :madfire:

We didn't look that bad then so I would imagine it got worse after that. Did catch the highlights from NHL On The Fly and agree with rt about Stepan. He was puck watching in nearly every clip in the D zone.

Obviously the FO% was disastrous but couldn't help noticing the comment above about "chasing the game" because of it. Some folks are still stuck in the Dave Tippett cliche era I guess. ;) It's only the second game so it'll take time.

If you only win 30% of your FO's you WILL be chasing the game. It really is hard if you lose a FO in your own end. You spend so much energy trying to get it back and can disrupt the flow of your game and possible any momentum you may have had.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There's been a lot of speculation, but I think it boils down to further analysis. My analysis is Fisher > Cousins

I agree, but I thought Cousins played a pretty good game with his hustle. If Fischer played like that last game he may have played regardless of the penalties he took.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If you only win 30% of your FO's you WILL be chasing the game. It really is hard if you lose a FO in your own end. You spend so much energy trying to get it back and can disrupt the flow of your game and possible any momentum you may have had.

You make up for lost face offs by forcing turnovers. Something we don't do enough of and commit way too often ourselves.

kbay

Apr 8, 2016
Goodyear, Arizona
Keller can really rip it when he wants to.

Love that he isn't afraid to take a shot - doesn't pass on too many of them. Laughed during the three-on-three OT with hime and Domi on the ice that between both of the there weren't not enough pucks on the ice for the two of them.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Two years ago we were the top or second best FO team IN THE LEAGUE with Carolina Tyson Nash couldn't stop talking about it all year long.

And how did that work out for us? Or even Carolina for that matter??

The problem with most stat jockeys here is you can't take a couple of different stats and made a whole load of presumptions based on them. Stats are the symptoms and not the actual problem.

It's what you do with the puck after you win a FO. IF you have the talent you have possession and can do things with it. Winning face offs is only one part of the equation to be successful.

Reactions: Mosby

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Fischer has only a few games in the NHL at this point and had 2 penalties last game. I don't think he is a difference maker or is being treated unfairly. I'll bet money that Reider/Richardson/Martinook all get more minutes next game after Tocc watches the tape. Tocc is finding his way, I'm not down on him or his decisions so far. Over time, he'll make adjustments and it is still really really early.

Yup. I don't blame Tocc either. Players have to take responsibility regardless of what system a team plays.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
For only the 2nd time since 2011-12, I left early.
After the 2nd period. I kept looking up at the jumbotron thinking, will the Yotes SOG ever go from 14 to 15??? It finally did near the end.
But, by that time, I was so bored with this new style of young guns and speed, which so far reminds me of rolling a ball to a group of 3rd graders on the playground at recess and watching the anarchy ensue, that I decided I was more interested in seeing what the Dbacks were doing with their 2-0 lead on the radio driving home....(not much)

Reactions: Naych_PHX

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This wasn't on Tocchet. It doesn't matter what goes on at the coaching level when you lose 7 out of 10 face offs. After the game I was torqued about all the blind passess and defensive and neutral zone turnovers. Still, with a 30% face off ratio it really doesn't matter.

Reminds me of the joke about the 2 generals sitting in a Paris cafe after WW2 and one says, by the way, who won the air war?

Reactions: Yandover

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
After the 2nd period. I kept looking up at the jumbotron thinking, will the Yotes SOG ever go from 14 to 15??? It finally did near the end.
But, by that time, I was so bored with this new style of young guns and speed, which so far reminds me of rolling a ball to a group of 3rd graders on the playground at recess and watching the anarchy ensue, that I decided I was more interested in seeing what the Dbacks were doing with their 2-0 lead on the radio driving home....(not much)
This is the worst post I've ever seen on this forum.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Sounds like you ought to have skipped the game for the Diamondbacks...

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
I think everyone needs to lighten up on expectations. Honestly, what did you expect, they lost a significant part of leadership and goal scoring during the off season. Depending on untested younger ELC players is perhaps expecting too much. Combine the youth and roster changes with a new coaching staff and style is asking a lot of this group. Give them time and remember this is a low cap team with youth and hope. Expectations need to be more realistic. Playoffs, are likely not in the picture this year, competitive, exciting play should be the hope.

Reactions: CC96 and Yandover

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

So you're saying you'd like to see more structure? :laugh:

Meh, I'd cut him some slack - he's entitled to his opinion and considering his extensive Military background, his need for structure is understandable.

Having said that, I could more easily understand frustrating, as opposed to boring.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
No, it's winning the face off, guys. What you do after the face off depends upon who has the puck. Winning face offs is the most important part of possession. Without face off wins, the only way to get puck possession is to force a turnover or wait for the other team to hand the puck over to you on a line change.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You make up for lost face offs by forcing turnovers. Something we don't do enough of and commit way too often ourselves.

We need both. We need to be closer to 50% on face offs and we have to force some more turnovers.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
LV has a more experienced line up and they looked like it last night too, more vets on their team.
To be real though... from my perspective at the game, Vegas looked like an expansion team for real. At least an early season expansion team. How many shots did they flub? Definitely should have scored more than they did.

Reactions: SniperHF

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I agree...unless you lose a faceoff in your own zone. I've seen a few goals across the league already generated right off the faceoff. Now with lots of clean wins/losses it's easier than ever. You lose a faceoff in your own zone, you're in trouble. If the other team plays it good enough, then the puck could well be in your net by the time you get to it.
Not easy to get to a puck if you're chasing in your own zone. Can't open shooting or passing lanes.

Apart from that, I agree that fore- and backchecking aren't good enough. It's something I predicted though. That's why I wanted 2,3 more vets. I don't see a point in trading the farm for a few vets just to finish in last place. Doesn't make sense to me.

I also don't get why the Coaches decided not to play the guys who're actually pretty good fore- and backcheckers. Rieder, Richardson, Martinook...heck even Fischer.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No, it's winning the face off, guys. What you do after the face off depends upon who has the puck. Winning face offs is the most important part of possession. Without face off wins, the only way to get puck possession is to force a turnover or wait for the other team to hand the puck over to you on a line change.
Yup.

It wasn't a well played game, but there in no use in hitting the panic button two games in.

This wasn't on Tocchet. It doesn't matter what goes on at the coaching level when you lose 7 out of 10 face offs. After the game I was torqued about all the blind passess and defensive and neutral zone turnovers. Still, with a 30% face off ratio it really doesn't matter.

Reminds me of the joke about the 2 generals sitting in a Paris cafe after WW2 and one says, by the way, who won the air war?

Correct. You can't win the game without the puck.

I have read much mulch worse. In fact, you and I probably have posted much worse.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We need both. We need to be closer to 50% on face offs and we have to force some more turnovers.
I agree...unless you lose a faceoff in your own zone. I've seen a few goals across the league already generated right off the faceoff. Now with lots of clean wins/losses it's easier than ever. You lose a faceoff in your own zone, you're in trouble. If the other team plays it good enough, then the puck could well be in your net by the time you get to it.
Not easy to get to a puck if you're chasing in your own zone. Can't open shooting or passing lanes.

Apart from that, I agree that fore- and backchecking aren't good enough. It's something I predicted though. That's why I wanted 2,3 more vets. I don't see a point in trading the farm for a few vets just to finish in last place. Doesn't make sense to me.

I also don't get why the Coaches decided not to play the guys who're actually pretty good fore- and backcheckers. Rieder, Richardson, Martinook...heck even Fischer.

This must be your first post that I mostly agree with.:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad