GDT: Game 1: Sharks @ Ducks | 7:30 PM Pacific

How can fish hold their breath underwater for so long?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Their top players outplayed our tonight. Pavelski was better than Getzlaf, Burns better than Lindholm, etc. The Sharks absolutely deserved this game, it's up to the Ducks to actually show up in order to even this series up.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yep, Sharks absolutely deserved it. Our best players were doing their best Buffalo Sabres impression while also adding some nice Max Jones level penalties.
I do believe we will come out better in the Game 2

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I thought the ducks were trying to be overtly physical but couldn’t make a pass to save their life. The bad penalties caught up with them and the burns goal was game.

A team like San Jose won’t get run out a building with some big hits. The turnovers / passing was awful and led to us giving up scoring chances and taking bad penalties.

duckhead32686

El Capitan
Feb 17, 2008
Brea, CA
I thought the ducks were trying to be overtly physical but couldn’t make a pass to save their life. The bad penalties caught up with them and the burns goal was game.

A team like San Jose won’t get run out a building with some big hits. The turnovers / passing was awful and led to us giving up scoring chances and taking bad penalties.
Ducks are just a bad passing team. Other than Getzlaf (most of the time) if it’s tape to tape in stride it’s a miracle.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Didn't expect them to be here, but a badly coached team that has been maddeningly inconsistent doesn't really surprise in this, does it?

I'm still amazed they're in the playoffs, so what the heck!!

Reactions: Dmang714

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I still am not over that 2nd goal. Christ almighty, it’s Game 1 of the playoffs. How do you f*** up a line change so badly that it’s a clear cut 3v1?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

Carlyle-ception. The skating wasn't an issue, but it was and so were the hands and minds. :help:

At least the Ducks rear ends showed up as far as body parts go.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Played like ***, took stupid penalties, let Burns do whatever he wanted, got no rebounds, looked disorganized. Other than that, good game.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Even if that were the case the problem is the guys we acquire don't have enough clout/rapport in the locker room to go against the guys that are wearing the letters and going to be here no matter what because of their contracts.
This makes me wonder what would happen if we somehow move a Kes or Perry to make room for a star player who would have that clout in the locker room. Like a Karlsson...

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Seeing the game live, I don't know what has been said already in this thread, but when I watched parts of 4-5 other games the last few days, every single home team came out and skated like their feet were on fire the first period. They pushed the tempo and wanted to carry the play both with the puck and physically. The Ducks can look like that at times, and if ever they were going to do it, I figured it would be to start this game. It wouldn't last, but thought they would come out as hard as possible. Instead, it was the complete opposite. There was zero intensity coming out of the gate.

And obviously making things worse, they were handed some wide open chances early on with guys coming down the slot with the puck and a free pass to the net but always tried to pass it off to the wing instead of forcing Jones to make a save. Other than maybe one Kesler chance, I can't think of a single good save he made. And he looked shaky. He was booting rebounds on long distance shots with no traffic. And they didn't even attempt to make it hard on him.

I hate RC as much as anyone, but even he can't really be blamed for the egg they laid tonight.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Ducks are just a bad passing team. Other than Getzlaf (most of the time) if it’s tape to tape in stride it’s a miracle.
I turned on the game in start of the 2nd. Getzlaf made 2 really bad passes in a good situation, that were VERY easilly intercepted by the Sharks. Getzy is by far the best passer for us, but even he was making bonehead dishes. THose things kills momentum.

And then their line just get it behind the net, realise they can`t cycle it, all 3 come near at the same spot and the puck is going back and forth between us and the Sharks defensemen. No one is having more than a couple of miliseconds of the puck, and they are on or behind the red line. I think it is fairly easy to defend, as Sharks forwards took away the passing lanes even if someone miraculously find a way to dish it back to our defensemen. And I`ve seen this story way too many times the previous playoffs and it is not only on Carlyle. It`s just toothless hockey.

We made so many mistakes. I think Pens would burn us out more than they did Philly in their first game

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Maybe that's why BM is always trying to add another vetrean for the locker room. He knows Getz and Perry aren't great leaders, so he's trying to get guys who might actually be good leaders in the locker room.

This and I still don't understand some complains that Bod did not put the team in a position to win. He traded for Kesler, he traded for Henrique. He traded Anderson, he traded for Eaves, he traded for McGinn and Perron. He added Despres. Unfortunately Despres and Eaves had their big health issues afterwards. Bob has made his mistakes, sure, but he was really active to improve the roster.

The biggest problem of the Ducks is and always was, the best players are not the best when it counts. Surely not always but in crucial moments the Ducks get outplayed by the key players of the opponent. I don't know if this is a coaching issue or a player issue. Most likely it's something in the middle.

In the end of the day, I think Randy should be replaced.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
This seems awfully appropriate after this game (don`t press play if you`re under 18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad