GDT: Game 1: Sharks @ Ducks | 7:30 PM Pacific

How can fish hold their breath underwater for so long?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I keep telling myself it was just 1 game but man it was a really shitty 1 game and disappointing that the ducks always come out flat/undisciplined/uninspired.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
We're just not that good. We need to have a great performance to get a win. If we play average we get smoked.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
As bad as it was last night, the Ducks has so many chances to score, but it just didn't fall into the our wheels. Like, we're just a bit off on adjustment on passing and on the open rebounds. It just wasn't clicking. The 5-game winning streak team wasn't that same team last night.

If you watched the player interviews, for the most part, they all blame it on themselves. That's good to hear b/c it means we didn't put up our best and got beat; we put up a stinker and got beat. Welp, I hope that's true, otherwise it's gonna be a short appearance in the playoffs.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So Vermette gets in the lineup and only takes ONE faceoff? Isn't that what he's playing for?

Given that Bieksa will probably be back for G2 I expect a better effort from the team and a loss stemming from Bieksitis.
Ya if vermette is taking 1 faceoff... id rather see Terry in, move Ritchie down and just do
Rakell Getzlaf Perry
Cogs Kesler Silf
Kase Hernique Terry
Ritchie Grant Brown

and if perry is sucking on top line(or we are down) maybe swap 1 of terry/kase up to the top line.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Don't understand why they didn't give Terry more games in regular season

Reactions: Trojans86

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
There's no reason to have Vermette in the lineup. I could somewhat understand it if Grant were poor at face-offs, but he isn't. He wins 54% of his draws.

That is a complete waste of a lineup spot. It doesn't have to be Terry but there are 3 or 4 guys in San Diego that would be better suited for that role.

If Carlyle was actually committed to playing physical in your face hockey he wouldn't have a soft plug on the 4th line. Terry isn't being played because he isn't ready physically, fine, then get someone who actually might send a message in there. Call up Tropp or Liambis if you have to. It's not like you are going to play the 4LW position more than 6 or 7 minutes anyway.

I hate to sound like Dirk here, but we might as well go full goon because we aren't beating SJ with Carlyle's system (whatever the hell it is)

Last edited:
Reactions: Getz2perry

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Ya if vermette is taking 1 faceoff... id rather see Terry in, move Ritchie down and just do
Rakell Getzlaf Perry
Cogs Kesler Silf
Kase Hernique Terry
Ritchie Grant Brown

I agree. Ducks need more speed and creativity. Inserting Chimera for Vermette isn't going to do anything. At least putting Terry in the top 9 has a chance of producing offense.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
There's no reason to have Vermette in the lineup. I could somewhat understand it if Grant were poor at face-offs, but he isn't. He wins 54% of his draws.

That is a complete waste of a lineup spot. It doesn't have to be Terry but there are 3 or 4 guys in San Diego that would be better suited for that role.

If Carlyle was actually committed to playing physical in your face hockey he wouldn't have a soft plug on the 4th line. Terry isn't being played because he isn't ready physically, fine, then get someone who actually might send a message in there. Call up Tropp or Liambis if you have to. It's not like you are going to play the 4LW position more than 6 or 7 minutes anyway.

I hate to sound like Dirk here, but we might as well go full goon because we aren't beating SJ with Carlyle's system (whatever the hell it is)

San jose isnt very physical... i wouldnt worry about that edge much

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
San jose isnt very physical... i wouldnt worry about that edge much
I'd love to see us bully them, then. Throw them off their game. Start some fights. Why Manson and Ritchie weren't playing more physical last night is beyond me

Janka

Jan 5, 2009
Massachusetts
He wasn`t exactly slow but he looked... unwilling or with slow decisions. The Kane PP goal was brutal, Kes had his stick away from the middle. On one hand hard to blame him for being out on 3vs5 but on the other hand, I`m sure he is unhappy with his decision himself.

Kes did hit the post (we really needed that goal). And Kes`s wrestle takedown of Couture was quite hillarious, actually. Even though it ended with a penalty in the final minutes, I doubt we`d be able to crawl back anyway.
Since his injury, he has fought Toews, made drop downs like the one on Couture - he is strong on his skates. Isn`t at his top speed, but he just seems slow in some decisions. I guess it`s his agility that has been lacking?
Maybe @Janka has some comments?
I hope I got the username right tho :laugh:

Sadly, there is no medical basis for Kesler's terrible decision making skills yesterday :laugh:

Agility is one of the last things athletes get back, and takes extensive rehabilitation. Realistically, it's about a year and a half post-surgery before you see pre-injury form for a high level athlete.

Reactions: Kalv

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'd love to see us bully them, then. Throw them off their game. Start some fights. Why Manson and Ritchie weren't playing more physical last night is beyond me
Literally didn't notice Ritchie once last night, but that is an upgrade compared to all the shit I noticed with others.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
It was a trap game.

Ducks were red hot winning 5 straight.
Sharks were cold losing 5 of their last 6.

No worries here, Ducks will bounce back in Game 2.

Reactions: DaGeneral

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Defensively we weren’t terrible but also weren’t great. Offensively we just didn’t generate enough really dangerous chances. This team goes as Getzlaf goes and last night he didn’t go anywhere.

Guys who stood out in a good way were Montour, Cogliano, Brown and Silfverberg. Everybody else was either underwhelming or bad.

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad