GDT: Game 1: Flyers @ Shorks | 7:30 p.m. PDT | NBCS | KFOX

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
But then, Labanc may not have played to get those 2 goals he did.

I think that would've been Meier out of the lineup before Labanc. I just don't understand why nobody was brought in as a replacement. Can't just expect the entire team to make up for 27 goals even with all the disappointing seasons because you can't expect everyone to bounce back and take positive steps.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
Well that was craptastic! How dare this team get my hopes up everytime they tied the darn game!

Slow and Old this team is.

(brought to you by typical bitter the world is ending Shark fans after one game!)

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
As long as the offensive plan is to funnel pucks to the point for shots and look for deflections and rebounds, we're going to have a tough time scoring. Other than Burns, nobody on the point has a decent shot and people have learned to just block up high and use those blocks for transitions.

I think the core offensive system is flawed rather than the people in the lineup.

Reactions: nabbyfan

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
As long as the offensive plan is to funnel pucks to the point for shots and look for deflections and rebounds, we're going to have a tough time scoring. Other than Burns, nobody on the point has a decent shot and people have learned to just block up high and use those blocks for transitions.

I think the core offensive system is flawed rather than the people in the lineup.
I agree, and teams are figuring out how to combat the system and block Burns shots. If you noticed last night with the Flyers, the center would release from his man in the slot and charge at Burns and play bad goalie to block the shot. It worked several times and started their transition. The Sharks aren't generating nearly enough chances cycling with the forwards or on transition. The default play is just fire the puck up to the point where there are 5 minimally offensive defenseman shooting pucks into shin pads. It's all far too predictable.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
My biggest worry is that Wilson will pull off some big trade using up more assets for a player that isn't good enough to put us over the top. I'm done with Wilson, hopefully this is his last season.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
My biggest worry is that Wilson will pull off some big trade using up more assets for a player that isn't good enough to put us over the top. I'm done with Wilson, hopefully this is his last season.

Mine as well. This team's good enough to make another playoff run as is, especially if guys like Labanc, Meier, and Hertl can take the next step. A deadline rental isn't going to make a huge difference one way or the other so I'd rather keep the picks in the event we really do suck.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Mine as well. This team's good enough to make another playoff run as is, especially if guys like Labanc, Meier, and Hertl can take the next step. A deadline rental isn't going to make a huge difference one way or the other so I'd rather keep the picks in the event we really do suck.

I'm not terribly concerned about it simply because I don't think the team has the assets to really pull off some big player.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Too early to start freaking out but I do have a few concerns.

- 1st unit PP -> Struggled to get into the zone. Once in struggled to move the puck.
- PK -> Atrocious
- Dillon-Demelo -> 0 offensive capability
- Brent Burns -> Seemed off. Like he was skating with his head up his ***
- We definitely appeared slower than the Flyers.
- Timo, Hertl need to start showing a little more.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I'm not gonna push the panic button yet as that was the first real action in a long time and the team showed a lot of good things to go along with the really bad things. We did seem a step or two slow mentally pouncing on loose pucks but despite that controlled gameflow, so that is potentially positive.

Didn't get a chance to watch the game,
How did Thornton look?

He looked like he was never injured. Guy is a freak of nature. Even had one bigtime end to end backcheck where he wasn't anywhere near the guy and caught up to him enough to influence the play. That was incredible given the circumstances.

Thank you Doug, Tim, and Hasso!

You sure you're not missing someone?

PS my jury is still out but so far I kind of hate this new software. During the game, loading posts and such was a complete cluster.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
So many empty seats for the home opener is just sad.

Special teams will be a problem all season. This is probably the slowest team I've ever seen.

No clue why you don't try to replace Marleau and Schlemko's speed.

Were you at the game? Because I was and the turnout was similar to what I saw in the playoffs last year. Only a handful of empty seats for tickets that were probably unsold on the scalper websites. It probably looked that way on TV at the start of the period due to all the casual/corporate fans in the lower bowl that don't give a shit if they miss the first 5 minutes of a period.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I'm not a Sharks fan, but that defense looked awful last night. Oof, and that penalty kill. Jones never had a chance. I'm already regretting drafting Jones in both of my leagues.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I'm not a Sharks fan, but that defense looked awful last night. Oof, and that penalty kill. Jones never had a chance. I'm already regretting drafting Jones in both of my leagues.
Many of us are hoping that Tim Heed and Joakim Ryan will draw in. Burns and Martin did not look good together, if it continues down that road at least a few people (cough.. Jux... cough Haleydestroyednurse... cough.. like everyone else) would like to see Ryan slot in next to Burns, and Martin play with Heed on the 3rd pairing. Whatever happens with the current 3rd pairing is not really a concern of mine at the moment, but I'm all for trading one or both of them.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Jones was very, very bad.
Meier is not ready for the NHL, it seems. He looked absolutely terrible, even lost, a lot of the time. Probably the worst Skater
DeMelo looks very good defensively.
Donskoi was occassionally OK, same with Boedker, but they were both mostly garbage.
Thornton looked very good.
Burns picked up where he left off last season - bad.
Still, winnable game.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Jones was very, very bad.
Meier is not ready for the NHL, it seems. He looked absolutely terrible, even lost, a lot of the time. Probably the worst Skater
DeMelo looks very good defensively.
Donskoi was occassionally OK, same with Boedker, but they were both mostly garbage.
Thornton looked very good.
Burns picked up where he left off last season - bad.
Still, winnable game.
I agree with most of this, but do not agree on DeMelo at all :(

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If it makes you guys feel better, it doesn't look like we're doing that 3-1 formation on the PK anymore.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Good news...

At AM skate, Hansen has been rewarded for his great performance and has been promoted to the Couture line to replace Donskoi who drops to the Hertl line.

shorkie88

Jun 11, 2015
Calgary
The more important question is what they did with ward... I don't think either Hansen nor donskoi were a "problem" last night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad