GDT: Game 1: Flyers @ Shorks | 7:30 p.m. PDT | NBCS | KFOX

GodHatesTheSharks

Nov 20, 2010
So many empty seats for the home opener is just sad.

Special teams will be a problem all season. This is probably the slowest team I've ever seen.

No clue why you don't try to replace Marleau and Schlemko's speed.

Reactions: Bleedred

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So many empty seats for the home opener is just sad.

Special teams will be a problem all season. This is probably the slowest team I've ever seen.

No clue why you don't try to replace Marleau and Schlemko's speed.
Don't think that straight up speed is the issue considering how well the 1st line played.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Honestly, I hope we can continue to be this tremendously bad all year, this team is in dire need of a last place finish, it sure sounds a lot better than a 12th place finish or whatever middle of the road, 2012 Calgary Flames-esque wheel of mediocrity this team has set it's self up for

I'm actually convinced that finishing 31st is better than finish 2nd, at least there is a morbid hilarity to be found in genuine awfulness as opposed to the bitter, hollow heartbreak of being really good, but just not good enough

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Honestly, I hope we can continue to be this tremendously bad all year, this team is in dire need of a last place finish, it sure sounds a lot better than a 12th place finish or whatever middle of the road, 2012 Calgary Flames-esque wheel of mediocrity this team has set it's self up for

I'm actually convinced that finishing 31st is better than finish 2nd, at least there is a morbid hilarity to be found in genuine awfulness as opposed to the bitter, hollow heartbreak of being really good, but just not good enough
I'm apparently in the minority but the team definitely has it in them to be that bad under the right circumstances but circumstances that are definitely possible and don't exactly require season-ending injuries.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I'm apparently in the minority but the team definitely has it in them to be that bad under the right circumstances but circumstances that are definitely possible and don't exactly require season-ending injuries.

I fear that the worst (best????) case scenario is finishing in the bottom 10 and picking around #9 again, netting us another good, not great, certainly not gamebreaking player

There's too much actual trash in the league between VGK, VAN, DET, FLA, BUF, COL, and the like, the Sharks can coast on talent to enough wins to accidentally ruin a tank

Then again, we did just lose the f***ing Flyers at home, so maybe there is hope. . .

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Season is over after one game, eh? You'd think with the facelift the board got, maybe the hot takes would subside.

The season was over after a team that couldn't score goals lost a 27 goal scorer and replaced him with literally nothing

We barely made the playoffs last year, lost to a shit Oilers squad with like 6 good players on their whole team, and brought back a worse version of the same team but a year older and slower

I don't see it as a "hot take" to point out that the '17 Sharks were mediocre and that the '18 Sharks are mediocre-er

Reactions: hohosaregood

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Sharks looked like they had more jump. Everyone had bad moments and good moments. Jones was strong late but wasn't good overall.

The off-season had a very 2015ish feel to it.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Is Labanc as promising as he looked in this game? He looked pretty damned good from what I saw of him tonight!

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Grades for this game

5 on 5 play - A
Power play - C (yeah, two goals but it looked like the dead Steve Spott special from last year for most of the time)
Goaltending - D- (not because he allowed 4 goals but goals 1 and 2 were on him and really stoppable)
Penalty kill - F---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That enough minuses for the penalty kill? I'm not sure it is....

Couldn't watch this game, but was able to checkout the condensed game highlights. Jones looked like he made 5-6 unbelievable saves. Are you being harsh on him or did he really have a horrible game. The highlights looked like the D failed pretty hard for much of the night. Breakaways and grade A chances right in front of the net.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Couldn't watch this game, but was able to checkout the condensed game highlights. Jones looked like he made 5-6 unbelievable saves. Are you being harsh on him or did he really have a horrible game. The highlights looked like the D failed pretty hard for much of the night. Breakaways and grade A chances right in front of the net.
Lots of softies and pretty bad about rebound control imo. He let a lot of those chest shots drop right in front of him. It was not an awe-inspiring performance at the very least.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
The season was over after a team that couldn't score goals lost a 27 goal scorer and replaced him with literally nothing

We barely made the playoffs last year, lost to a **** Oilers squad with like 6 good players on their whole team, and brought back a worse version of the same team but a year older and slower

I don't see it as a "hot take" to point out that the '17 Sharks were mediocre and that the '18 Sharks are mediocre-er

We didn't "barely make the playoffs last year", we had a 9-point lead in the division and ran out of gas. And there are a host of factors why that happened and why scoring was down (injuries to players like Donskoi, fatigue from a long season +condensed schedule, etc). In the Playoffs, we lost to a team with the best player in the world, AND were in the series the whole time. Did you forget game 3 was lost on one bad turnover? Did you forget game 5 was an OT loss? Do you forget our #1 and #2 centers were crippled with injuries?? Stop acting like we got blown out.

This is a very, very strong team defensively, and just lost GAME 1 due to really poor penalties taken and 2 deflection goals. Your doomsday speculation is foolishly uninformed

Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If you only had turned it on after the score was 2-0 Flyers, he appeared to have a good game. The first two goals were really bad. First was Jones playing the puck in the trapezoid and giving it away right to Voracek, who passed it to Giroux into the empty net, before Jones could get back into the net.

Second goal was on a shot that looked pretty harmless. I don't remember if he was just off his angle and it went far side or if it snuck right through him. A pretty poor goal either way. It looked like it could have slightly been deflected by DeMelo, who tried to block it. I don't think it was. There was also another point early in the 2nd, where he was almost beaten on a wraparound, which Martin seemed to save for him. A lot of routine rebounds, that he made adventurous too. The last two goals were tipped a couple feet away and he really had no chance on them. The first two were ugly.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I try to be an optimist, this board can make it hard sometimes given the pessimism that can dominate here from time-to-time.

But I really have a bad feeling about this year and the next few years.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We didn't "barely make the playoffs last year", we had a 9-point lead in the division and ran out of gas. And there are a host of factors why that happened and why scoring was down (injuries to players like Donskoi, fatigue from a long season +condensed schedule, etc). In the Playoffs, we lost to a team with the best player in the world, AND were in the series the whole time. Did you forget game 3 was lost on one bad turnover? Did you forget game 5 was an OT loss? Do you forget our #1 and #2 centers were crippled with injuries?? Stop acting like we got blown out.

This is a very, very strong team defensively, and just lost GAME 1 due to really poor penalties taken and 2 deflection goals. Your doomsday speculation is foolishly uninformed

We'll see if this team is still strong defensively. They haven't been a strong defensive team on the PK in the DeBoer era...even a little before that. With the losses of Schlemko and Marleau and using the kids to replace them, their defensive play is going to take a hit and how that impacts the team is really yet to be seen. There's enough holes in the lineup where those leaks sink the ship defensively. I agree the team was close last year to beating the Oilers and injuries pretty much did them in but that doesn't mean anything to now. There was not a lot to like about the team defensively last night. They gave up way too many chances and they're pretty slow throughout the lineup. And if last night is any indication, any sort of being undisciplined can kill them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad