GDT: Game 2: Knights @ Coyotes | 6:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A | 620 AM

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Outshot 44-28 by an expansion team and 1st game 41-30. Tonight the D men cleaned up their turnover problem, so that is good. Our PK was good again. Best news is Raanta, he was really good. Our top 4D were good in their own zone too.

Our best line in all 3 zones was Richardon/Martinook/Reider. They forechecked/backchecked/had good zone exits. Other than that line tonight, we have a forward problem. I saw it in the first game and confirmed it in this game. The forwards are late on the forecheck and don't back check in the neutral zone. This is making zone entry too easy. When our D men get the puck, the forwards aren't in a good position to get the first pass. It's great we have talented forwards on the rush, and I know everyone is enamored with our talent, but their incomplete as players at this level.

I agree. Tocc may have to sit a couple more of the kids until they realize what they have to do to stay in the line up. I thought Domi and Duclair also played a good game.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Forwards:
Very disappointed in Stepan's intensity level this game. Very passive. Keller was noticeably less engaged as well. Though you expect that from a rookie. Not Stepan. Strome needs to show something soon. Duclair was great. Most forwards good.

Defense:
Terrible decision making. Pass first, look second mentality. Just carelessly flipping pucks wherever. Just chucking the puck where the heplays ever. Extremely undisciplined. Poor communication. Low urgency. Very loose. Ugly as hell.

Raanta:
Wow. A+

The forwards were not good. Like Cobra mentioned, they were weak on the back check and were out of position much of the night. The D did not have a great game, but the O have to take a great deal of blame for that. If the forwards are not in possession to take a pass what is the D to do?

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Do you really think benching Fischer was the difference in this game?

I love Reider but he only has marginally better hockey skill than Matt Lombardi. Another Coyote with elite speed and no finish. Postgame Tyson finally offered real analysis. He basically said “if Reider ever develops one move like Vrbata he would score 30 goals each year.”Until he develops such a move he will never be our best player. Toch was correct to play him on 4th line.

It was part of the problem and should have never happened.

You don't know what you're talking about. Rieder has two shots and one goal. He also was one of the most effective PP player last season and had one of the hightest shooting percentages as well. You shouldn't believe everything Nash says. He may be funny but that's mostly because he's a clown.

Rieder may not be the most skilled guy on the team but he's the most complete forward and if you play that guy for only 11mins you really shouldn't complain if your forwards crap the bed.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

You don't know what you're talking about. Rieder has two shots and one goal. He also was one of the most effective PP player last season and had one of the hightest shooting percentages as well. You shouldn't believe everything Nash says. He may be funny but that's mostly because he's a clown.

Rieder may not be the most skilled guy on the team but he's the most complete forward and if you play that guy for only 11mins you really shouldn't complain if your forwards crap the bed.

I'm not here to bash Reider. But I'm not sure from where you get your stats? The last 3 years Reider has averaged 17 minutes of ice time (that's a lot for a forward) but has only scored an avg of 16 goals. He has averaged a whopping 2 (actually like 1.5) power play goals/season. As I said, I like Reider. I only wish he was as good as you think he is.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I like Rieder too but he he's great at getting in position to score goals without the ability to finish. He gets tons of breakaways because of his speed and hockey IQ but he converts very few. He's still a valuable player even if he never improves as a goal scorer. The problem is he and his agent will want to be paid like a goal scorer and will say the only reason he isn't is because of usage which we know is bs. I'll be surprised if we're able to sign him long term. I see another Boedker type of situation. He asks for a shit load of cash and signs somewhere else for way less than what he wants.

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015

Hinterland, you’re off base. You’ve totally missed the boat on easily 3 things off the top of my head that you’ve said.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Our D were ok at defending , better than Anaheim game at least but man , I have never seen so many give aways . The 1st 8 minuites you could tell they were following the system. But after that it was total disaster..

The D could not complete a pass , or clear the puck . They would pass where the forward had to always turn around to get it .leaving them totally exposed for a big hit. Luckily that never happened . I am suprised nobody got hurt. If we were playing Los Angeles or Edmonton, one of those kids would have gotten creamed.

Las Vegas actually looked lime thy were following our system and executing , it made them look extremely fast. They just couldnt score.

Hate to see what happenes when we play a complete roster NHL team. 40 shots may seem like the low end.

Derek Stepan - has our number 1 center won a faceoff yet? I think Keller should be taking the draws , I dont think he has lost yet.. Could be wrong.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The forwards were not good. Like Cobra mentioned, they were weak on the back check and were out of position much of the night. The D did not have a great game, but the O have to take a great deal of blame for that. If the forwards are not in possession to take a pass what is the D to do?

The D has made bad decision after bad decision with the puck both games. I think that's been the biggest problem and it's been our problem for several years. The puck stays in the zone and you give up 4 shots instead of one. I'm hoping some of that is positioning with the forwards being in a new system but you have to admit a lot of it is just poor decisions. I'll be a lot happier when Chychrun is back. The way Tocc has spoken about him you'd think he'll be getting 2nd pairing minutes as soon as he's in hockey shape. They just have to find someone to play with him. I'm not liking any of our RH shot D as his partner so far. Less minutes for Goligoski will improve the D quickly though. He's frustrating to watch. More than anything I want to see the aggressiveness of the first game. Not only is it more fun to watch, I think it suits our forward talent more.

Reactions: Yandover

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Again, Rieder is not our best forward, and if you watched the first game Fischer took dumb penalties, like he did in preseason. The kid has to learn.

I’m assuming you’re replaying to a hinterland post? Can’t imagine he’s having much conversation on these boards after the garbage he spews.

We played awful last night, specifically that 2nd period.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
Watched the game off dvr this morning and McConnell and Nash made it sound more negative than it was in person last night.

Yes, agree with RT, I would split up Goligoski and Demers or one needs to change their style. I think Schenn has been a pleasant surprise after the first 2 games.

I really feel the team tried to have a more measured energy output from the Anaheim game and it went poorly in the 2nd period. That’s it. Sky isn’t falling. They know they need to play more up tempo & faster. Comments post game said as much.

Yes, this is an expansion team, but c’mon, they have a rock in net in Flower and James Neal as sniper. Lots of solid character guys that work hard. Not scrubs. This isn’t the expansion Sens or Thrashers. (Regardless of whatever GmGm is doing or trying to do or failing at doing)

Lots of shots given up, but not as many quality shots given up as it initially looks like on paper. Raanta was great. Hopefully he is a steal/consistent/#1. Played almost all rebounds into corners. What a difference from Looooooouie.

Reactions: AndrewYotes

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Reider is a valuable player even if he doesn't score as much as he should. His speed draws a lot of penalties, he's defensively responsible, and he puts pressure on the opponent

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I agree on Schenn roach, but I think he was about the same last year. I still think people have the occasional flashback to grossman and that's why they don't like him haha.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Not trying to fan any flames of hatred, but we got beat the same way DT would have beat us. I Doan think that is the style this team needs to play, but it's interesting just the same.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Our D were ok at defending , better than Anaheim game at least but man , I have never seen so many give aways . The 1st 8 minuites you could tell they were following the system. But after that it was total disaster..

The D could not complete a pass , or clear the puck . They would pass where the forward had to always turn around to get it .leaving them totally exposed for a big hit. Luckily that never happened . I am suprised nobody got hurt. If we were playing Los Angeles or Edmonton, one of those kids would have gotten creamed.

Las Vegas actually looked lime thy were following our system and executing , it made them look extremely fast. They just couldnt score.

Hate to see what happenes when we play a complete roster NHL team. 40 shots may seem like the low end.

Derek Stepan - has our number 1 center won a faceoff yet? I think Keller should be taking the draws , I dont think he has lost yet.. Could be wrong.

Stepan never was good in the dot. Our D has not played well, but much of that is on the forwards shoulders. As a team, we have not played well.

The D has made bad decision after bad decision with the puck both games. I think that's been the biggest problem and it's been our problem for several years. The puck stays in the zone and you give up 4 shots instead of one. I'm hoping some of that is positioning with the forwards being in a new system but you have to admit a lot of it is just poor decisions. I'll be a lot happier when Chychrun is back. The way Tocc has spoken about him you'd think he'll be getting 2nd pairing minutes as soon as he's in hockey shape. They just have to find someone to play with him. I'm not liking any of our RH shot D as his partner so far. Less minutes for Goligoski will improve the D quickly though. He's frustrating to watch. More than anything I want to see the aggressiveness of the first game. Not only is it more fun to watch, I think it suits our forward talent more.

Again, the D has not played well, but much is to do with the forwards not back checking, not in the right position to receiv

I’m assuming you’re replaying to a hinterland post? Can’t imagine he’s having much conversation on these boards after the garbage he spews.

We played awful last night, specifically that 2nd period.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Not certain why so many are upset here. Isn't what we're witnessing basically what most everyone predicted for early in this season?

This is my thought too. The first quarter of the season is gonna be all about growing pains. It sucks but it's part of the game. So much roster turnover and a new system. It's gonna be tough for a while boys but it's all about long term. We're 2 games in.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm not here to bash Reider. But I'm not sure from where you get your stats? The last 3 years Reider has averaged 17 minutes of ice time (that's a lot for a forward) but has only scored an avg of 16 goals. He has averaged a whopping 2 (actually like 1.5) power play goals/season. As I said, I like Reider. I only wish he was as good as you think he is.

Usage. Tippett used Rieder as a shutdown guy. Defensive zone starts against top competition. Few quality minutes, few offensive zone starts. Last season he only saw 95mins on the PP making him one of the most effective PP players. Only Vrbata, Domi, Hanzal and Burmistrov were better. Among the forwards with more than 100 shots he was the 2nd most effective just behind Hanzal...pretty impressive if you take into account that he didn't get too many quality or PP-minutes. Rieder also played a whopping 2:21 PK per game.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Rough game. But I can't imagine anyone thinking the team would have the new system figured out in game #2. Looked to me like a team trying hard to play a system theyre not yet familiar with. Players out of position, passes not connecting due to the high pace etc. Some players will need some time shaking off the instincts the old system gave them. Until then I expect us to have periods like last nights 2nd period.

And, there's positives. Raanta looks legit and we saw in game 1 glimpses of what our offense can look like.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
The stuff about being outshot by an expansion team and all that is... well, wrong, I believe. I think total professional games played would paint a better picture of how Vegas should look compared to the Coyotes.

In arena questions was: How many yotes this season made their NHL debut? Answer was 9.

That doesn't seem right.
I think that was a trick question. It read like "how many Yotes have made their NHL debuts this season?" while the answer told me that the question was actually "how many players made their Coyotes debut this season?"

Gdt creators: get your tanks ready
Nah. Too reactive; too soon. Personally, I found more to be optimistic about in the last month here than I had in the previous couple seasons.

Anytime OEL-Hammer are off the ice, the rest of the team is doing basically nothing unless they get an Ozone start. Chychrun can't come back fast enough.
Agreed. Chychrun, at the level of play I saw last year, will help this team a lot.

See, I poor at analyzing performances. I guess it isn't what I'm watching. Especially when I am at the game, not just a tv viewer. Last night though, even I could see how terrible Gogo and Demers were. I pray Chych gets up to speed quickly.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Oh yeah the in game trivia question, that was a question from last year. It even said Keller made his NHL debut Monday, but Thursday was the first game we played. I didn't check, but I'd bet the house that last year Keller made his debut on a Monday and we had 9 players make their NHL debut last year. The in arena host also started reading off a different question. Almost a guarantee they just put the wrong question up on the board, and it was from late last year.

Also I thought Demers was much better last night than in Thursday. Goose was better, but still close to disaster on damn near every shift.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I didn't see enough bad to put Demers and Goligoski on such the hot seat, at the game last night, so I watched recording this morning. Were they perfect? No, but overall they both played pretty well, the problems are indemic of the unfamiliarity with teammates and the system. I could be wrong, but most of what I saw was understandable.

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Rough game. But I can't imagine anyone thinking the team would have the new system figured out in game #2. Looked to me like a team trying hard to play a system theyre not yet familiar with. Players out of position, passes not connecting due to the high pace etc. Some players will need some time shaking off the instincts the old system gave them. Until then I expect us to have periods like last nights 2nd period.

And, there's positives. Raanta looks legit and we saw in game 1 glimpses of what our offense can look like.

I"m seeing a lot of apologetic posts to this effect. Vegas is a new team as well, and somehow they figured out their new system to the tune of 42 shots. There were so many things that were structurally wrong last night that I might even be inclined to blame the... never mind.

Reactions: SniperHF

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Well managed to watch about 8 minutes of the first period because FSAZ decided to run an extended DBacks post game replay about an hour over schedule. :madfire:

We didn't look that bad then so I would imagine it got worse after that. Did catch the highlights from NHL On The Fly and agree with rt about Stepan. He was puck watching in nearly every clip in the D zone.

Obviously the FO% was disastrous but couldn't help noticing the comment above about "chasing the game" because of it. Some folks are still stuck in the Dave Tippett cliche era I guess. ;) It's only the second game so it'll take time.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I"m seeing a lot of apologetic posts to this effect. Vegas is a new team as well, and somehow they figured out their new system to the tune of 42 shots. There were so many things that were structurally wrong last night that I might even be inclined to blame the... never mind.

MUCH more experience on the LV side of the tilt. And a much more "traditional" system.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

I was a lot more disappointed at what transpired in Anaheim. That was a winnable game if not for a few 1 on 1 plays by defenseman or at least a point out of it if Domingue hadn't flubbed that last goal.

Last night's game felt worse on the heels of that, and it wasn't exactly confidence inspiring either. But it wasn't a game they actually played all that well in outside of Raanta and a 5-10 minute stretch early in the first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->