GDT: Game 2: Knights @ Coyotes | 6:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A | 620 AM

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I generally agree with XX, when I watch this team the discombobulated defense is what stands out.

Reactions: Yandover

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Outshot 44-28 by an expansion team and 1st game 41-30. Tonight the D men cleaned up their turnover problem, so that is good. Our PK was good again. Best news is Raanta, he was really good. Our top 4D were good in their own zone too.

Our best line in all 3 zones was Richardon/Martinook/Reider. They forechecked/backchecked/had good zone exits. Other than that line tonight, we have a forward problem. I saw it in the first game and confirmed it in this game. The forwards are late on the forecheck and don't back check in the neutral zone. This is making zone entry too easy. When our D men get the puck, the forwards aren't in a good position to get the first pass. It's great we have talented forwards on the rush, and I know everyone is enamored with our talent, but their incomplete as players at this level.

Reactions: kbay and Bandit34

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Raanta was fun.

The shots and faceoffs tonight were ridiculous.

Kempe has 1G 2A through the first 2 periods in Tucson tonight. Wonder if he gets a call.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Raanta was fun.

The shots and faceoffs tonight were ridiculous.

Kempe has 1G 2A through the first 2 periods in Tucson tonight. Wonder if he gets a call.

I'm still thinking we have to dump Rinaldo's suspension first before he gets the call. I wouldn't really want to send down Cousins or Fischer to make room for him just yet.

Reactions: _Del_

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not a good start with losses against an expansion team and against a badly banged up Ducks squad missing most of their top players.
Whoever came up with the brilliant idea to scratch Fischer deserves to get fired without asking further questions. I mean...seriously?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Forwards:
Very disappointed in Stepan's intensity level this game. Very passive. Keller was noticeably less engaged as well. Though you expect that from a rookie. Not Stepan. Strome needs to show something soon. Duclair was great. Most forwards good.

Defense:
Terrible decision making. Pass first, look second mentality. Just carelessly flipping pucks wherever. Just chucking the puck where the heplays ever. Extremely undisciplined. Poor communication. Low urgency. Very loose. Ugly as hell.

Raanta:
Wow. A+

rt

May 13, 2004
Two games. One against a crappy expansion team and one against an AHL plus lineup. Both losses and being badly outshot in both.

It still early. Thankfully.
Yep. We had a nice easing into real NHL play with a half strength Ducks team and a junk roster expansion team on the 2nd half of a back to back on the road. Blew a very friendly scheduling break to start the year. Time to wake the f*** up and get shit locked down much MUCH tighter.

Reactions: 0point1

rt

May 13, 2004
Sky isn’t falling, boys.

Lots of positives.
Fewer positives in this one. We talked all summer about being a "fast" team and all about how that doesn't mean fast skating necessarily but fast with the puck, fast decision making and passing. We are making very quick decisions with the puck. Way too fast. Decide first, evaluate second. Nobody is thinking about what they're doing with the puck. No look passes to nobody galore. No glancing just chucking it all over.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Well that was disappointing. Raanta was amazing. Just about everyone else was ok at best. Raanta was amazing. Duke was pretty good, so was Schenn. Raanta was amazing. Demers was much less bad. Raanta was amazing. The big difference on Thursday was that our forwards were dynamite and made up for our crappy Dmen, tonight pretty much the entire team was crappy. Also, Raanta was amazing.

It is only game 2, and to be fair I expected a slow start, but man was this a rough one. I guess on the bright side we've played 3 good periods of hockey. It's just unfortunate that 2 of them were on Thursday ending with a huge 3rd period collapse, and the other was tonight, followed by 2 periods of help me Raanta wan kenobi you're our only hope hockey.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Raanta was unbelievable in the 2nd. Strome's ass was firmly planted on the bench in the 3rd. At one point during a stoppage he went out to skate around just to stay fresh. Don't think he saw the ice after that anyway.

This game reminded me a lot of the preseason game against the Sharks. The first few minutes or so the team was firing on all cylinders. But Vegas found their game and Fleury's calming presence plays a huge role on that team. They are lucky to have him as an expansion franchise.

OEL still isn't right. Not sure if it's just his usual early season unevenness or something else but he's off. Similarly I think Domi is missing an extra gear he usually has.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Raanta was unbelievable in the 2nd. Strome's ass was firmly planted on the bench in the 3rd. At one point during a stoppage he went out to skate around just to stay fresh. Don't think he saw the ice after that anyway.

This game reminded me a lot of the preseason game against the Sharks. The first few minutes or so the team was firing on all cylinders. But Vegas found their game and Fleury's calming presence plays a huge role on that team. They are lucky to have him as an expansion franchise.

OEL still isn't right. Not sure if it's just his usual early season unevenness or something else but he's off. Similarly I think Domi is missing an extra gear he usually has.
I noticed the same about ollie and domi.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I noticed the same about ollie and domi.

It could certainly be something physical in both cases. Especially OEL after was helped off the ice in preseason.

But if it isn't physical I guarantee it has something to do with Domi not getting an A (out of 5 no less) and OEL not getting the C. The team didn't put out those callouts in the media about guys being out of game shape for nothing. I'd certainly hope it's not 2 members of your core.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Fun game to be at. Great atmosphere.
It wasn't for me. It was cringe worthy.

Look, this team has no clue what it's doing out there. Their passing was less crisp than the expansion team. Their positioning was worse than the expansion team.

And for G-d's sake, if you're going to trap, then f***ing trap. If you're going to forecheck, then f***ing forecheck. You can't let the puck carrier enter the zone completely unmolested. The D was a dog's breakfasts out there.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
^^^ You guys forget OEL had to be helped off the ice against San Jose because his knee got tangled up with Boedkker?????

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Tocc's comments @ about 1:00 in that video about guys playing a wide game and not supporting the puck were spot on.

The one thing I sort of disagree with him on in that video is he said Vegas didn't have a ton of grade A chances but did have a lot of chances in general. Vegas turned a lot of grade A chances into B-'s due to lack of skill or being slightly off in their redirects. There were a few times I thought for sure a puck was getting tipped in the net but they dunked it wide instead. Some of that is on early season lack of sharpness but the rest is their forwards just aren't high end. in the skill department for the most part.

Raanta came up big on first saves a few times and against a better team those would have been in the net on follow ups.

^^^ You guys forget OEL had to be helped off the ice against San Jose because his knee got tangled up with Boedkker?????

Since I mentioned it in my post, I'm about 98% positive I didn't :P
Can never been 100% sure 'round here.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I've got really low expectations this year. Couldn't watch tonight, and I leave tomorrow, so I'll miss a bunch more. I pretty much figured we'd start poorly. Young squad, massive turnover, new coach/system. Disappointed, but not shocked. It's all about progression this year.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Two days of rest then onto Sin City and a chance for redemption. Perhaps the contingent of Coyotes fans hitting the road can bring arrow signs to point them in the proper direction with the puck. The team owes Raanta a better effort. He slayed but could not deflect every attack on his own.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00